Let’s shave!

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by NTR, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Hi, and welcome sir!

Trigger likes this.
  2. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD NTR. Enjoy!

Trigger likes this.
  3. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Welcome.

You're off to a great start.

Enjoy!

Trigger likes this.
  4. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Welcome from Alabama...................the Heart of Dixie! Glad you joined us.

5. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Hello and welcome!

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Hey Nelson @NTR! I didn't get in early on the official Welcome Party, but glad you are finding you place here at TSD. Any questions left unanswered so far?

Linuxguile, brit and Trigger like this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Welcome @nrt from here in western NY. I'm a fan of vintage DE, but it's all good what ever you enjoy!

brit likes this.
  8. Fiorellini

Fiorellini Well-Known Member

:signs046:from belgium :)

brit likes this.
  9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Hello

brit likes this.
  10. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome from Nevada.

11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Hi @NTR...welcome to TSD.That's a shame a barber gave you a bad shave.

12. NTR

NTR Well-Known Member

I don’t know, if it was bad, but it wasn’t close, or anything different than what I was doing with a cart at the time.

But I’ve learned just recently that my skin and beard really react better to a cold water shave, so maybe that’s why.

Paul Turner likes this.
  13. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Hello from CT.

14. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

15. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

Welcome from Texas... now that you're addicted to DE shaving, we'll have to introduce you to SE (single edge) shaving with some good ol' GEM, STAR, etc. razors! ;)

NTR likes this.
  16. NTR

NTR Well-Known Member

Bro, I’m READY! But I feel obligated to master my Merkur 34c first. Please disabuse me of that notion!

I recently bought an “aggressive head” from Stirling, which I’m dying to use...but I feel like I should continue with the 34c for awhile, to hone my technique. Although to be honest, I think a more agressive razor would do me better.

cpool222 likes this.
  17. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

Just remember that with an aggressive head, you don't need to put as much pressure on your strokes... let the weight of the razor provide the impetus, and you just guide it. With time, it'll come naturally. Regarding single edge razors, I'd encourage you to start off with one of the older SE razors like a 1912 GEM or STAR... some of the newly manufactured SE razors are ridiculously aggressive in my humble opinion and WAY over-priced.

NTR and 178-bplatoon like this.
  18. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I wholeheartedly agree with this proposition. Noting beats a Lather catcher when it is singing!!!!
    Once I made the jump to SE, it's been hard to go back to DE.
    If you ever have questions myself or fuzzy @wchnu are ready and willing to help.
    Also, if you want to talk more or learn more about SE Razors, feel free to contact me me over to www.theoriginalsafety2.com
    We can get you in the right direction.
    Agressive, mild, harsh, tame...... Doesn't matter one iota.
    Once you get good and proper technique down, you can get a good shave from any razor or blade as long as they are in good working order.
    I used to think that a slant or an adjustable would give me a better shave, then I worked in riding the cap, and using proper technique, and I came to realize the mantra, a blade is a blade and a razor is a razor..
    Welcome aboard we are happy to have you here.
    I'd recommend stopping by the 30 day crew, lots of great folks TONS of knowledge and more than willing to help.

cpool222, NTR and CrustyCat like this.
  19. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD @NTR.

I hope you enjoy it here. :happy088:

20. Killerflyingbugs

Killerflyingbugs Well-Known Member