Making Homemade Bay Rum

Discussion in 'Soapmaking & Lotions' started by HolyRollah, Aug 23, 2013.

1. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Readily available is a dangerous term :D For instance the "readily available" Witch Hazel is hard to come by here and far from cheap :-(

I will not use Isopropyl. It has a strong alcohol scent that I don't care for that much. I'd like to avoid that.

I'll try and see if I can locate 70% or more Vodka here somewhere.. I don't think I have seen it though.

Omelmad likes this.
  2. hobbitofny

hobbitofny Active Member

I used the salad dressing for the idea of oil separation. In a 14% mix, I got small beads of the scent oil on the top. My batch was not a very good mix. I got the scents balance off. It was a good learning experience. Your recipe looks very good and I look forward to trying it.

By the way, your painting, I have seen it before but can not place where. Do you remember where it came from?

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Not sure to what you are referring?

4. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I think it is illegal hahaha. Or is it? In Sweden absinthe is illegal (not entirely sure about this), is it illegal in Denmark?

5. hobbitofny

hobbitofny Active Member

Your Avatar, the painting of the man with halo.

6. tuxxdk

Nope, there's absinthe on every corner. I have never tasted it though. I'm not a big spirit fan. I'm more beer :)

7. Fred Hill

Fred Hill Well-Known Member

Mine turned out kind-of, nice! My wife even likes it! I only got about 8 oz., after I FILTERED & Cleared it! Gonna use it, TODAY! :bounce017::happy036:

hobbitofny and tuxxdk like this.
  8. tuxxdk

8 Oz after following this recipe?

9. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

i got about 310 ml

tuxxdk likes this.
  10. tuxxdk

Interesting. And helpful. The bottle I have is 330 ml :-D which means it all should fit well.

11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Ah…okay.
    Yes. it is from an early 1950s (or late 40s) print advertisement for liquor. The man in my avatar is depicted gauging the reaction of another gentleman to whom he has handed a mixed drink. The halo I added to the goofy expression.
    Sorry, I don't remember the product—which is a major FAIL in the main intent of the ad! :D;)

hobbitofny likes this.
  12. hobbitofny

hobbitofny Active Member

Thank you. I remember the artist doing Fishing illustrations. I do not remember the artist name, but I do the style. I will look around for the drink adv..

13. okiwen

okiwen Member

Just started a batch this very moment. I was interested very long ago, and then was sent away for work. I found that I used spiced rum (which smelled a bit of vanilla) and vodka. It was hard to convert pepper corn measurement to ground pepper...couldn't get the grinder open. Gonna add ginger tomorrow, when I buy some fresh. Can't think of what flavor this will add as the ginger EO I had didn't smell of anything in particular.

Well, I guess I'll see in 5-6 weeks how I do. I hope it is good as my intention is to give it to friends for Christmas.

14. tuxxdk

Finally got all my ingredients. Started my batch today. Looks gross :D It's a pretty biggish jar, so the nearly 500ml doesn't look like much. I pretty much followed Mr. HolyRollah's recipe. Added a a few percentage more peppercorn and allspice and a tiny bit more rum, maybe 130ml instead of 120ml. Also added 4-5 drops of Clove EO, but no Lime EO as HolyRollah.

Added Aloe Vera, glycerin and vitamin E as well.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  15. tuxxdk

Kevin, what do you mean with the above amounts? Is it 6-10 allspice, 12-38 peppers and 4 tablespoon zest? Or is the amount shown already doubled from the original?

16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The amounts shown are from the original recipe—so it called for 3-5 berries; I actually used twice that amount in my mix. Sorry for the confusion.

tuxxdk likes this.
  17. tuxxdk

Great, thanks! So just to clarify it for Mr. Not so Fast here... you put in 6-10 Allspice? Sounds more logical to me.

I'll add a few more. Peppers also. The rest I nailed :)

Omelmad likes this.
  18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Yes…..:happy088:

tuxxdk likes this.
  19. tuxxdk

So.

ETA 5 days. Duration. 6 whole weeks.

Do I gain anything from waiting the final 5 days for a complete 6 week duration?

20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The satisfaction of knowing that you have the internal fortitude to overcome impatience…. :D

Other than that….probably not a noticeable difference in the bay rum.