Learning about razors - ID and date this one?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Epimetheus, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Epimetheus

Epimetheus Well-Known Member

This Gillette razor has a serial of 4887 and a diamond pattern on the handle. What is the date range and type of this razor?

I am thinking it would be handy to have images of the various razors on the Gillette date code pages.

[​IMG]

2. Streambrewer

Streambrewer Active Member

Based upon the serial number and finish, I believe it is a 1924 Richwood or Bostonian variant of the New Improved line. That may be silver plated, so that would make it a New Standard Silver. I looks like a good condition example. I have found some variation in the manufacturing tolerances, but they are in many ways the best of the Gillette open comb DEs. As always, YMMV.

Definitely a New Improved. The serial number system is a little bit less consistent and most of the websites that list serial numbers don't quite line up with the five digit numbers, but they seem to be the common thread of the New Improved models of the dozen or so that I have seen in person, whereas the seven digit numbers shown on the online guides are seen on the Model 102 Old Type line.

Enjoy, I hope you are using it. I love to see these brought back to their former glory and useful tools.

Greg Becker and Herm2502 like this.
  3. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Nice find. Great razor. I believe this is what Steambrewer is talking about.

1921 New Standard silver.jpg

Jayaruh and Streambrewer like this.
  4. Streambrewer

Yup, that's it. I forgot to put in the link to the Mr. Razor website: http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/New Improved/New Improved.htm

Here is one of the sites that has the date codes (http://www.razorarchive.com/gillette-date-codes), but I think that they leave out all of the five digit codes from the New Improved line. To me it looks like we are often assuming that the number are consistent for date coding for the first digits (ie. 46___) Several others have copied this information, but I would like to know the original source if someone is up on that.

PLANofMAN and Herm2502 like this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I believe the original serial number project was done over on B&B, about eight or nine years ago.

6. Epimetheus

Epimetheus Well-Known Member

If I could only locate it again on eBay. Should have bookmarked it

No real rush. There are many different models and I am beginning by selecting razors for particular purposes.
    So far, these are on the way, each with a very different feel
    • A Tech open comb with a fat handle,
    • a Tech closed comb with the ball handle,
    • an adjustable Black Beauty

7. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

It´s not a New Improved, it´s a NEW DeLuxe. With serial number the razor was made 1930. He comes Chromium and Gold plated (in UK Silver plated too). He comes in a metal case as "Belmont" or in a leather case as "Criterion".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  8. Streambrewer

Very good, thanks for the correction! Even more nice.

9. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

could y'all help identify this one? 20151103_230938.jpg
    it seems exactly like my new standard, except the tail piece is marked like a bulldog. 20151103_230903.jpg
    then I can only make out 25A for a serial number. 20151103_230850.jpg
    any help would be appreciated.

10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Frankenrazor?

11. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

could be, that would explain the odd knurling on the end. but, it's all finished in silver, and aged alike. I sorta doubt someone replated it twenty years ago.
    then there is the serial number, three digits( two numbers and a letter) doesn't match any standard I've seen. although, somewhere I saw that the A designates US manufacture.
    I'm thinking early model put together from on hand parts(factory done).