Martin De Candre: $$$, But Worth it?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by HolyRollah, Jan 1, 2014.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Another reason I've come to truly enjoy MdC is the longevity of the puck itself.
    This recent shot for SOTD is after nearly 2 dozen uses, yielding generous lather each time. It still looks near new…
    [​IMG]

2. jmsodpc

jmsodpc Well-Known Member

since i get many questions about fougere vs original scented...here's my take....

they definitely both smell similar to each other....if you are blindfolded and asked to smell both of them...you can definitely tell they are made from the same place....
    that being said they also smell slightly different...the original scented is more lavender scented and the fougere has a lighter citrus type fern scent.

i personally have both, use both, and prefer fougere if you made me choose one...but i'm glad i dont have to choose and glad i own both.

HolyRollah likes this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I agree that both these soaps smell very similar,with each having a minor distinct difference in the scent. Both have the MdC base fragrance (herbal, camphor, lavender, etc), but the fougére does have that slightly citrusy, earthy, 'wet forest' scent.
    I enjoy both 'flavors.'....:happy088:

4. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Sure. Live a little.

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

You only live once! ;)...at least here on earth.:D

These MdC soaps are indulgences—no doubt! But we all make choices where we invest our shaving dollars.
    Personally, I prefer to invest them in good software (soaps, lotions & balms). To compensate for this extravagance, I make do with some decent, but not extravagant brushes (most, if not all, were well under $40 a piece), while others here may have a gallery of $200+ brushes.

PLANofMAN, ObiDon and Kilgore Trout like this.
  6. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

It is an indulgence- like buying a Toyota Camry for the price of Mercedes S-class. I suggest the use of a synthetic brush for prospective MdC owners because synths are much more efficient than natural brushes and you will use less product to produce the same amount of lather from naturals. The brush should pay for itself with the amount you save.

7. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

It is indeed an indulgence. However in my opinion, it's like buying a Mercedes S-class for the price of a Mercedes S-class. Love all three flavors.

PLANofMAN and Kilgore Trout like this.
  8. Aimless1

Aimless1 Active Member

I just picked up another unscented jar of MdC. This may last me forever. I can't even tell I've been the jar I've had for the past few months. Up front cost may be a a lot, but I haven't found cost per use any more than MWF or many of the artisan soaps I've been using.

HolyRollah likes this.
  9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

It will last a while….;)

By the way…One jar lasts a year if used everyday: $60 into 365 days = 16¢ a shave.
    I've gotten about 2.5 months worth of shaves (about 75-80 shaves) from a puck of a fine Tabac soap refill that cost $15.
    $15 into 80 days = 18¢ a shave.

Not a whole lotta difference...

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
    PLANofMAN and ObiDon like this.
  10. fram773

Is that from the 8 swirls some say it takes? It took me more like 25 swirls (with a Semogue 830 boar) to pick up enough product. Same as any other soap.

11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I suppose it ranges from about 10-12 swirls or so to work up a good initial brush load for face-lathering. I can't say I honestly count swirls, but estimating about 8-10 seconds of vigorous 'swirling' sounds about right. It'll develop good lather for two, maybe three passes. Boar or badger or synthetic. I've used all three. The omega Syn is a bit floppy so it may require a few more 'swirls.' The badger seems to work best for me.

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

That would be a Lexus, then. ;)

PLANofMAN likes this.
  13. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Now there is a man who pays attention to detail.

PLANofMAN and HolyRollah like this.
  14. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

You can get a very good brush load in 6 sec. Last time I did the 6sec load, just for fun I got 3 passes with some extra. "A little dab will do ya."

HolyRollah likes this.
  15. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

I believe Mdc is well worth money. I too have found 6-7 seconds of load time is more than enough for a three pass shave and the shave quality cannot be beat. Have scented and Fougere, both near a dozen shaves each and doesn't look like I have touched the soap.

HolyRollah likes this.
  16. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

I'm interested in trying the Martin De Candre. Does anyone know of a place in the states to order this stuff online?

17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I would guess that the water hardness in your area would be the determining factor of how many swirls or how many seconds.

18. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

entropy1049 likes this.
  19. fram773

Yes. I still managed to achieve a good 8 swirls lather from MWF though (though I typically load it for more).

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  20. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

I've done it before and after I installed a water softener. It works both ways but obviously better with soft water.