Making Homemade Bay Rum

Discussion in 'Soapmaking & Lotions' started by HolyRollah, Aug 23, 2013.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Post #44

2. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Thanks =)

See here @tuxxdk

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
    tuxxdk likes this.
  3. ChuckT

ChuckT New Member

I have made a few batches of Bay Rum Aftershave and have always used the Aura Cacia essential oil for the Bay scent. I just ordered a live Pimenta Racemosa plant. Has anybody used real West Indies Bay Rum leaves in their recipes? If so, do the leaves have to be dried or can I use fresh leaves cut from the plant/tree?

Omelmad likes this.
  4. Omelmad

I have seen on the internet people using Fresh leaves.

Is a live plant expensive? Hard to tend to?

5. ChuckT

ChuckT New Member

I just bought a plant from Almost Eden Plants (website is almostedenplants) It hasn't arrived yet. Very reasonable priced at under $10. Nice people, too.

6. ChuckT

ChuckT New Member

My recipe, for those interested: (I tinker with it each time)
    8 oz Vodka (or EverClear. I have also used less alcohol and made up the difference with Witch Hazel, but I don't like the scent of WH)
    4 Tbsp Rum (I've used both dark and light rum and don't really notice a difference, but for some reason, I prefer the dark)
    30-50 drops of Bay essential oil (8-15 leaves of the West Indies Bay plant may be substituted, although I have not tried this yet. Don't use the bay leaves from the grocery store!)
    24 Allspice berries, cracked (I've used less, but I like the spicy scent these contribute to the end result)
    2 sticks Cinnamon, broken up
    3 taps of ground Cloves (I've also used whole cloves. Some may prefer to omit the cloves altogether, but I like the spicy scent)
    1 Tbsp grated ginger
    Zest of 1 or 2 limes (can substitute zest of orange or combine lime and orange)
    15-20 drops Lavender essential oil (you can use Rosemary or Ylang Ylang, too, depending on your scent preference. I haven't been bold enough to combine these in a batch -- may have to do that in the future)
    Glycerine (added after all the other ingredients have been combined, distilled for 4 - 6 weeks, and strained. I add several drops.)

As with the other recipes, combine all the ingredients except the Glycerine in a tightly sealed jar. Shake daily. After 4-6 weeks, strain the mixture and add the glycerine. Glycerine and Witch Hazel add the skin healing properties, so if you use WH, you can reduce the glycerine.

Enjoy! I'll report back about my next batch using real Pimenta Racemosa leaves instead of Bay EO.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
    Omelmad likes this.
  7. Omelmad

Sounds very interesting. But it contains many things I dont have and can't really afford right now hahaha

8. Omelmad

That's crazy.. I want one of those plants =P

9. SEARON

SEARON New Member

I am getting ready to make my first attempt at mixing this up. I made up this label today and I think it conveys the product quite well. I hope it is a success as I plan to give to the men in our family. So far this has been a fun project ..... not using anything that needs to age so it should be good to go right away. I will keep you posted on final recipe.

Attached Files:

macaronus, HolyRollah and Omelmad like this.
  10. Omelmad

Please update is on the results

macaronus likes this.
  11. Omelmad

@HolyRollah

So I have a question about the ginger in this recipe. I love ginger, both taste and smell. Of course im not drinking the aftershave =P BUT.. That amount you used, how clear is the ginger in the scent? Can to much finger irritate the skin?

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Picking out (discerning) a distinct 'ginger' scent is difficult as it melds into a complex ' herbal spice' scent (ginger, cinnamon, peppercorn, lime, bay, rosemary, etc). I imagine too much of any of the spices (cinnamon, ginger, etc) can cause an allergic reaction with some people. How much is too much? Difficult to say as people's sensitivity varies.

13. Omelmad

Hmm, good points =) when I try it im gonna use 1.5 times the amount you used =P

14. Fred Hill

Fred Hill Well-Known Member

15. Fred Hill

:happy108:I want some of that "BAY-OF-PIGS" Bay Rum! OH, YEA! "Sploosh-Me, 'Daddy-O;' my ANGELICA is-a-waiting!" :love055:

16. Omelmad

How much does the rosemary really add? is it just a preference thing?

17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

It adds to the complex 'herbal' note that balances out the spice in the mix. Is it essential? Personal preference.

18. Omelmad

Maybe not essential, but that did sound like a very good idea actually =)

The spiced are no problem for me, and I have finally ordered witch hazel. I traveling in a few days and was thinking of buying rum and vodka for this recipe. Does it matter with kind I buy? I was thinking of keeping the cost low. So a "cheap" vodka for around 15$ and a "cheap" rum as well. Im looking at the duty free shop and I see Bacardi dark rum and some kind of norwegian vodka. Does it have to be top quality? =P

after this, the only thing I need is the essential oils =D

19. Fred Hill

I'm gonna "Recipe-Up" after the manner of your 'concoction!' I've wanted to make my own for some time, now! Maybe your photo's encouraged me? Thanks for the input! Hope it turns out "GREAT," for you (& Me!) I'm going to name mine "Ington Cove Bay Rum!" I'm from a little City named "Covington," along The Ohio River! :rofl:
    "Happy-Shaving," HolyRollah! (He's coming...SOON!Praise Him!)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The cheap stuff is just fine for this recipe as one isn't drinking it.