March 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Mar 1, 2018.

?

What's Your March Madness?

1. Shavette Dojo with the Samurai Man

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Rule baby!

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. Learning a new razor

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. Soap Mania

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  5. Brushes

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  6. A Focus of some kind

12 vote(s)
    35.3%
  7. Cookie Madness!

16 vote(s)
    47.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great lineup for a rule Adam. 30 days should make a real dent in the tub of soap.

9nein9, sdguero, RyX and 5 others like this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

My March Focus will be trying to get back into the swing of 65-Slim usage. I just received some nice blades from a gentleman who needs no introduction(thus I won't introduce the man), but I am in the process of washing&cleaning the razor, as it fell off the sink. I mean, the thing is DIRRRR-TEEE! (See, that's why I can't do any shave videos, although I would love to...bathroom is too small). Anyway, it'll be a slow gradual process with me, but I'll be giving it another go (the 65, that is). Let's have a great month, everyone!!

NCoxSTL, mrchick, 9nein9 and 10 others like this.
  3. Paul Turner

I must say, Perry, you're getting some serious use outta that Jeeves soap!!

9nein9, sdguero, Norcalnewb and 5 others like this.
  4. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Thank you, Jim!

9nein9, sdguero, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  5. Paul Turner

Wow....lots of soap in THAT baby!!!

6. PLAla

Thank you, Clint!

7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Continuing on with the Micromatic..... Day 99

Gem OCMM
    Gem PTFE (4)
    Omega Baby Pro
    Palmolive SC

I think I prefer the Clog Pruf to the OCMM, but there was no difference in comfort this morning.

Enjoy your March shenanigans....

8. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I was in the midst of replying to the last posts of the February when the thread suddenly became locked :signs131:. So let me just say John @Screwtape , Dalton @LevelupShaves , and Neal @NCoxSTL , Great closing shaves for the month!

Awesome shot, Jim!
    Beautiful photo Clint! What size is the knot in that brush!
    Fantastic photo, Perry!
    Awesome shot, Mark!
    Keep at it Dalton, it will get better! Awesome setup too!
    That is such a gorgeous razor, James! Congrats!
    I stopped using alum because of the tightness. I'm curious to see if you can discern any difference between the New LC and SC!
    Looks like an awesome month Adam! Hopefully the 1/2 DE shavette will treat you better this month.

mrchick, 9nein9, sdguero and 9 others like this.
  9. PLAla

Thanks, Andrew!

10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Andrew. If I recall correctly the finished measurements are 26mm x 52mm. I'll try to remember to measure this evening.

11. GawainandtheGreenKnight

GawainandtheGreenKnight Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone for advice, I'm going to use the Swedish Supersteel and really try to focus on angle around the chin and jaw line for this 30 days and get this thing figured out.

12. Linuxguile

So for March Madness, I think I will have a no focus focus and use a different setup for each shave this month(except for my week with The Bunny) working in some new razors that I have acquired. The Bunny will be making a stop at my house next week on pass around. And I have a few new DE's SE's and of course still a handful of prototype injectors that I haven't shaved with. so who knows what will end up in my SOTD photos! Of course the obvious focus will be on technique and getting great shaves out of any equipment I decide to use.

NCoxSTL, mrchick, 9nein9 and 10 others like this.
  13. Linuxguile

FYI here is the thread on riding the cap:
    3pc DE Aggressive Razor Fundamentals - "Riding the cap"

NCoxSTL, mrchick, sdguero and 9 others like this.
  14. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

March 1, 2018

Razor: NDC Post-War Tech (first pass)/Sterling Tech (second pass)
    Blade: Gillette Nacet (3)/GSB
    Brush: 30DC LE/Pure Badger
    Soap: Williams

The Shave Gods are fickle sometimes. After two great shaves with the Post-War Tech and Nacet, the blade went south this morning. I could tell as soon as I started the first pass that something was off- lots of tugging and little reduction. For the second pass, I grabbed the Sterling and GSB from Monday for a decent finish with no issues.

I'm not sure what happened with the Nacet but, for now, I'll assume I did something wrong after yesterday's shave. Tomorrow should be the Fatboy and a Platinum Plus. I'll get back to the Nacet in a bit.

I'm not sure what direction that March will be taking yet. After reading Neal's exploits with the MMOC and a CS blade, I'm considering giving the MMCP and Blue Star blades another try.

15. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Some awesome photos to get March started off! Great job guys! :signs154:

NCoxSTL, 9nein9, sdguero and 5 others like this.
  16. FaceScraper

You're gonna end up getting it, Dalton! I have faith in ya! Great setup too!

17. FaceScraper

Good luck taming the beast, Adam!!

18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Bruce.

19. FaceScraper

In April, I’m going to be living on a remote, deserted island. A small hut, with a nice sink and mirror are provided, but very little countertop/storage. I have to narrow my gear down to the bare essentials. I may only pick one soap to, and my choices allowed are as follows:

Arko, Mitchell’s Wool Fat, Tabac, and Williams

I have the month of March to narrow it down, and decide on which one is making the cut.

I have already decided on my razor, which will be a ’64 Gillette Slim. As for blades, I’m going to go with Astra S/P.

Ok, so…I’m not really going to be moving anywhere in April (that I’m aware of!). But, I am going to face off four classic soaps, for a week each. I enjoy each one of these, but I seldom ever use one of them for multiple days in a row, nor do they often get used back to back. I just want to see which of these offerings would make top spot, if I could chose only one. Like that’s gonna happen!

Neal @NCoxSTL did basically the same thing for the month of February, which gave me the idea to do something similar. I normally bounce around like a kid who ate a whole pack of candy, with a 6-pack soda as a chaser. This will be, by far, the closest I’ve ever come to a rule or focus (even though I know it’s a smart thing to do). It’s my plan…we’ll see how well I can stick to it!

I’ll begin Sunday, so each soap gets one week. Plus, that’s when I normally switch to a fresh blade. As for a brush….ummmm, yeah. I’m gonna use brushes….;)

20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Bruce that is a wonderful idea for a focus. Last year I spend several months doing a brush and soap a week pairing before moving onto the next brush and soap. This really allowed me to dial in each of the soaps.

NCoxSTL, mrchick, 9nein9 and 9 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.