Let's talk about slant

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Norseman, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

Good evening

What is your experience with a slant bar razor?
    Do you have a favourite or are there a particular slant bar that is considered to be better than others?

I am considering buying one, and would like to know more
    So please discuss :)

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I've tried three: the Merkur 37 and Merkur 39 (identical heads; different sized handles); and the Ikon slant.
    All shaved wonderfully close with ease. A light touch is all I found to pull near-BBS shaves in as little as two passes.
    My own personal preference was the Merkur head shape over the Ikon. Of the two merkurs, I prefer the larger-handled 39c ('Sledgehammer').
    The Merkur cost about 1/2 the ikon, which is a very nicely-built razor in stainless.

3. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I have the Merkur 37c and honestly it's perfect for me.

I have maybe medium thick facial hair but the hairs are coarse and this razor works amazingly hahaha. I can have 7 days of growth... Bring out the Merkur and PFFST! Like smoke haha.

It is very efficient, I used it exclusively for a few months. But I'm using my WEBER razor at the moment, just to change things up a little bit. I get very nice, close and irritation free shaves. I tried a feather in it though, no good hahaha

I definitely recommend that everyone tries a slant some day

[​IMG]

@macaronus in the Netherlands is selling his slant. Close so shipping wont be crazy. Just a tip haha!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2015
  4. Norseman

I have the old Bakelite slant, and I am rather fond of it. But since it is not available anymore and not made of the sturdiest material, I have found myself hesitant to use it.

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I had one, but I traded it for a red tip. I am not sure if I will replace it or not. It was a Merkur 37c.

Norseman likes this.
  6. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I too have both the Sledgehammer and the Ikon 102. I like them both and break them out especially when I have several days growth.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

"A solution for a problem that doesn't exist." In my opinion, a gimmick. Employ the Gillette slide with any razor and it's the same thing.

That said, I did have one and found it too agressive for my taste. It was early in my DE days and I'll blame it on my undeveloped technique before I blame the razor. It is an efficient razor.

8. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

It's my understanding that a slant razor seeks to do mechanically what you can do thru technique. Typically a normal razor is drawn across the face with the blade perpendicular to the line of travel. The slant head changes the angle of attack from perpendicular to some angle to improve the cutting of the blade by making I less shearing and more slicing like a guillotine. I have heard that shaving with the head held twisted I your hand does the same thing as does "J-hooking" or pivoting the blade on one corner as you draw it.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I get great results using these modified techniques on some areas and perpendicular shaving others.

9. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I've used the 37c, 39c and first gen iKon and I much prefer the 39c 'vorschlaghammer'. The weight and length of the handle works better for me.
    I can get great shaves from any razor, but I found slants are very smooth and efficient if my technique is right. It is easier for me to let the razor maintain the angle than for me to use the Gillette slide. Ymmv

Norseman, spacehobo and Omelmad like this.
  10. Omelmad

Hmm.. I have actually never experienced that. Have you tried rubbing your fingers on alum

Tdmsu likes this.
  11. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

THIS should do the job for you. If you don't like it, you should be able to peel it off. Note that I said "Should".

juicy flawless likes this.
  12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup. The Gillette Slide I mentioned.

EnglishChannel and Omelmad like this.
  13. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I have the Ikon 102 and love it. Unlike the 39c that twists the blade, the 102 has a head that it's tilted, but does not twist the blade. I've used the various techniques such as shaving at an angle, but I very much like the way the slant shaves.

Omelmad and Norseman like this.
  14. Norseman

Does anybody have any experiences with that RazoRock slant that everyone was talking about a year or so ago?

I will probably go for a Merkur. They are more readily available and not as costly as the stainless steel alternatives.

bdalemauger and spacehobo like this.
  15. Omelmad

I think it will help =)

16. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I have the 39c. I've enjoyed having and using mine. gives a nice close shave and feels great in the hand.
    have not tried any of the others.

Norseman likes this.
  17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I owned a Hoffritz slant. Beautiful razor. Felt kind of like a lawnmower on the lowest setting...the one that rips out grass and leaves round marks in the dirt. To say it was an aggressive razor is an understatement and a disservice to aggressive razors everywhere.
    [​IMG]
    I've had absolutely no desire to ever try slants again.
    Edit: I'd make an exception for the solid brass three piece Abercrombie & Fitch slant OC. The one that looks like a Gillette old type. I had a $300 snipe on one a few years back...still lost. :( It's the most I've ever bid on any razor. I think I've seen two in my time as a wetshaver. The A&F Merkur style slants are pretty common though, and look just like the Hoffritz slants (also made by Merkur).

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    Norseman likes this.
  18. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    From what I've read, the modern Merkur slants are not as aggressive as the vintage Merkur slants.

spacehobo and Norseman like this.
  19. Norseman

Just as well, I suppose. I can start with a Merkur and work my way up to something more aggresive later on. Perhaps a straight razor :)

spacehobo likes this.
  20. Omelmad

Or an Adjustable open comb slant bar razor ...

Norseman likes this.