Leather Crafts

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Sara-s, Jul 7, 2022.

1. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Working on a little project- leather grips for my rubber-band pistol. Here they are;

1788E9BA-9AC2-4B65-B548-6D72375873F6.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
    Hembree, Enrico and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I made a little mini-basket. I had just enough leather for a 6” x 6” square.
    83D15FBB-3BDC-40B5-A316-2B7BDB01916A.jpeg B7EA24C8-AD1D-4988-8587-F71500FFE558.jpeg

3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Started a new project today. I am making a little pouch for a pair of thread snips. So far, it has been cut, stamped, punched & dyed.

I plan to hand-sew it, so I had to punch holes for that. I have the requisite punches-they look like sharpened forks- but getting a perfectly straight line of stitch holes isn’t easy. This is the first time I have used these tools so the line is a little crooked. Not to worry- I know it will take a little practice and it will still be usable.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I believe there's a tool that you run along the edge (not the edge trimmer) that will impress an even line x distance in from the edge. Then just follow your punch along that line.

Sara-s likes this.
  5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I know the tool you mean. I actually have it & didn’t think to use it.

6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I’ve done the stitching. The stitches are fine, but I didn’t do that good a job punching the stitch holes, to make a straight line. It’s the first time I have done this, so I’m not beating myself up over it.

The last thing I need to finish, is a button stud. Turns out I don’t have the right size, so I ordered some more.
    Here it is, so far;
    869CC59D-4A23-44F9-93AE-BF344DDB214F.jpeg

7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I have a marking wheel. It leaves a line of dots to guide placement of the pricking iron (the hole-punching fork).

I used it for this practice piece. (Not perfect, but much better)
    FDF7AF3A-734A-4D07-AC8B-2B9CDE7BE0E3.jpeg

swarden43 likes this.