March 2022 30 Day Rule/Focus and Discussion. All Are Welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Trigger, Feb 28, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Hi everyone!

It's March Madness Month!

It means to try something new in your shaving routine. It could be using a new razor, soap, brush, blades, etc. You may also try to prep your beard differently by using cold water instead of warm water or vice versa.. These are just suggestions so as to give you food for thought. You might even think of something that I didn't suggest and that would be cool, too. Remember, it's your shave, so do it your way.

I want to thank all of you for contributing to the thread last month. You guys had awesome shaves with great gear. First, I want to congratulate @JACarbone Joe on buying a new home in Fla. Second, Kudos to Paul @Paul Turner for his positive attitude even when his shaves don't go according to plan. Third, it's good to have Danny @Hembree sharing his shave stories with his new stuff. Fourth, I am impressed with Gary's @brit inproved photography skills and some nice upgrades on his setups. Fifth, @palmolivefox I am happy that Barry is enjoying his injector blades. Finally, @ewk, @SRQShaver, @MaineYooper, the three Erics, I will be excited to see how you guys improve with your shaves. Oh least I forget, Jeff @jgreenepa displayed some marvelous razors last month

Ok, that is last month's recap. Let's proceed with other matters.

I want to welcome all the veterans of the 30 DC and all the newcomers. This thread is for the purposes of improving your shave technique so that you will consistently get great shaves. There are a number of ways to do it. These are suggestions so feel free to do whatever you want in regards to your shave:

The 30 Day Rule
    Take ONE razor, ONE blade, ONE brush, ONE soap/cream and use them EVERYDAY this month. Yes, everyday. But Trigger, I want variety! I know you do, but until you perfect your technique, it makes little sense to constantly change the variables of your shave.

For you out there that are not up to the rigors of the Rule, there is this alternative:

The Focus
    Vary the gear for each shave, save for perhaps one or two elements.
    This is a more accessible challenge for the majority of shavers. I like to pick a particular aspect of the shave, be it the lather, a certain blade or a new razor, that needs breaking in, and not change it daily, until I have mastered those tools.

Ok, to keep the thread on a nice even keel, I ask everyone to follow the thread etiquette as listed below:

1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.
    2. Old Members always welcome.
    3. Respect everyone.
    4. Refrain from political conversation.**
    ** This includes, but is not limited to: Covid-19, treatments and/or advice.
    Please keep these discussions off of this thread.

I also want to suggest that we should try to assess our shaves as to why it was good or why it was not up to your standards and express these reasons in your comments. The spirit of this thread is to improve our shaves and if we share the reasons why a shave was good or bad, then we are giving our experiences to encourage good technique and discourage bad technique so that we have great info to get better shaves. I am not suggesting that we do it for every comment, but I think it would make for a healthier thread if we start to do it more than we have in the past years.

Moreover, you don't have to do a rule or a focus. You are free to change your setup on a shave to shave basis.

Finally, I want this thread to continue to be a friendly place. It is ok to disagree because that is how we learn from each other, but let's encourage and respect every member. Yes, even if you think they are off the wall. Let's face it! We all are a little off because of our different Aquisition Disorders. Lol!

Let's have a group hug!

[​IMG]

Also, let's have a great March with great shaves and fine fellowship!

Sincerely,

Joe (Trigger)

2. brit

brit in a box

thank you Joe.awesome intro..:):eatdrink047:

Paul Turner and Trigger like this.
  3. palmolive fox

palmolive fox The British Birdman

Superb March intro Joe...Thanks for the shout.

brit and Trigger like this.
  4. palmolive fox

1st March 2022.

s.jpg

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/Asda Sea Salt & Fennel Extract 2 in1 Shower Gel.

Pre:
    Cold wet flannel to my face.
    Simple Pure Bar Soap.
    Brush: Yaqi 26mm Rainbow Brown Synthetic. (Faux Horse)
    Face Lather.
    Frankenlather: Pears Transparent bar Soap + Wilkinson Sword Soap Bowl.
    Blade: Ted Pella PTFE SS. (D8)
    Razor: Gem Micromatic (OC)

Cold water face wash with brush squeezing's, Cold Water Face Rinse./ Homemade (~Autumn/Winter mix~) peppermint lavender, eucalyptus, + Tea Tree essential Oils Mixed Together With 200ml of Care+Witch Hazel./Benjamins Mentholated Bay Rum./L'0REAL Reinforcing ASB.

Greetings,
    "White Rabbits"..1st of March Early Morning Shave,

A wonderful efficient shave from the Gem Micromatic.....8th outing of the Ted Pella PTFE SS which still felt smooth with an efficient edge mowing through my stubble with no sign of dulling.
    Finishing the shave off with a small dollop of L'0REAL Reinforcing ASB. A enjoyable 2 pass + pick ups close comfortable shave with no errors to report.

My face is feeling smooth & smelling divine.;)

Keep safe, and enjoy your day ladies & gentlemen.:cool:

MrDaniel's, brit and Trigger like this.
  5. Trigger

Thank you guys! It's very much appreciated.

brit and palmolive fox like this.
  6. Trigger

Excellent start to the month Barry!

brit and palmolive fox like this.
  7. palmolive fox

:signs001: Joe.

8. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

Thanks for the shout-out Joe. I am not ready to commit to an extended single edge shaving period, but soon. A strop has been ordered :)

9. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Happy March, fellas! @Trigger , thanks for the good intro and reference to me about how I feel when my shaves go bad. Naturally, I wish they all could be Outta This World, but we can't be all perfect. In recent shaves, I have done well down at Cactus Nation(neck)and I hope to keep that up. But the pressure of doing so could cause me a Cut, Knick, or Polkadot. Like all of us, I just do the shave and see how it looks&feels at the end. Course as I "do" it, I think a lot about what I've learned here. It was this month last year when I blew the NB I had going. Thus far, I am a "NB22", but I'm not sure I can go all the way, as I'm sure to finish at least one soap, and might choose to replace it. We shall see. Anyway, great to be in for another month, and let's have some great shaves!!

10. Trigger

That's fine Eric! I still enjoy your shave posts.

brit and ewk like this.
  11. Trigger

Paul, you are an asset to this thread. You are a funny guy.

brit and Paul Turner like this.
  12. Paul Turner

Fine shave this morning that should have been a little better. I didn't like my brush-swirling action at first, and thus felt I should go for a minute. I wasn't counting, but I got it to go a little better after the decision. Very good shave all around. I think I did some damage at the left side of Cactus Nation, but that was the only blip. More a Knick than Cut, but it happened. No red stuff. I realized I needed to work a little more at N. Cactus(just below the jawline), and I got what I had missed earlier. Cheeks and sideburns were great. I have to lift my glasses so as to apply and then shave off the soap at the sideburns. The "PS"(Paul Sebastian) has to be applied carefully, as Paul created a cologne along with his aftershave, thus it has a cologne-like appearance and scent. I wonder if Paul is the father or grandfather of John(Lovin' Spoonful). Why did I say that. Y'know, I just don't know. Anyway-the March opener gets a Super Duper Excellent.

13. Paul Turner

Thank you and thank you. :)

14. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

[​IMG]

Colibri (Hummingbird) with 1.1mm plate.
    Feather blade (3).
    Delrin handle synthetic brush.
    Soap Commander Fortitude shave soap.
    Timeless shave bowl.
    American Tobacco by Andy Hilfiger.

Awesome Tuesday shave.

It is hard to believe that we are in the third month of this year. I appreciate Joe @Trigger leading the group again. He is doing a wonderful job and I'll try to keep up with the thread when I can.

I am going to try my hand at nickel plating this month and will keep everyone updated on my successes or failures. Hopefully by the end if the month I'll have a razor or two plated.

Have a great day everyone!

15. Paul Turner

Ya better have more SUCCESSES than failures.

brit and Hembree like this.
  16. Trigger

Fine start to the month Paul.

brit and Paul Turner like this.
  17. Trigger

It's another Alabama awesome shave Danny. Thank you for your support. It's very much appreciated. It's an honor for me to continue and safeguard this thread. Enjoy your day.

brit and Hembree like this.
  18. Paul Turner

"Dan The Fortitude Man" comes through again!!!! :)

brit, Hembree and Trigger like this.
  19. Hembree

Thanks Joe

Trigger and brit like this.
  20. Hembree

Good stuffffff.....thanks Paul.

Trigger, Paul Turner and brit like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.