Learning to hone

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Linuxguile, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Yep, yep, that overground show-side heel is a common feature - odd that the other side doesn't seem to be overground at least not as often and not so bad. It isn't unheard of with mainstream razors, but appears on Gold Dollars with frustrating regularity. Some of them you'll have to lift the toe to hone that heel. Or put a layer of tape or two on the toe to lift it.

Cheers, Steve

2. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

You do realise that there is another journey?

Most people start with a shaveready blade, and they maintain the edge with leather and if required a dini

3. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

Yeah I know, but in for a penny, in for a pound.;)

4. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Today I honed these two:
    [​IMG]

For the GD66 I killed the edge on the corner of the stone and brought it back on the 3k and used the sharpie test to make sure I was hitting the entire edge, from there I took it to the 8k and then the Coti.

For the Shumate I taped the spine and it took a bevel on the 1k King rather quickly. I also killed the edge on this razor and brought it back on the 3k. From there we sharpie tested and then too it up to the 8k and finished in the Chinese Natural.

Both of these razors are tree topping arm hair after being stropped. Will test shave them next week.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

5. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

Time on the stones,testshaving and back on the stone, try to learn from mistakes, thats how we all learn.

A little thong about the gd heel, try to get it rounded, the little spike in the rear looks dangerous!

Keithmax, Linuxguile and SevenEighth like this.
  6. Linuxguile

BTW Bevel setting the Shumate was 1000 times easier then the Gold Dollars

7. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

Just watch out not to put a frown on it,...

8. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I need to read this from the beginning and see what I can pick up.

I can get things shaving but not the way I like. I've started to amass a handful of stones but can't quite get the edge in lookong for.

Good luck to all those trying to figure this out.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

9. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

one thing that I picked up from glen and Lynn’s videos on honing is to have your forearm level with the hone. It seems to really help me to keep the pressure at a minimum and even along the razor. And a tip that I believe Rez gave me for ones that have geometry issues was to use two layers of tape and so that it wears to keep the edge and spine in good contact with the hone.

10. Linuxguile

SOTD June 26th
    [​IMG]

Gold Dollar 66
    Shumate 3o
    Jayaruh Woody w/ Gem Stainless
    Palmolive Classic shave stick
    Satin Tip The Purest

Another day of edge testing. Right side with the GD66 left with the Shumate. Both were very nice, able to wipe away the lather and whiskers without hesitation. I think in a general sense that I would like my edges to be a bit crisper. I don't know if this means I should spend more time on the finishing stones or more time in the lower grits.

11. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Try cutting your finishing pressure in half.

Cheers, Steve

12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

You off to a very good start. My one Big suggestion would be to invest in a decent strop. ILLINOIS makes good strops for the money. A good strop can refine an edge, greatly.

13. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

I’m gonna second @DaltonGang

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

Great videos to watch that are current and up to date are Keith Johnson @Tomonagura or tomonagura.com he keeps it very plain and simple. Rambles on a bit too much and doesn’t quite give too much feedback but when he does his videos and you watch him you can learn a hell of a lot. And listen when he talks about stones, differences and naguras that man has a talent for this stuff. I’d drop other names that really helped me but I’m not sure they would want to be disclosed. If you need any help as well I’d be glad to give you a few pointers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Linuxguile

SOTD June 28th
    [​IMG]

Gold Dollar 66
    Jayaruh Woody w/ Gem Stainless(2)
    The Blades Grim "Cinder"
    JR #134 (24mm, Frigate Class)
    At the suggestion of Keith @Keithmax I took the GD to the high grit lapping films 3um and then 1um. I then gave it 10 laps on the CRoX and then 10 on the FEoX and it ended up wicked sharp. No tugging whatsoever and I was able to use super light pressure to just wipe away the lather and whiskers. I did let the angle get too steep once and had a bad setdown so there was blood on steel this morning. I did two passes with the GD and found myself in a mostly DFS state so all that was left for Woody was a bit of clean up.

Billyfergie, Keithmax, Paul76 and 6 others like this.
  16. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Great news.:happy088::happy088:

Billyfergie and Linuxguile like this.
  17. Linuxguile

Thanks Scott! Shaving off an edge that you created yourself is a really cool feeling. That being said after using the lapping film I have a feeling that the grit ratings on my generic waterstone are somewhat overrated. Off the 8k waterstone the bevel has a somewhat frosted look to it. Off the 3um lapping film, which should be about equivalent to the 8k, the bevel had a much more polished look to it. Off the 1um film the bevel was mirror like.

Billyfergie, Keithmax, Paul76 and 4 others like this.
  18. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

Now it is time to experiment to find your perfect edge! Soft, sharp enough and not to sharp

19. Linuxguile

[​IMG]

Took this ZY stainless to the hones this morning. These are sold as shave ready honed by their master honemeister. The middle of the blade was very sharp but the heel and toe weren't even close. I taped the blade and set the bevel on the King 1K. It didn't take long for everything to come into shape and then I gave it the sharpie test and found out that I needed to spend a little more time on the heel and toe. After the King I went straight to the lapping film progression (5,3, and 1 micron). The bevel came out looking like a mirror and this baby is tree topping arm hair!

I have to say honing this razor was way easier then the Gold Dollars and if someone were looking to get a razor to learn on I would recommend the ZY over the GD.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

Billyfergie, Keithmax, Paul76 and 4 others like this.
  20. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

Glad it’s working out for you! Up until very recently, I only used lapping films, and a barbers hone. I think films are a very good way to learn.
    I myself have a lot to learn about using stones, but it’s been fun learning. Lapping films are pretty straight forward, and give great results. I started by maintaining razors I purchased that were shave ready, then moved to honing antique store finds. I set bevels on 12 mic. films, and keep moving up from there on the “grits”. Using films taught me a lot. Keep it up, it sounds like you’re doing great. :happy088: