Long Handled brushes.....why not?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Stubble, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Stubble

Stubble Member

I just need some comment here, on the length of shaving brush handles. I like and am looking for a shaving brush with a longer handle.

I think/feel that most brushes have too short of a handle, then you get lather all over the handle, it gets slippery etc, etc. I've read on several forum, that some folks have Simpson Chubby's, and while they are a very good brush, they complain that they get more lather on their hands, than they do on their face. Basically because the handle of the brush is too short.

Shavemac has some brushes that are specified as "long handle brushes" and they look very interesting. Any one have one of these? Or do you know of other good quality brushes with longer handles. By longer handles, I mean a brush with at least a 65-70mm handle length.

Let me know how you feel on this...................;)

2. Smedley

Smedley New Member

I prefer a longer handle as well. Gets more torque with less effort in the lather whipping stage,

I don't know about quality, but I got the eShave discontinued pure badger brush. It's a pure badger brush, so skritchy, but gets the job done and has a handle about the length of a teaspoon handle. My favourite brush for soaps.

3. xChris

xChris Member

I have one of the Shavemac 436 brushes. It is a very large brush both in height and knot diameter (28mm). It is also quite heavy compared to other brushes -- you will feel the difference in weight.

Mine is also knotted with the pre-July 2005 badger hair that Shavemac used beofre changing based on customer feedback. Because of the hair type, knot density, knot diameter, & hair loft it is quite a firm feeling brush while exhibiting soft tips.

4. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

5. Will

Will Nevermind

The grip is great on my SR and it is a longer one.

6. Stubble

Stubble Member

Brian, how do you like the 21mm knot on the Muehle? And how firm are the bristles. What is the overall length of the brush?
    I went to the site and couldn't seem to find this info.

7. PottyDoctor

PottyDoctor Jeff Foxworthy of Shaving

I thought the long handle on the eShave brushes looked like something I might like, especially with silvertip badger hair. However, $140 is a bit more than I can afford.

The Muhle seems to be a pretty good value and a nice looking brush as well.

8. Smedley

Smedley New Member

Yeah. I was being cheap with my eShave choice.

I've been eyeing Shavemacs recently. Lot of nice reports about them, and their handle length seems decent.

9. madmedic

Will measure the brush when I get home later. The bristle is very comfortable and quite dense. I have only ever used it with creams....and it is an excellent performer. I was lucky when I bought that one. It was an end of line. The handle I have is a grey marble colour. I bought it at half the recommended price

10. PottyDoctor

This was my first badger brush and I still have it in my regular rotation today. http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/800550/422182.htm

It is a Vulfix 2235 which has a 60mm handle, which is much longer than my ShaveMac or C&E Best. I really like this handle length and I actually like the Super Badger bristles. To some it might seem a bit moppy, but I love the feel of it on my face. I do prefer soft brushes. The Vulfix actually feels softer than the ShaveMac Silvertip.

I have actually considered buying another Vulfix, possibly the 377, which also has a 60mm handle and a slightly larger knot at 26mm. A good value at $89.

Just my 2 cents worth, FWIW, YMMV!

11. madmedic

Approximate sizes>

Handle........ 80mm
    Overall height....... 130mm

12. LX_Emergency

LX_Emergency Member

You can also try the blankity blanks brushes. I've got one of their brushheads for which I carved my own handle out of stone and the brush is excellent....offcourse I don't have anything else to compare them to.

But they make quite large brush handles if you check their website.

13. Smedley

Smedley New Member

Those are some purty brush handles they got there. Must control BAD...:sad038

14. Stubble

Stubble Member

Brian, thanks for the measurements, I appreciate your efforts.

Ron, the shape of the handle on that 2235 has always looked very comfortable to me. I have a little carpel tunnel, so handle shape is very important to me. How comfortable is that handle. Also if you don't mind, are the Vulfix as "floppy" as everyone says they are? I know the Kents are said to be 'floppy', but there are a lot of folks that really love'em.

15. PottyDoctor

As for the Vulfix 2235 handle, the shape is very user friendly IMHO. It allows for a very good grip between the thumb and fingers. This is especially important to me, as I hate trying to hold onto a slippery brush when there's nothing there to keep the brush from sliding right through your fingers. This brush has a handle shape I enjoy...it definitely improves your 'grip'. And being a large handle, ofcourse it weighs slightly more, but it makes it feel like a 'real' brush, a 'manly man' brush.

Is the brush 'Floppy'? Well I don't own a 'Flop Meter', so I can't give you any hard fast numbers. :D The brush I compare it with most often is my ShaveMac 22579, which is a 23mm silvertip. The Vulfix 2235 is a 23mm super badger. Between the two, the Vulfix feels slightly softer on the face. I know it's not supposed to be softer since it's super instead of silvertip, but it is. Part of the reason, I suppose, is that the ShaveMac is a much more densely packed brush causing the bristle shafts to 'flex' less when pushed against the face. The tips of both brushes feel very close to the same as far as softness is concerned. However, the Vulfix bristles will 'flex' slightly more than a densely packed brush [e.g. ShaveMac], therefore producing a softer feel to the face, which some might call 'floppy'. 'Floppy' and 'moppy' being terms that could produce enough discussion to support their own shaving forum.:rofl

In summary, I enjoy both my ShaveMac and my Vulfix and I cannot say that one is better than the other, for they both have qualities which I like and enjoy. No single brush can satisfy most wetshavers because we are a species that thrives on variety. It's all about what I feel like on any given day...mood...the mood I'm in or want to be in. I personally do not feel the Vulfix is 'floppy', but keep in mind that my preference is for a brush with a 'soft feel'. If you like 'scrubby or scritchy' feeling brushes, then the Vulfix is not your brush...keep looking. If you want a luxurious, soft to the touch, pampered feeling brush, then the Vulfix will fit nicely in your rotation....and at a good value I might add. ;)

16. PottyDoctor

17. Amyn

Amyn Guest

Long handle brushes are quite to my liking My SR3226 and SMFIII are by far my favorite brushes

18. Dustbow

Dustbow New Member

I was just going to say, check out the Savile Row 3226/3228 from Charles at QED

19. Depilator

Depilator New Member

ShaveMyFace III[Rooney] brush available at Executive Shaving has 60+mm handle and medium firm,but soft blooming head. It's great for creams-holds a lot of water and heat. Also Pete [Northwoods Woodcrafter] and Matt [Superior Brushes] can make something to your specs and both are fine quality, particularly in silvertip which I have.

Regards,
    Perry

20. Stauff

Stauff Inspeicktor

Some guys detest it, but I think the world of the handle on a Simpson Polo. Quite long and en excellent grip for whipping up the lather. Loft is a bit shorter, something of a chubby head on a longer handle, just a tad more 'flop' to it. Excellent all-round cream and soap brush!