Mantics Tutorial Videos

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Mama Bear, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Wooho another video to watch when i get home. The life time of blades for me is maxed out at 4. Which is a pain because i get 4 2-3 pass shaves out of most blades. Some i only get 2.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Have you tried hand stropping?

3. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Ya i have tried. But never notice much of a difference. But do you think it might work for some blades better than others? I have yet to try it with Voskhods.

4. m0j0j0eman

m0j0j0eman Active Member

Mantic, you are the man.

5. blazeadam

blazeadam Active Member

Thanks for the videos Mantic, very helpful.

6. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Based on the latest video instead of hand stropping I might run the razor blade on a towel 2 times per blade edge. I wish I had someway to keep the water off of it. Might have to pick up some 90% alcohol and a atomizer to keep off the water.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I believe hand stropping will not only smooth out the blade, but, as long as my hands are dry, it will dry the blade AND distribute a very light coat of my own natural oil from my skin, thus eliminating the need for a towel and a dunk in the olive oil.

8. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

I will do try to do a comparison for myself... once I finish trying to compare using preshave and not. So far the using preshave i winning. Might pick up a tub of poraso preshave today if the have it at the pharmacy im heading to.

I doubt there is much oil at all. You do not need much. I might try rinse, towel rub. Then hand strop. To see what works for me. :D

9. fate3

fate3 New Member

excellent videos, i feel like i'm not going to have a productive day at the office today

10. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

11. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

That was interesting, Johnny. Thanks for posting it.

12. Wow, what a great resource! Thanks Mantic!

13. CSG

CSG Member

I've really enjoyed mantic's vids and have recommended them to others. He indeed taught me a few things that my father never taught me and I spent years, on and off, trying all sorts of shaving methods but finally gave up with anything but a Norelco or Bic disposables in the shower. Now, I'm shaving again like I used to but without the mistakes I kept repeating for years. I shave a little quicker than he does because I think a quick stroke cuts better than the slow strokes I see him take in his vids but that's for once you get the rest sorted out.

14. jjadamsfb

jjadamsfb Member

The intro tutorial videos were great, I think I have enough info to start hacking away!

15. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

:duel:
    No hacking please. Use smooth stead strokes with no pressure. Enjoy your shave.

16. fishshocker

fishshocker New Member

HOLY CRAP, I blew a whole work day watching these videos!!!!

KLF and IAmTheJody like this.
  17. InfernoOrangeSS

InfernoOrangeSS New Member

This helped me out tremendously! Thank you!

awake2shave likes this.
  18. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

Just spent an hour watching some of these videos. I was using my phone so I skipped some of the longer ones. I will watch those from the laptop soon. Can't wait to try some of the things I have learned.

InfernoOrangeSS likes this.
  19. InfernoOrangeSS

InfernoOrangeSS New Member

I agree! It helps tremendously to be able to see someone put them into practice.

20. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

Wow, I watched one of the advanced technique videos and can't believe how much better my neck is after using the J stroke. I think I will hold off on the slide stroke though.