Making Homemade Bay Rum

Discussion in 'Soapmaking & Lotions' started by HolyRollah, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

This feels like to much chemistry for my little Brain hahaha

Joef likes this.
  2. Honer

Honer Member

It is simple and creates a wonderfully clean and refreshing product. Simply start with high proof booze and don't add too much water or witch hazel and all your oils and glycerin will stay in solution.

AussieTanker likes this.
  3. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

The thing is... In sweden its. It easy to find high proof boose.. Maybe 50% max

burnout961 likes this.
  4. hobbitofny

hobbitofny Active Member

You can use Isopropyl (Rubbing) Alcohol. In the USA, 70% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol is sold drug stores.

Omelmad likes this.
  5. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

That kind is also easy to find in Scandinavia, but is it good for a Bay rum? I Use 99% alcohol for my as but will try with 40% vodka next time - to lower the alcohol but also the smell of spirit.

6. Honer

Honer Member

Isopropyl alcohol smells awful. You will not like it as an aftershave. In contrast Everclear is very clean, has no bad smell and readily takes on the smell of the oils you dissolve in it.

Joef likes this.
  7. hobbitofny

hobbitofny Active Member

Bay Rum Essential Oil (Pimento racemosa oil) added will give you the smell of Bay Rum. This is true even if you do not use any form of rum is the AS.

8. tuxxdk

But I am confused now. From what I read and understand here, now, is that the 40% rum and vodka is not enough to keep the EO in solution?

9. hobbitofny

hobbitofny Active Member

If you want higher than 50% and no Everclear is for sale in your area, you can use Isopropyle alcohol. You might want to increase the scent oils and amount of zest used, but it does work.

10. hobbitofny

hobbitofny Active Member

You can use 40%, but you need shake it before applying. The oils separate at lower percents. I compare it to Italian Dressing where the oil and vinegar water separate. The dressing will always separate, but higher alcohol levels in AS keep the oils in solution.

saturnine and Joef like this.
  11. tuxxdk

But wasnt that what Holyrollah mentioned wasnt the case with this recipe?

12. hobbitofny

hobbitofny Active Member

post #44 recipe does not state the proof of the rum or vodka used to make it. Did I miss another recipe?

13. tuxxdk

Hmm I don't know what proof is, but I think he uses 40% in both the rum and vodka.

hobbitofny likes this.
  14. hobbitofny

hobbitofny Active Member

Sorry it is an old USA term. if you double your %, you get what proof it is. So 40% vodka is also call 80 proof.

S Barnhardt likes this.
  15. tuxxdk

So when this recipe is 40%/80 proof vodka and rum, it should separate?

Is the only downsize that it must be shaken?

16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I've never had any real 'separation' occur ith the final product—in the sense the way a bottled salad dressing separates.
    I always give the bottle a shake before taking a dose but that was mainly to properly mix any heavier particles that drifted to the bottom. This is pretty typical of most ASs I use...

Joef likes this.
  17. tuxxdk

So, let's play with the thought that it separates a lot. Does that mean I could, (play with the thought here), get 5 drops of EO in a splash by accidents, even though it's been heavily shook? Or when shaken, it's always totally diluted and then after some time on the shelf it's slowly beginning to separate again?

I'm with Omar here - it's much for our brains to digest! :-/

If you know what I mean?

18. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

A good shake before each use and you'll be fine.

tuxxdk likes this.
  19. tuxxdk

I'm just fishing after if it's worth using a stronger alcohol, or if the only "problem" is I need a quick shake. I always shake a liguid before use, no matter what, even the engine oil I pour into my cars :D So it's not an extra step for me.

20. Honer

Honer Member

75% is readily available for $19 a liter is very clean and allows for addition of witch hazel. I have tried weaker and did not like the result as much. Just don't use Isopropyl.