Let’s talk sandwiches !

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Sara-s, Oct 7, 2020.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

If I'm having just a regular bologna sandwich, I use Miracle Whip. I've always thought it just a family thing because I've never seen or heard of anyone else using Miracle Whip instead of mayonnaise. My mother swore by Miracle Whip, even putting it in macaroni and cheese. lol

Enrico, BamaT and cliffb599 like this.
  2. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Just any brand, or are you particular about that? I’ve got to have Dukes mayo!

Enrico and cliffb599 like this.
  3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

When I was at university, I had a house mate that liked to put peanut butter on a hebrew national hot dog. I haven't done it in years, but add a slice of a bacon and you have a gooey, disgusting treat. Not all that different from a bologna and pb. If it is a bologna sandwich for me, it is Lebanon with spicy mustard on an onion roll.

Enrico, Edison Carter and IAmTheJody like this.
  4. IAmTheJody

Not a sandwich but another weird food thing for me is eating frozen hot dogs. Like a popsicle. I open the pack and empty the hot dogs into a Ziplock bag so that they are all separated and then put them in the freezer to freeze. Grab one when I want. But it can only be one brand: Bryan. I've tried it with many other different brands and it is gross and not the same.

Now back to your regularly scheduled sandwich... lol

5. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

Dukes is my favorite.

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

Enrico and BamaT like this.
  6. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Double down on the Dukes

Enrico and BamaT like this.
  7. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

No problem

I've had people ask me this before. They were from Topeka & Tallahassee.

I got a feeling your right about being more than one T Town.

8. Glondus

Glondus Well-Known Member

we have dozens of street food sandwiches in turkey but when i hear sandwich i remember this place in syracuse / italy.
    he ask if you dont want any item in it, and then create a sandwich for you. as far as i could see he didnt made 2 similar sandwich while i was waiting for 15m in line. i highly recommend it :)

https://g.page/CaseificioBorderi?share

IAmTheJody likes this.
  9. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    When you live in the Boonies, miles away from the nearest Chick-fil-A one learns to improvise and overcome hehehehe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Love my Cast Iron

gorgo2, PanChango, IAmTheJody and 4 others like this.
  10. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

So when’s Lunch. I’m Hungry.

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

All this talk of sandwiches makes me think of topping them (whether bean or bologna) with Vidalia sweet onion.

:drool:

BamaT and cliffb599 like this.
  12. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Love frying in cast iron also! I’ve got a Lodge cast iron Sportsman grill that we really like taking to the lake for a cookout. Chicken looks really good.

13. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Vidalia onion is the only onion I will eat raw. Others are okay grilled, but a slice of raw Vidalia on a burger or hot dog is good!

Enrico, Edison Carter and cliffb599 like this.
  14. IAmTheJody

One thing I could never seem to master was the cast iron skillet. I always set off my smoke alarms and burn whatever I'm trying to cook in it. My cast iron grill on the other hand gets a good workout. I lay it across my propane turkey fryer/crawfish burner outside and grill fantastic steaks and veggies on it. It's obviously easier to clean outdoors too, with a wire brush. Once it is clean, a good smear of olive oil all over it and then a low flame bake in and it's ready to go for the next grilling adventure.

15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I'm just learning to cook with a cast iron skillet & a bacon press. I love grilling sandwiches on it & using the press on top. With my gear, the best way to make it work is to pre-heat the griddle on low & the press on medium, as it is thinner than the griddle.

cliffb599 and IAmTheJody like this.
  16. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

If you havent tried it, bake some bread in a dutch oven. It really makes a nice loaf.

BamaT and richgem like this.
  17. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Ditto. But make sure you have pot holders with silicone grips. Regular pot holders are not the best when it comes to 425 deg dutch ovens.

cliffb599 and PanChango like this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

ooooooh!

19. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I have added a new sandwich spread to my repertoire. It’s very simple. Just a mix of equal parts sour cream & spreadable cheddar, with a dash of black pepper.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    cliffb599 likes this.
  20. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Today’s sandwich was lettuce, maple ham & Muenster on multi-grain bread, with rosemary aioli. Yum.

BamaT, cliffb599 and IAmTheJody like this.