Looks like Gillette is getting back in the DE GAME

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jgreenepa, May 7, 2020.

1. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

Yesterday I checked the Walgreens near me and they didn’t have any KCG items. I asked one of the employees there about the new DE Gillette and all he said was the newest razors they had were the Harry’s line of cartridges.

brit likes this.
  2. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Corporations are nothing more than a legal document and a logo. On the very rare occasions that the man at the top is a visionary, and can foster the right corporate culture, they achieve greatness. But most companies are run by mean, calculating folks with little imagination, whose main skill seems to be a dull knack for keeping their jobs.
    What we have here is a middle manager who got ahold of an independent industry report that said there was some minor growth in the area of traditional DE razors. Armed with this authoritative data, he put together a presentation that convinced his bosses to rebrand a product for the sole purpose of defending their market position by creating economic pressures to drive smaller competitors out of the marketplace. I'm not inventing conspiracy theories here, just reciting basic principles taught in business schools everywhere.
    Had they been serious, they would have created something bold and distinctive, not a clone of every other entry level model in existence.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    While I won’t say you’re incorrect, I simply can’t share your cynicism.

4. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

I suppose that I am cynical, but only about the motivations. There's nothing wrong with the methods big businesses employ. The methods work. Take it from someone who's spent three decades in big business.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    Edison Carter, brit and Primotenore like this.
  5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    You know what, I am plenty cynical on a great many subjects. So says SWMBO.

Edison Carter, brit and BigMike like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

gillette has done this in the past,only buying the razor companies,rothbart,7 oclock name a couple.at least if only for market share they now have a razor they can use their blades in..not a bad thing..

Ijustmissedthe50s and BigMike like this.
  7. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

I was watching today's upload by YouTuber SinatraLennon and he mentioned seeing a new Gillette brand safety razor at Walmart. It's not the Heritage-Inspired 3-piece model. It looks like something new with different packaging and new Gillette blades.

Has anyone else seen this or heard anything about it?

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  8. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

I saw a TTO advertised with Gillette Platinum blades on the Walmart web site. Not the best-looking one I've ever seen, but interesting how this is now a thing promoting Gillette DE shaving whether it's with their brand razors or some other one. I'm gonna head up there tomorrow and see if it's there.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    Ijustmissedthe50s and Angelo85 like this.
  9. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

I agree besides, Proctor & Gamble ain't exactly the old Gillette.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  10. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

On the Walgreens website they have the King C Gillette safety razor available for purchase. Since my local Walgreens didn’t have it in stock I ordered the razor online; along with an extra packet of blades to qualify for free shipping to my home.