Looks Like a 3-Piece Prototype to me

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bill, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

I love going through old patents. This one is from 1905. There was a rash of patents for safety razors in 1901 and in 1905. Although a new era of shaving technology was appearing on the scene, you can still see a straight razor influence in many of the contraptions they came up with on a regular basis. Not this particular one, but many others.

I also noticed that patents almost always took about a year to be accepted even way back then. It must have also been a government run system... :rofl

Anyway, here is what looks like to me to be one of the first examples of a 3-piece razor that became really popular in the 40's. They certainly have come a long way, hey!

Attached Files:

2. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I'd have a shave with that one :D

3. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Very interesting Bill. Looks like it could be a bit cumbersome to use. :D

4. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

that looks surprisingly similar to the style of razor I use. It is amazing that not much changed. I don't know which razor was the first to come up with two curved pieces of steel that sandwich a blade.

After the initial SANDWICH invention it was all about new ways to align the blade.

5. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

Looks like they got inspiration from a paddle stop.
    [​IMG]
    Or did the strop get its inspiration from the razor

6. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

That one looks actually pretty useable just from the picture. I could see giving that a shot for fun.