Looking to add a new, aggressive DE to the den

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Allen_B, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

All Fatips are the same as one another.

All r41 are identical to one another.

The two models are not identical to one another, but rather I was stating that that only options are, in fact, the handle pairings offered by each manufacturer.

PickledNorthern, Norcalnewb and MR41 like this.
  2. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Got it:)

Bama Samurai likes this.
  3. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call the Fatip particularly aggressive, as such, as unpredictable, or perhaps unreliable. I got decent shaves out of mine, but you had to be REALLY careful about installing the blade and tightening, and if you loosened it for cleaning, repeat the previous.

MR41 likes this.
  4. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Let me quantify my statement. I do not perceive the blade gap of the Joris to fall into the realm of what I would visually identify as aggressive. On the Sally's razor, the blade gap is wider than on any razor I own apart from the wide open Q-Shave. Both can deliver great shaves when applied to your face with an angle suitable for hair removal without unnecessary irritation.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Bama Samurai likes this.
  5. Bama Samurai

Ming Shi or Lord L6?

6. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

That lines up with what I’ve read. I’ve got an R 41(2013) and I have a very high opinion of it.

7. SharptoothC

The Sally's razor? It has no markings so I am not certain.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  8. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Looks like they have two.

One is the 'Derby International Double Edge Safety Razor', which looks like a Nanji.

The other is the Jatai Feather Double Edge Blade Razor, which comes in stainless and black.

SharptoothC likes this.
  9. Allen_B

Allen_B Member

Greatly appreciate the useful input- I can see a 41 Twist in the wish list for SWMBO and a test drive of the Schick Injectors as part of a new endeavor.

Have to laugh at some that feel the need to bark at the leaves and seemingly run around pissing on bushes; there's always a few but makes life interesting...

V/r

Allen

jeraldgordon, LOOT and Bama Samurai like this.
  10. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

iKon Tech

Redfisher and Allen_B like this.
  11. Allen_B

Allen_B Member

That looks very clean and nice!

How is the feedback? By that, I actually really like a "loud" razor (most call it chatter) and one that you can feel the blade as you're shaving...

Allen

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    LOOT and Redfisher like this.
  12. SharptoothC

I was just looking at that. I am thinking it may be the Derby. The packaging is looooong gone. But that looks like the razor, and that packaging seems familiar.

13. Allen_B

Allen_B Member

Posted in the Marketplace, but if there is anyone that is displeased with their iKon Tech (preferably with the OSS handle) please let me know.

A few searches have indicated it is definitely not for most shavers, but may be exactly what I'm looking for... Not a lot to trade other than a couple of vintage Gillettes and an immaculate Slim but perhaps someone is looking for a milder option...

/r

Allen

Keithmax likes this.
  14. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I am straight shaver and got there via aggressive DEs. I have tried or owned most of the DE razors that have reputations as aggressive. These I are my personal rankings from my experience:

Most aggressive: Ikon Tech and 2011 R41. My favorite DE is the 2011 R41, find to much ‘chatter’ or flex with the Ikon Tech.

Very aggressive in no particular order: Joris/Fatip, Futur, ATT H plates, Rocnel adjustable and Cobra Classic.

Have you thought about a shavette for travel?

MR41 likes this.
  15. Allen_B

Allen_B Member

Yes, but haven't found anything I am comfortable with. I tend to go for heavier straights (6/8 or 7/8 plus) and could never seem to get a proper feel for any of the shavettes I've tried. For reference, only really gave Dovo and Feather shavettes a try... Good shave but always felt like I was playing with a toy.

Oddly, that is why I am most curious about the iKon Tech at this point...

/r

Allen

Keithmax likes this.
  16. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I don't don't know about the "noise " but it is a very efficient shaver. Maybe compares to the Gillette old type. You can feel the blade on this one.

17. Keithmax

I also prefer big straights with heavy grinds. I find the Ikon Tech head very light and the chatter reminds me of blade flex in a large hollow grind. If you want aggressive and heavy then ATT H plates or Rocnel adjustable. The Rocnel goes to 11, i.e. you can keep opening it wider beyond the last number and you will start to get some chatter too.

Norcalnewb likes this.
  18. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Just for viewing enjoyment and to give those a clearer view and outlook, take a look at this video link.
    I’ve tried the R41 ‘11 & ‘13 versions and the Tech and they are great, great razors. BUT, don’t discount this
    Razor right here. A true beard slayer. The PAA DOC EVO SS..... It’s my favorite of the aggressive razors.

Keithmax likes this.
  19. Keithmax

Oops, I forgot to mention the DOC Evolution. I agree it's an outstanding aggressive razor.

Norcalnewb and Str8on2 like this.
  20. Bama Samurai

The DOC is quite mild, gap is only 0.49mm and the curve is pretty flat. It is well designed and efficient at the proper attack angle, but it's in the lower end of the scale. OC has no effect on aggressiveness, it merely leaves more soap and accommodates longer growth.

LOOT and jimjo1031 like this.