Let's Talk Arkansas Stones

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Yeah..No Problem..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

2. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Jim, I can tell yo it refines the edge coming off 1 micron lapping film. The Arkie feels like glass; now can you imagine that with oil on it? My edges are sharp as hell, but the only way I can explain it; it takes that sharp edge and makes the shave "creamy". You really have to experience it for yourself. Hint, hint:)

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I'm interested in reading your experience with the SIC powders. I know there are a number of 'rock hounds' out there who use the SIC regularly to even out or lap hard JNats, Arkies and other stubbornly-hard stones.

4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

If I can't find a piece of glass that I can use, I might have to use a piece of granite tile. Hopefully that won't be too soft to lap on.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  5. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    A Commie Hard Steel Plate from Russia..:happy097:

6. Bjoerge Brathagen

Bjoerge Brathagen Well-Known Member

That is a picture of the stock of razor steel at the stiz factory:happy097:

Karl G, Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  7. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

You can use any flat surface using loose grit. The grit rolls between the stone snd substrate chipping away. You can use a cookie tray even.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    The Arkie Buster..:happy102:

DaltonGang, SRNewb, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  9. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

You CANNOT use that tray. It is too pretty.

mrchick, DaltonGang, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  10. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    :happy097:

11. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    Got a Wee Warning Cut Honing with My Surgical Black in My Hand..Got Caught by a Square Point..I Was Doing Some Big Sweeping Circles & the Claret was Everywhere..It was One of those...Awe..Naw..Jobs..:happy097:

12. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

[​IMG]

Hot off the Arkie. This razor is a problem child. I want this razor to shave so much better than it has. It was my Great Uncles.

This is my second attempt with the Translucent with this razor. I went back to my 3k and progressed thru 12k (Naniwas). I then went straight to the Arkie.

This time I used an extra drop of oil. I omitted all Circular strokes this time. I only used X strokes.

See how it shaves tonight.

Primotenore, mrchick, Spyder and 3 others like this.
  13. DaltonGang

I touched up a couple of my already sharp razors, a few minutes ago. They both seem to have taken an even sharper edge. After the stropping, they were a couple of serious hair poppers. The shave will tell. The photo is deceiving, because the stone is as black as night..

Top- G.M.Mayer
    Bottom- Dubl Duck Dwarf

P3180736.JPG

Last edited: May 20, 2017
    mrchick, Spyder, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  14. DaltonGang

The shave with the Dubl Duck was a success. The Black Arkie put a finer edge on this blade. it was much sharper feeling, directly off the hone, but still popped hairs as it did before.
    I will say, that after the touch-up with the Surgical Black Arkie, the shave is still as sharp as before, if not a tad more so, just much smoother.
    I will say, this little Arkie is a keeper, and it will be included in honing of all my razor. Those that are already sharp, will be touched up with this stone. At least 50 laps on the Arkie should do nicely.

15. Billyfergie

Scott..50 Sets with an Arkie isn't Worth Spit..Its Not Touching Up a Sharp Edge..Its Totally Changing it & You Need Hundreds of Laps My Friend..50 Laps isn't Even a Snorter..Trust Me..:D

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    Drygulch, DaltonGang, Spyder and 4 others like this.
  16. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

That's what I've been reading about these stones. I read a post on another forum where a guy says he did 2,000 laps!

Man! His arms must have been tired!

:happy036:

Spyder and Karl G like this.
  17. Billyfergie

To Be Honest I Don't Count..Just Make Sure the Sets are Even is All..You Can Use a Lot Creative Strokes with these Stones Cause they are So Slippery & Free..It Takes Me about 20 Min to Finish an SR to where I Am Confident that I have Gleaned the Best from It..;)

By Reading a Lot of Posts on these Stones..I Have Gleaned this..Its an Arkie Stone..You Need an Arkie Head when Using it..Why You are Using it..And Most of All..Forget..Any Comparison to Any Other Stone..Its Doesn't Cut or Work like Most Stones..:D

Ya Gotta Think Arkie..:kar:

18. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I too just sit and hone away. hundreds of nice steady strokes.

SevenEighth, Karl G, Spyder and 3 others like this.
  19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I'm back-logged enough with razors waiting for honing that I'd find the idea of doing hundreds of strokes on just a finisher(!) completely impractical. I understand Arkies are slow and do provide superb edges but the impracticality of the time required to achieve these results works contrary to actually completing work within a desired time frame. Plus my arm hurts just thinking of finishing 20+razors with 200 strokes each! :p

ninjack, Karl G, Spyder and 4 others like this.
  20. Billyfergie

Aye..Kevin..I Had a Few SRs to Hone for Folks a Few Days Ago & I Sure Wasn't Giving them the Arkie Treatment..Hell..Naw..I Did Do the Good Samaritan with a Sheffield SR on the Arkie Mind So Good Deed Done for the Year..:happy097:

ninjack, Spyder, HolyRollah and 3 others like this.