Learning to hone

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Linuxguile, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

You must be familiar with the : how to kill a razor video from Dr Matt?

2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    Dr Matt..Hes a Clown..He Talks Utter Crud..Mostly..His Crud Get Regurgitated in Forums by Some..How Sad..:rofl:

Billy..:chores016:

Paul76, RezDog, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  3. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

I messed up a few razors as a novice to make them pass the tap and wobbletest, but it got me thinking.

But a look at used razors tells me it is a huge problem!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2018
    Paul76 and Keithmax like this.
  4. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Quit bloody honing and get back into double edge shaving because you're missing out on a very simple shave that gets the job done.

5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

It's not about "Getting the job done". It's about "Getting the job done, in style". Plus, my face likes the way a straight shaves, even more than a good DE razor shaves.

picturerock, Paul76, Steve56 and 5 others like this.
  6. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I find that ~80% of my shaves with a straight give less irritation than my DE shaves. Yeah, maybe my DE technique could use some work, but my technique with a straight has come on leaps and bounds :D

Paul76, Jim99, BaylorGator and 3 others like this.
  7. SevenEighth

SevenEighth Well-Known Member

You are right. Maybe I should just go back to electric? That way I don't have all the hassle of soaps, brushes and blades either.

:)

Paul76, Jim99, mrchick and 3 others like this.
  8. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Quit bloody electric shaving this will give too much irritation and your electricity bill will up, electricity bill cost you a lot more than your double edge blades, tallow or triple mill shaving soaps and a synthetic shaving brush.

If you buy 100 double edge blades will give you at least two years worth of shaves, tallow or triple mill shaving soap will give you at least 6 or 7 months worth of shaves, and finally, a synthetic shaving brush will last you forever.

Forget about electric shaving throw it out the bloody window and start using modern razors wet shaving.

9. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

“It’s your shave, enjoy it his way!” said no-one, ever.

Paul76, Steve56, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  10. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Edison Carter likes this.
  11. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

Isnt that a chinese expression?

Keithmax, AGHisBBS and BaylorGator like this.
  12. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

SOTD June 20th
    [​IMG]

Gold Dollar "Vintage 2017" (Gold logo, Olive wood scales)
    Gold Dollar 66
    1953 Gillette Tech w/ Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp Stainless
    Palmolive shave stick
    Satin Tip The Purest (22mm, Corvette Class)

I decided to do a test shave with the two Gold Dollar razors I honed last week. I threw caution to the wind and did the first full WTG pass with the straights(BTW this was my first straight shave ever!). Did the left side of my face with the Vintage '17. The blade cut well and felt pretty comfortable. I was able to wipe away lather and whiskers with ease. I did nick myself pretty good on the side of my lip but other then that no blood was drawn. On the right side of my face and neck I felt that the GD 66 wasn't quite as sharp at the '17 and it had a little bit of hesitation when cutting the whiskers.

I'll take the 66 back to the 3k and work it back up from there.

13. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

Now, learning to shave with a self honed knive,... brave!

14. Linuxguile

OR stupid. But thank you!

15. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    See this spot

[​IMG]

This is one of the various issues that GD's tend to have, and it might be causing you a small problem

Try using a Colored Marker Red or Black is usually best, and color the edge, do the honing stroke and see if the Bevel is in full contact with the hone
    Often times that thick heel on the GD's will cause the last 1/2 inch or so to lift from the hone :(

Obviously trying to help by using pics on the internet is a WAG at best :) but the Magic Marker test is a great help to new honers.

Hone On !!!

Paul76, Jim99, Steve56 and 5 others like this.
  16. Linuxguile

Thanks Glen, Ill give it a try. BTW this razor is the one that gave me the better shave.

Paul76, Edison Carter and gssixgun like this.
  17. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

It's a good thing you are using GD Razors, because those spines are wearing down pretty fast. You might start using tape, because that much spine wear will effect the bevel. Also, learn not to use so much pressure, if you are doing that, especially on the spine.

18. Linuxguile

It may or may not have been the right thing to do. But the spine wear was intentional to correct the geometry of the razor.Will I do this on a vintage razor that I am trying to hone? No. Next razor I try to hone from the bevel up will be taped and I will try to work through any issues that the blade may have.

19. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

rather extreme heel leading strokes are often a good idea for the gold dollar heel problem,

but first get the steel cutting, then get it cutting over the whole edge, and after that you can start wondering about the looks.
    Just kill the edge each day and go grom bevel to shaveready to get honing in your fingers.

20. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

:)
    Great post Andrew. I started shaving occasionally with a straight three months ago and quickly figured out that keeping a great edge on my razors was going to be a lot harder to master than shaving. I invested in a pile of water stones, a black Arkie and even a translucent Arkie (and matching pocket stones to true them). THEN the weather got warm, my son got out of school and I got too busy to learn the art of sharpening right now.

I haven’t lost my desire, just my time and quiet environment. For now. I’ll happily follow your journey for now though.:)