Looking for dark or black razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by whiteboy_cannon, Jan 29, 2016.

1. whiteboy_cannon

whiteboy_cannon Well-Known Member

So I really love the look of a dark finished razor. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Robyflexx likes this.
  2. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Fatip has gunmetal offerings. They're pretty, but I can't recommend one in good faith.

Robyflexx likes this.
  3. whiteboy_cannon

And why is that?

4. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Well, anything can be painted. Some folks are doing black chrome. There is duracoat and cheracoat. Lots of opportunities.

5. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Gillette "contract" 3 piece razors. Made under contract for the military during WW II. Came with either a black metal or bakelite handle and a silver or black head.

Robyflexx and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  6. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Working on a review...ive had it for a few weeks now.

Robyflexx likes this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

I like the look of Delta Echo razors. I don't know how well they age, just like the looks.

Robyflexx likes this.
  8. whiteboy_cannon

Those are gorgeous! Bookmarked!

Robyflexx and RyX like this.
  9. Skinny Rogers

Skinny Rogers Well-Known Member

Jay at Delta Echo does incredible work. I highly recommend.

Robyflexx and RyX like this.
  10. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

11. 211bma

211bma Active Member

I have a Standard In Black, not a bad shaver at all. I got it from Bespoke Post for $45 with New York Shaving Company's shaving cream, and a Gentleman Jon alum block! Not sure if this box is currently being offered but they have brought it back a few times.

whiteboy_cannon likes this.
  12. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

How about a Gillette black beauty

Herm2502 likes this.
  13. Leo Davis

Leo Davis New Member

Personally, I love my gunmetal Fatip, all though I hear the quality control can be quite poor on the razors. Especially when it comes to blade alignment. Luckily, I never have to fiddle with the blade in mine, it's perfect every time. I've been very impressed with the quality for the price. My Merkur 23C is just sitting in dust now because I see little reason to use it, unless I want a milder shave. The best part about the Fatip is that it's all brass. I love it so much that I may pick up the closed comb Testina Gentile.

As someone who is relatively new to wet shaving, though, I will say it took me about three months to get my technique down. I've gotten lots of nicks and cuts with the thing because it isn't the most forgiving razor. But that comes down to user error. Aggressive razors aren't for everyone.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    Robyflexx likes this.
  14. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

Well - there's the Blackland Blackbird of course (you should be able to tell the color by the name ;) )

Cheaper options: The BBNY Satin Black (looks like a Mühle R89 clone), the Weishi 9306 black, both available at Amazon

Partially black: The Merkur 30c, Edwin Jagger/Mühle with black handle, Parker 96 - or vintage: Gillette Super Speed Black Handle, Schick Krona

iKon offers black heads, you'd have to find a black handle for them

And then there's the soon-to-be-available AlumiGoose, but that's not a DE razor.

I'm sure I forgot quite a few others here

15. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    In addition to the aforementioned Blackland Blackbird razor, Italian Barber has the Black Mamba and RazoRock Stealth Slant (both of which are out of stock).

I suppose I should also mention the Holy Black's SR-71, though their patently obvious attempt to ride the Blackland Blackbird's coattails to success leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I also don't consider the Holy Black's razor to be quality, as it's an overpriced black painted Indian razor design with a mediocre reputation.

Here is a picture of the stainless black oxide Blackland Blackbird.
    [​IMG]

Troy M, Robyflexx and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  16. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

I just remembered ... the spanish Ssseygus razor

[​IMG]

17. whiteboy_cannon

Thick a blackland is a bit out of my price range at the moment. Maybe I can find a used one at a good price

PLANofMAN likes this.
  18. whiteboy_cannon

Now that's clean

Robyflexx likes this.
  19. whiteboy_cannon

I actually already have a gunmetal weishi, I like it a lot. I was looking at the BBNY, but it seems the coating doesn't last very long

20. whiteboy_cannon

Just ordered a holy black sr71. Seems they definitely got the name idea from blackland, but looks like a great razor nonetheless. Thanks for bringing it up