Looking to buy a cheap badger brush.

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by ShaveAddict, Nov 5, 2009.

1. ShaveAddict

ShaveAddict Member

Since i started shaving whit DE razors i use a Omega boar brush,
    it work kind of good but i would like to feel a badger on my face, but not at any price.
    I saw a Tweezerman on Amazon, is that good?
    I would like your comment on it, specially those who use it.
    Thanks.

2. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Having tried a few different boar brushes and a fairly cheap C&E Best Badger, I'd recommend against cheap badger. IMHO a good boar like an Omega 31XXX series, Vulfix, or Semogue (haven't tried one but going on reputation) will outperform a cheap badger for most guys. Of course it depends on what difference from your current Omega you're after. If you want a scratchy pure bager feel you might actually want cheap badger.

Let us know what Omega model you have and what you want different and someone here will give better help.

3. Tango Yankee

Tango Yankee Member

I have that Tweezerman brush from Amazon and I like it.

I do have limited experience with brushes. My first brush was a VDH boar from Wally World. I bought a like-new vintage badger brush and found it was a bit "floppy" to my taste once it was wet. Perhaps the bristles are too long. But I decided to try the Tweezerman when I came across it on Amazon.

I found that it makes a very nice lather (with shaving cream) very quickly. The first shaving cream I bought was C.O. Bigelow and it lathered up nicely using that brush. The second is a Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood cream, and it lathers up even better.

I decided that it would make a great intro to wet shaving brush. As of this moment I've purchased and given away four of them. I couldn't do that with an expensive brush!

I do have an Omega Silvertip brush (also bought through Amazon) that I'm giving to my wife next week for her birthday. I figure I'll have a chance to compare the two then.

I say buy it. It's inexpensive enough to take the chance, and I think that chances are you'll like it!

Cheers,
    Tom

4. Manos

Manos Member

I have both an Omega boar brush and the Tweezerman brush. The Omega has firmer bristles and softer ends. The Tweezerman has more flexible bristles with scratchy ends. Both make a fine lather. Both have wooden handles, but the Omega is nicely weighted, while the Tweezerman is lighter in weight, but still attractive. The price of the Tweezerman makes it hard to recommend against buying it. Give it a try!

5. Dewaine

Dewaine Well-Known Member

I own these two:
    This Omega badger - 6192 and this Omega boar.

I like them both very much, but I use the badger with creams, generally, and the boar with soaps. I use the the boar about 90% of the time, as I mostly use soaps.

I would buy another 6192 when the one I have wears out. I can't see paying more when this one is great for my use. And they are available at Amazon for about $26.