March 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Mar 1, 2018.

?

What's Your March Madness?

1. Shavette Dojo with the Samurai Man

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Rule baby!

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. Learning a new razor

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. Soap Mania

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  5. Brushes

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  6. A Focus of some kind

12 vote(s)
    35.3%
  7. Cookie Madness!

16 vote(s)
    47.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyX

RyX DoH!

Anxiously awaiting Neal's @NCoxSTL opener for April.
    Or am I obnoxiously waiting?

2. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I guess we’d better cut him some slack as he is unpacking today. We won’t start hurling insults until 6pm MST.

3. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I'd put it in between. Stirling is soft but not as soft as Proraso.

Sent from my Z899VL using Tapatalk

4. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I felt a disturbance in the force. The good news is the internet is on now. The bad news....has anyone seen my laptop??

Sent from my Z899VL using Tapatalk

5. jtface

jtface Well-Known Member

Cool, thanks for the info.

6. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Thanks guys. Coincidentally, I’m actually considering wrapping my head in ocean kelp as we speak.

7. jtface

jtface Well-Known Member

You know that you need to keep the kelp underwater right? Not sure how much the activity will improve upon your current situation!:bounce015:

FaceScraper, Keithmax, 9nein9 and 4 others like this.
  8. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Randy @BaylorGator, the amboyna handles are lovely. Your current health situation is not! Hope you feel better soon. This might be a radical suggestion, but instead of wrapping your head in seaweed, have you considered seeing a doctor?

Clint @clint64, great calendar summary of your month, as usual. The AoS Peppermint sounds great; Ocean Kelp does not...

Neal @NCoxSTL, hope the rest of the move -- unpacking and setting up -- goes smoothly.

Jason @jtspartan, good summary of your month. I enjoyed your photos. I am sure you can find something Awesome to do in April even if it doesn't involve using Arko or an Adjustable every day...

9. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

John... did my wife hack into your account again? What kind of a man goes to the doctor when he’s sick!?!
    Oh, and yes, as radical as it is, I’m on antibiotics and awaiting what can only be adequately described as demon possession to leave me. Jared pretty much hit the nail on the head.

10. Screwtape

Saturday March 31
    IMG_00000210.jpg

Rockwell 6s on plate #3 / Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless ( 4)
    Semogue Owners Club cherrywood Tuxedo
    The Dry Dock shave bowl
    B+M regular Bay Rum sample
    Jeeves of Hudson Street Bay Rum splash

For my last shave this month, I used another sample, this time of one of B+M's premium soaps. I think the Bay Rum isn't a "pure" bay rum but it certainly smells nice. (I just looked it up: real West Indies bay leaf, real blackstrap rum, orange, benzoin (smells like vanilla), and a bit of cinnamon.) For my last shave, I also used one of my "new" brushes from this month -- the Semogue SOC that @jtspartan reknotted for me with an APShaveCo Tuxedo knot. It whipped up a wonderful lather -- a bit runny but very very slick with excellent shave performance and a wonderful soft postshave face feel. This soap has lanolin and shea in it as well as tallow, and it shows. Great stuff!

Two passes with the razor brought me back to a DFS nearly BBS.

I finished off the shave with the equally excellent Jeeves Bay Rum splash. Actually, the B&M and Jeeves versions of bay rum complement each other very well because both use orange in their mix.

This month, I started off intending to do a Rule with shavette. I used it long enough to get some bloodless DFS shaves from the shavette, then decided it wasn't for me. I switched to SR, tried that and got a good shave also. However, I decided that wasn't for me either, going forward. I then switched to a dual focus -- working my way through my accumulated samples and working in two new brushes I had acquired this month (the Semogue Tuxedo and a boar brush from Jayaruh.) Those have both gone very well for the rest of the month and I have enjoyed them thoroughly.

For April, I intend to start by finishing off my sample run: another shave with the Bay Rum, then a couple of B&M Seville, then a shave with a chunk of B&M's new Reserve Cool sent me by Jason @jtspartan, a chunk of First Canadian (also from Jason), and finally a couple samples of Soapy Bathman soaps (Desperado and Fall at the Cabin). Then I will probably use Arko for awhile. I will use various adjustables throughout the month. Brushes will vary depending on whim. It will all be totally Awesome!

I've enjoyed reading everyone's reports and looking at the photos this month, as well as exploring various sidetrails along the way. Hope to see you all over in the April thread!

11. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Sounds like a nice shave John! Great report! Love that bowl!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

FaceScraper, 9nein9, RyX and 2 others like this.
  12. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

So my wife comes out, ready to go to dinner, and she is smokin!! And my daughter, well.... So we are kinda headed into Cooter-Land for bar food, and all I can think is, “Damn, I’m getting too old for this:

FaceScraper, Keithmax, RyX and 5 others like this.
  13. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

I'll get a pic of the lathe . It's not in the garage with the other equipment.

14. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Never too old . Older the fiddle , the sweeter the tune .

FaceScraper, Keithmax, RyX and 4 others like this.
  15. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Awesome pic Jason . Love the backdrop. For April you can always go with an Aqua Velva theme. Hehe

16. jtspartan

Thank you, Patrick. I think I have some AV Ice Sport around here somewhere...

17. jtspartan

Great write up, John. I look forward to your review of the Soapy Bathman soaps. I’ve always felt a little guilty not supporting a BC company that others have spoken highly of.

18. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Thanks to @Bamasamurai and @Jayurah for letting me learn the shavette this month. Last shave of the month was perfectly fitting an irritation free BBS shave. I will definitely be putting this in the rotation going forward maybe shavette Saturday? [​IMG]

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

9nein9, FaceScraper, Keithmax and 7 others like this.
  19. Screwtape

20. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

My ATT S1 is cleaned up and put away, the B&M soaps and aftershaves are moved to the back, fresh blade loaded in April's razor, the SOC boar will be taken from the vanity when it's fully dry. I'm ready for the morning shave! :)

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

9nein9, FaceScraper, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.