Looking

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Robert1955, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

Looking to buy a SR...nooo experience at all with them, but doing ok with a few shavettes like dovo and parker srx, I would like to ease myself into a SR.
    Cost will be the main thing because I dont want to spend a lot only to find out it is not for me :(
    What price should I be looking at for a shave ready razor ?, most likely secondhand and fit for purpose...I have sharpened many knives over the years and I am quite competant at getting/restoring a edge...but I think this is a different level....

Robert.

2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I recommend looking at the for sale posts here, as well as Larry at whipped dog. I haven't purchased one at Whipped Dog, but others have said they come fully shave ready. You can pick a vintage up for less than $60 from Larry.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

3. RyX

RyX DoH!

I did, and it was indeed Shave Ready. I went with his Sight Unseen option. That means he'll send you a razor of unspecified manufacturer that will be mechanically sound, with working scales, and it'll be ready to use. It may have cosmetic blemishes like scratched scales or surface stains on the steel. You can have an E-mail conversation with Larry and let him know you are looking for your first straight. Generally recommended type is a 5/8 round tip.

brit, Edison Carter, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  4. Robert1955

Done it...Thanks.

Robert.

Edison Carter, Frijolero, RyX and 2 others like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Post a photo when you get it in hand. Curious to see what's coming out of Larry's shop these days.

Frijolero and Robert1955 like this.
  6. Robert1955

If I get one I defo will...

Thanks, Robert.

Edison Carter, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

Ahh, I misunderstood. Thought you had already placed your order!
    Couple photos to illustrate? First is one I purchased from Larry. It's got a bit of hone wear showing the signs of a well loved tool.
    Brandt from WD.gif
    Second is one PIFed to me by Perry @PLAla. Good steel and nice scales.
    Gold Bug WD PIF from PLAla.gif
    They both show some surface discoloration, but good steel at the working edges.

brit, Edison Carter, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

If it were me, look on ebay, find a really nice looking Vintage razor, with little wear. When you get it, send it out, to have it honed properly. That way you have a nice looking, and nice shaving razor, from the start. Or, get a couple of prehoned razors from Larry, at Whipped Dog, and start shaving. You can use these WD razors to practice you skills. It will take some practice.

9. DaltonGang

Oh, almost forgot. Before you do anything, you absolutely need a good strop. Illinois 127 or 827 are good, at at reasonable price.

10. lightcs1776

Just a little warning with eBay. Watch for cracks in the blade or excessive chips. A benefit of getting one from Whipped Dog is that you are assured to get one that is shave ready.

11. DaltonGang

Yes, but ebay has a guarantee. I just received a cracked blade, the other day, so small, it could hardly be seen. The seller refunded, immediately. If they dont, ebay will do it for you.

12. lightcs1776

Out of curiosity, does that include those who state that refunds aren't accepted? I have steered clear of those for that reason.

13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    It does IF the product does not match the description. So, unless the seller discloses a chip or crack and you discover one, a refund must be granted.

Edison Carter, Frijolero, RyX and 3 others like this.
  14. DaltonGang

Yep, just read the description carefully.

15. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

This is great info. I've been wondering about a SR, but the cost to "investigate" has been blocking me. You guys are awesome!

Herm

16. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I also started with a Whipped dog Straight Razor. I would also check the BST threads on the different shaving forums.

17. RyX

RyX DoH!

:signs011:
    It's called Peer Review. When a member of a forum lists an item for sale, he's putting his reputation on the line. Just like the bay, you can do some research about the seller and it may ease your mind when making a purchase.

There's a good chance you may buy the same or a similar item for a better price from a forum member. There's no bidding so the seller will list the item for what he wants to get from it. Some members allow gear to go for less than Ebay prices because it's staying in the community.

The flip side is Ebay sellers that are just cashing in on items they know nothing about. Other bidders may know so the final price has a chance of hitting "real" value or higher when The Fever kicks in.

18. Robert1955

Larry stopped "unseen" sales about a year ago :(
    I am having second thoughts anyway, tonight I had a great shave with my shavette and think I should stick with the shavettes for a while yet, I have two and I seem to get on well with them now...I quite fancy a Feather artist ss... and I really like the throw away blades...no stropping etc, I have sharpened knives and stropped them to scary sharp...so it is not the thought of making any errors, just laziness tbh, my knife strops are handmade by me but really simple and cheap to make, I would not get away with one of mine to strop a razor.,defo unhygienic to start with :)

Robert.

Edison Carter, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  19. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Just a hint for when you get the itch again @Robert1955

There is a guy here :D that has a crapload of razors around most of the time, but rarely gets the time to list them for sale, heard he is a damn fine looking fellow too hehehe
    Fire me a pm and ask what I might have laying around or fire me a link to an Ebay razor I have no problem looking it over for you to give you an opinion

20. seaswood

seaswood Member

I would really suggest you look on ebay or etsy I really have not got a unusable blade.
    I only bought dubl duck as it was steel I trusted.
    That is what you need to decide what steel works for you.
    If you are always sending blades out to be honed that will add to $ spent.
    But if you are good with tools? Honing is all part of the steel blade.

Robert1955 and Edison Carter like this.