Leaving a blade in your razor...?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by btbill, Sep 24, 2013.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

In my opinion that's just a disclaimer. Check out the one below for the disposable razor!

On Food

On the case of a chocolate CD in a gift basket: Do not place this product into any electronic equipment.

On a jar of peanut butter: May contain nuts.

On a bag of Doritos: You could be a winner! No purchase necessary. Details inside.

On sugarless Bubble Yum: Use of this product may be hazardous to your health. This product contains saccharin, which has been determined to cause cancer in laboratory animals.

On A Cup Of Coffee: Caution! Contents are HOT!

On the bottom of a Tesco's Tiramisu dessert: Do not turn upside down.

On a roll of Life Savers: Not for use as a flotation device.

On Lychee Jelly: The people under 3 years old or more than 60 years old are fobidden to eat alone.

On a box of wine: Do not drink and walk in the road, you may get killed!

On a bottle of NOW Super Omega 3-6-9 fish oil softgels: Do not eat freshness packet. Keep in bottle.
    On a carton of eggs: Allergy Advice: Contains Egg.

On a box of Betty Crocker Turtle Brownies: Brownies made in 8-inch square pan are not acceptable.
    Household Items

On an "Aim-n-Flame" fireplace lighter: Do not use near fire, flame, or sparks.

On a hair dryer: Do not use in shower. Never use while sleeping.

On Tampax Tampons: Remove used tampon before inserting new one.

On ACT Childrens Oral Rinse: Keep out of reach of children.

On Lady Speed Stick Deoderant: For external use only.

On the package of an Ace Garden Hose: Do not spray water into an electrical outlet. Severe electrical shock could result.

On a lawnmower: Do not place hands or feet under mower when engine is running.

On a package of Just For Men haircolor: This product must not be used for dying eyelashes or eyebrows. To do so may cause blindness.

On a bottle of Head and Shoulders Shampoo: For external use only.

On Boot's Children's cough medicine: Do not drive car or operate machinery.
    On a Korean kitchen knife: Warning keep out of children.

On a disposable razor: Do not use this product during an earthquake.

On a can of Fix-a-Flat: Not to be used for breast augmentation.

On a calendar: Use of term "Sunday" for reference only. No meteorological warranties express or implied.

On a Medela Pump in Style breast pump: "Close supervision is necessary when this product is used by, on, or near children or invalids."
    Toys and Other Items For Children

On a frisbee: May contain small parts.

On a portable stroller: Remove infant before folding for storage.

On a child sized Superman costume: Wearing of this garment does not enable you to fly.

On an infant's bathtub: Do not throw baby out with bath water.

On a Magic 8 Ball: Not advised for use as a home pregnancy test.

On the packaging of the recently released Original episodes of Sesame Street DVDs: Intended for grown-ups, and may not suit the needs of today.

On a package of stickers at Petco: Not intended for use by children. May leave sticky residue.

On a child's blow up pool: Warning: No diving! You may become paralyzed.
    Misc. Items

On a cardboard sunshield that keeps the sun off the dashboard: Do not drive with sunshield in place.

On a cardboard baler: Do not climb in to sit or sleep.

On most Sentry Flea Shampoos for dogs and cats, in the First Aid section: Rinse skin immediately with plenty of water for 15-20 minutes. Call a poison control center or doctor for treatment advise.

On most dog toys: This toy is not suitable for children.

On a box of ball bearings: warning may contain small parts not for use by children.

On a Petco brand dog muzzle: Not suitable for children.

Armor-All wipes: Not to be used for personal cleansing!

In the instruction manual for an iPod Shuffle: Do not eat iPad Shuffle.

2. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team

You forgot Happy Fun Ball:

Warning: Pregnant women, the elderly, and children under 10 should avoid prolonged exposure to Happy Fun Ball.
    Caution: Happy Fun Ball may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.
    Happy Fun Ball contains a liquid core, which, if exposed due to rupture, should not be touched, inhaled, or looked at.
    Do not use Happy Fun Ball on concrete.
    Discontinue use of Happy Fun Ball if any of the following occurs:
    • itching
    • vertigo
    • dizziness
    • tingling in extremities
    • loss of balance or coordination
    • slurred speech
    • temporary blindness
    • profuse sweating
    • or heart palpitations.
    If Happy Fun Ball begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.
    Happy Fun Ball may stick to certain types of skin.
    When not in use, Happy Fun Ball should be returned to its special container and kept under refrigeration. Failure to do so relieves the makers of Happy Fun Ball, Wacky Products Incorporated, and its parent company, Global Chemical Unlimited, of any and all liability.
    Ingredients of Happy Fun Ball include an unknown glowing green substance which fell to Earth, presumably from outer space.
    Happy Fun Ball has been shipped to our troops in Saudi Arabia and is being dropped by our warplanes on Iraq.
    Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
    Happy Fun Ball comes with a lifetime warranty.

and I add: DO NOT SHAVE with Happy Fun Ball. :happy097:

brit, Latherin’ Luddite and Dansco like this.
  3. btbill

btbill Member

Yes, since I'm lazy... and I change the blade after 3 shaves, I'm going to leave it in....

PLANofMAN and maltedmilk like this.
  4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

That's there so you don't dull the edge or, in today's society, cut yourself and try to sue.

fram773 likes this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Same here, with the exception of putting the blade into a container.

6. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I rinse with hot water after each use (in the razor), shake it, and set it in the medicine cabinet ready to go the next morning. After the 3rd shave it gets tossed. The fewer times it gets handled, the better. Str8s I dry off however.

7. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

I use a different razor everyday. I remove the blade, rinse it off, dry it with a towel and put it in the cabinet with a few small desiccant bags nearby to suck up any moisture. I also towel dry the razor. For a TTO I leave it open and I leave the 3 piece razors apart until the next morning. That way there is no chance for the blade to start to rust and stain my razors.

8. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

They put that on there because they don't want you to wipe the numbers off. That would be disastrous.

9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    With my DEs and GEMs I rinse with hot water, disassemble and towel dry. I hand strop the blade and return it to the razor for the next shave. My Shicks, however, are just rinsed and remain in the razor until replaced. I have had no problems with rust. I only use stainless steel blades.

10. galhatz

galhatz Member

Stainless steel - don't leave a blade period. I have a Traders SB, blades develop rust in it. Happens a lot with Weber as well.
    Plated razor - never encountered any issues.

11. jkarp_53

jkarp_53 Member

I always rinse my razors and blade with soap and a soft toothbrush and put the blade back in. There's never been a problem with rust or staining.

12. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

I've only had one non-carbon steel blade show any signs of rust leaving it in the razor - and that was in 3 days, so probably a defect with the blade itself.

13. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

Some re-plated vintage DE's may have a problem if the work is 100% good.

14. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

After reading thease posts I did somthing I have never done. I got up and checked me Derby stainless blades and sure enough, rust. NEVER noticed it before. I use my blades until they wont cut hot butter. The current blade has been in about 2 weeks.
    Tonights lesson: Stainless does not mean rust proof.
    coated? maybe, I use derby stainless.
    gonna try a different brand next time and see what happens.
    By the way, I rinse me razor well after use, shake vigorously and hang on the stand to dry, and I shave at least once a day, twice if I go out in the evening. I grow facial hair akin to bigfoots hind end so if I go more than 2 days my razor clogs and takes forever and a fourth pass.

btbill likes this.
  15. JSJS4

JSJS4 Member

For most modern blades it won't be an issue to leave in the razor, because they will either be stainless or coated, but if you use a vintage carbon steel blade you will want to dry it off.

I guess that with some modern blades where they are manufactured my play into it as well.

16. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

I suspect the savings in rust proofing your razor are gone from the electricity you use.

I am a little conspiracy-minded... So I initially thought they put that disclaimer because they wanted your blade to rust. To make you buy them more often.

gorgo2 likes this.
  17. richgem

What appears to be rust might just be hard water deposits.

18. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

No, I know the diff. between hard water and rusy. (I have been merchant marine captain 23 years) my derby stainless blades do most definately rust.
    Not being ugly, just saying. Orange, redish rust.

19. richgem

No worries.

20. Daytonkb

Daytonkb Well-Known Member

I have never had a problem with blades rusting being left in the razor. Each of my razor's in my rotation always have a blade in them. Third time around or when i feel to much tugging i start replacing blades. But! if you have small children around that could get to the razor easily. You should prob remove them and put the blades in a place they cant reach them. That's probably a DUH fact but, hey people look past things like this all the time :p