Manly but floral?

Discussion in 'Scents' started by Shotwell, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Highly YMMV comment:
    I'm starting to think I'm doing something wrong - but to me the A/S scent is not really a big consideration - it seems like all aftershaves I've tried only really last for anything between 5 and 20 minutes then they are gone. If you use a cologne the A/S scent is almost immediately [to me] masked by the more powerful cologne.

Then again I may just not have a very refined nose - but I spend more time and money picking a good cologne and base my A/S purchase on how it makes my face feel.

Interesting discussion on the topic over at basenotes.com here

Hodge likes this.
  2. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

A little bit of cross-posting here, but thought I'd share my experience from my SOTD:

ecided to try something different since my wife has said she has disliked the traditional scents I've tried this far (namely, Clubman Pinaud, Master Bay Rum, and Aqua Velva Ice Blue). So I did some sniffing (literally) around the cabinet with colognes and perfumes in our master bathroom, and found a scent I liked. And taking a cue from this thread, I chose the White Citrus Eau du Cologne from Bath and Body Works. I took about 1 oz. of the unscented Clear Head by Head Blade after shave treatment and added about 7-8 spritzes of the White Citrus EdC, mixed it all together, checked it to make sure I approved, and splashed it on. Turns out it seems to be a hit with my wife!

So... Lesson learned: maybe some scents are *not* gender-specific after all! Thanks to Queen of Blades et al for the inspiration!

3. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

Glad to hear you are branching out into other scent territories and I appreciate your comments on the "gender" of scents. I would just like to point out that a lot of what we consider "masculine" and "feminine" fragrances are very cultural too. In the USA masculine for a long time meant heavy musk, woody, or spicy scents and flowery or sweet scents were thought to be more for the ladies. But in some European countries like France and Italy: Rose, Lavender and Almond notes are commonly considered masculine. It's an interesting meditation on what is masculine really?

4. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

For the most part, I agree. Also, I don't put on an AS splash if I know I'm going to put cologne on too. I'll either go commando or put on a balm. There are some AS splashes that don't die down once they dry down. (See what I did there?) Aqua Velva Musk, Clubman Reserve, Lilac Vegetal, Stetson Cool Moisture are all ones off the top of my head that stick around like a fat kid at the samples table.

Boojum1, Darkbulb and BigMark like this.
  5. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Darkbulb likes this.
  6. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Me, too. I use a balm with very little scent. The scent I want to linger is the cologne, not the AS.

ps1160 and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  7. Shotwell

Anyone know where Lilac Vegetal can typically be bought at a chain/retail store in the US?

markjnewcomb likes this.
  8. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Old Spice Lime might work.

9. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I saw someone on another board posted it was available at walgreen's.

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Regrettably, that's exactly where I encountered a bottle. ;):D

Kilgore Trout and markjnewcomb like this.
  11. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I've heard tales of people finding it at the Bed Bath & Beyonds that have bath products and toiletry items (not all do, kind of only their 'superstores'). I've never seen it though.

12. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

Not everyone can pull it off, but patchouli can be quite nice as well so long as it works with your particular body chemistry. But it's another one (scent) that's often over-done and also suffers from a generally pejorative image in America...:char039:

[​IMG]

13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

One day I am going to have to try that infamous veggie :)

Shotwell likes this.
  14. Shotwell

The pejorative factor is one reason I'll never buy Old Spice (classic anyway). And not only does it have a "your grandfather used it" stigma, but I had a 10th grade Poli Sci teacher who wore it daily, and even one sniff of the stuff now reminds me of smelling it every day while listening to him ramble about the vagaries of the two-party system.

Funny how for some things (in my case, Old Spice), "your grandfather used this" conjures a negative image of being passé or obsolete,... while in other cases (shaving gear, a leather-bound journal, the old wooden snowshoes my grandfather had on his wall in his basement), "your grandfather used this" makes it that much cooler and desirable.

15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

You sound very much like a guy who would state,"…ya know, someday I'm gonna have to try some of that amateurly-prepared fugu sashimi so I can find out what all the fuss is about…."

markjnewcomb likes this.
  16. Shotwell

That would be one way to find out definitively.

17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Oh dem darn hipsters think of the craziest things.

18. ps1160

ps1160 Well-Known Member

I love Speick, but I don't pick up a lavender scent from it. I like WSP Lavender soap and Purple Grapefruit from Catie's Bubbles.

Bristle Me likes this.
  19. ps1160

ps1160 Well-Known Member

Good call on the lavender. I just looked at the ingredients list and there it was.

20. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

The Speick plant itself is related to lavender, too. The English name is Spike Lavender.

ps1160 likes this.