Making Homemade Bay Rum

Discussion in 'Soapmaking & Lotions' started by HolyRollah, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Spit_Fire

Spit_Fire Well-Known Member

Do you need to shake the AS before use? I saw above you shook it occasionally while it was steeping.

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I do, out of habit. Probably not necessary, BUT I simply wish to ensure a good mix before application and considering it contains liquids of differing densities, it don't hurt to shake it up!

3. Spit_Fire

Spit_Fire Well-Known Member

Yeah I was wondering about the WH, glycerin and alchohol mix. Thanks I'm gonna try to whip up a batch.

4. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I really wanna try this. Really cost effective

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Providing, that is, if you wind up enjoying the scent of the final product....:D;)

6. Omelmad

I like bay rum scent. But the only experience has been Stirling bay rum soap

7. HomerJay

HomerJay New Member

New to TSD and just came across this thread. About a week ago I embarked on my own Bay Rum adventure based on a recipe found online. The one item not in the recipe was witchhazel. My concoction has been sitting for a week and now I am considering adding WH to the mix. My batch is much smaller, maybe 5-6 oz. Hmmmm.

8. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Sounds very interesting I didn't realize the role of glycerin,thank you for the post.

9. okiwen

okiwen Member

I wondered about the vodka, rum combination too. I am not a drinker so I don't know what one brings to the mix that the other does not. Alcohol is alcohol, right? The glycerin I get for the moisturizing effect, but the others....not too sure. OK, all you home alchemists need to share a bit, what...does what in the mix?

10. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Well, alcohol is only 40% (most likely) of said ingredients. The others are water and whatever other constituents may be added or remain behind by the maker. For instance, many spirits are aged in oak barrels or casks that were used to age other spirits. One of my favorites is a single malt whisky aged in an oak barrel that was previously used to age port.
    Rums, are typically distilled from molasses or cane sugar and is much different flavor-wise than a typical vodka. Vodkas are distilled from just about any carbohydrate and are generally meant to be flavorless.
    So, you're basically adding different "noses" into the mix.

Oh and my concoction has been steeping for three weeks now. It's not looking very promising so far. Glad I went cheap on the booze portion.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2015
    HolyRollah likes this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I've found that even after one removes the organic components (spices, fruit, etc. ) and filters the contents, the fragrance will continue to 'change' (mellow?) over the course of the next 5-6 months. I bottled/decanted mine in Sept of 2013, and am now down to the last half of my final bottle. I love the scent and it has continued to be a very pleasant aftershave. I do plan on making another batch in the coming months.

12. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Good to know.
    Mine just doesn't seem very spicy yet. I think I went overboard on the lime zest.
    I'm going to give it a few weeks and adjust it then. One can always add...

13. fishrmanjohn

fishrmanjohn New Member

very similar to my recipe....I use spiced rum, and boost with 91 percent isopropyl alcohol....this denature it so might be more marketable...I havent used ginger and I add cloves....It bites me, but I want that...a good recipe!

14. Omelmad

Add more allspice?

15. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I did, and am giving it a couple of additional weeks

Omelmad likes this.
  16. Omelmad

I hope it works out =)

17. argus

argus enjoys hairy lady legs

I did something halfway to a DIY Bay Rum

Took 50 ml of Bello Bay Rum (ingredients: alcohol and bay leaf oils) and added in the spices, vanilla essence (home made with vodka and vanilla beans) and orange zest. I can imagine that can only improve the basic bay rum :)

18. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Im trying the same with some Lucky Tiger bay rum. Ive added some cloves and allspice berries.

19. Moses Brown

Moses Brown Active Member

I now know what caused the burning bush ... DIY bay rum gone wild!

Awesome thread!

20. Omelmad

Hey could you write down the final recipe in the first post? =) to make it easier for us to copy your recipe