Looking at purchasing a Subaru ... any thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Enrico, Apr 21, 2018.

1. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Road trip!!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Enrico likes this.
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Not really road trip, but going 45 miles to my parents for my Moms birthday Sunday. :)

jmudrick likes this.
  3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Gotta start somewhere :) . Congratulations.

4. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I love Toyotas. I've had normal maintenance items on every Toyota I've owned except I once replaced the 5th gear on a Corolla.

'85 Corolla LE (purchased new) - gave it away after I drove it 325K miles. Still ran great after 15 years. We just got tired of driving it, and it was plain Jane.
    '97 Camry XLE (purchased used with 30K miles) - gave it to my niece after I drove it 200K. She drove it for several more years.
    '99 Avalon XLE (purchased used with 30K) - gave it to my niece after the Camry went to the Moon and back. She drove it for several more years until a deer finished it off.
    '10 Camry XLE (purchased used with 30K)- 134K, and it's my everyday car.
    '13 Avalon XLE (purchased new) - 21K. It's my Bride's car and our vacation car. It will eventually become my everyday car when the Camry hits 300K.

Enrico likes this.
  5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Enrico likes this.
  6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Foresters in their early days were the farmers choice in uk. Reliable and capable. Later ones carry that on from what I hear. Mpg is a bit steep but there’s also a very quick one. Huge fun. I’d say why not

7. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

I drive an old Jaguar so what do I know, BUT my co-worker is a elite electrical engineer that researches everything to the nth degree and he bought a Subaru Forester a few years back - guessing 2013 or 2014 - and he's been very happy with it. He's from PA and the make probably comes naturally to the forefront for him when considering vehicle purchases. From that I'd say that they are probably a good choice.

8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

And you have money left over for razors and stuff?

GatorJoe likes this.
  9. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Wow! I just had the scary image of a Lucas-made razor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GatorJoe likes this.
  10. GatorJoe

Lol, a dig at the Jag reputation for reliability. Actually the car has been as reliable as I hoped. And, shave gear isn't that expensive if you don't get too redundant.

11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

What year is the Jaguar?

12. GatorJoe

1995 XJ6

Older pic, the car’s too dirty to photograph today.

Attached Files:

13. DaltonGang

My wife had a 2000 Jaguar S Type, bought when 2 years old. It spent most of the time in the shop, under warranty. 1 1/2 years later, we sold it. She vowed never to buy another. Since then, she has owned a Honda, Toyota, and Nissan. All those have been extremely reliable. The Toyota Camry was totalled when a kid pulled in front of her. It had around 100,000 miles, and no issues. The Honda Odyssey was sold at around 200,000 miles, no problems. The 2014 Nisan Altima has been flawless.
    I've heard nothing but great things about Subaru cars.

wristwatchb likes this.
  14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Nice car. Ford but still mostly Jaggy.

GatorJoe likes this.
  15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I would die of boredom were I forced to own a car based strictly on reliability. I guess I'd buy one for my wife or respect her choice of one if I had another one of those. Definitely not getting married again if it means driving a minivan. Outbacks be cool.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I pulled the Outback next to our Tribeca B9 and was surprised that the Tribeca was that much bigger. My wife gets the Tribeca B9 and I get the Outback; she's not complaining nor am I.

jmudrick likes this.
  17. DaltonGang

My wife agreed on never owning another Jaguar. I like the way some of them look, and drive, but being in the shop, all the time, soured us on them. It is like when I owned a 1986 Corvette. It was fun to drive, and play with, when it wasn't in the shop. As far as mini vans go, I put my foot down, on getting another mini van. I disliked it, a lot, except for long trips.

jmudrick likes this.
  18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I figure the money I've paid to Italian and German car mechanics over the years has helped a bunch of good kids through college. The current Mercedes has however been trouble free.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    GatorJoe and Enrico like this.