May 2015 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic-Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Apr 29, 2015.

?

What is your razor type of choice for May?

Poll closed May 1, 2015.
  1. DE

66.7%
  2. SE or Injector

20.0%
  3. Traditional Straight

13.3%
  4. Kamisori/fixed or replaceable

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Shavette/barber razor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Carts/Disposables

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other/Not Listed (please post choice on thread if desired)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Seabs

Seabs Well-Known Member

So glad you're doing a focus this month. Learning so much on the straight experience!

2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

MAYhem & Mercy
    May 5, 2015
    Prep - Hot shower and towel
    Brush - Tweezerman Badger
    Soap - Williams (Hmmm.....maybe there is hope)Mug Shaving Soap
    Razor - Soyuz 1
    Blade - 7am-hi-platinum.jpg 7am2.jpg (1)
    Post - Alum, Nivea Replenishing Post Shave Balm

If I had to choose one shave as the worst I've ever had.....this is the one. First WTG stroke was all it took to get nicked. And the drag on this thing was horrid. Went ahead and finished the first pass and noticed a couple of things. First of all, extremely draggy, even sticky as it went across my face. The fact that I only got one nick was probably a miracle. I also noticed that when I changed edges the second edge was working a little better. Not much, but a little. I took a minute to examine the blade and I'm almost certain from its performance that, while it does have a bevel on both sides, they are not ground the same and, in fact, one side may not be fully sharpened. Debated what to do and threw caution to the wind and started the XTG using what felt like the "sharper" edge. Two strokes, two nicks. DONE!!! Grabbed my emergency exit razor, the Aristocrat with Voskhod and finished the shave. Alum was harsh where I had doubled up on the right side trying for the second pass, not too bad everywhere else.

As to the Williams issue...progress? I tried bowl lathering and got no real benefit other than letting the puck stay wet while I lathered and shaking it out before returning to reload from the puck. When I lathered for the second and even more on the third pass I started to get a better, slicker lather. Wet puck, drier brush....is it a clue? Going to work on that tomorrow. As for the blade and razor.....I will put the blade in the Rapira tomorrow and try it. The Soyuz does hold the blade slightly at an angle so maybe that will improve it. I doubt it, however, as the Zaza was at the same angle and worked better than this waste of steel. Bangladesh is not exactly known as a bastion of fine steel works. This blade seems to demonstrate why!

3. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

Prep- Hot shower, facial scrub
    Razor- Genco Henry XX
    Brush- Omega 48
    Soap- Caties Bubbles LPV
    Post- Pinaud Bayrum

It's been awhile since I've had time to shave but it finally came last night. It was about on par with my previous shave with the same issues. Again for some reason stretching my skin is a problem especially for something that should be very simple. Three passes which left me with an acceptable shave but nowhere near what I want to call acceptable at the end of the focus. It's been a hectic last week so I have some catching up to do on the forum. [​IMG]

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

What is the problem you are encountering?

5. trey06dmd

trey06dmd Arko eater

Aggressive Apri...errrr May? - Day 24 (5/5/15)

Prep: Hot shower
    Soap: Arko
    Brush: Omega 13522
    Razor: Cadet OC
    Blade: Sputnik
    Scent: Tommy Bahama Very Cool

Tried a quick 1 pass ATG shave this morning since my shave was so good yesterday. Decent shave but not great. I really can't go ATG 2 days in a row.

6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Late post for Monday...Day 4 - 30 Day rule with a Schick!

I had a crazy afternoon yesterday and had no time to post, but I got in another good shave. Will try and get caught up later!

7. Seabs

Seabs Well-Known Member

May 5 - shave 3
    Prep: Stirling Metha Preshave oil
    Soap: Col Conk Lime
    Straight: Started with Gemstar DFS Razor #214- blade AJ Jordan, 5/8, Double Hollow Grind, Spike point
    Straight: Finished Whipped Dog Sight Unseen Straight - Clover Brand, 5/8, Round
    DE Razor: Merkur Progress
    DE Blade: Wilkinson Sword (3)
    Post: Cold water, alum, Stirling after shave splash, Stirling post shave balm
    Growth 2 days

I started the shave with the Gemstar with a bit of trepidation since the arm hair test didn't pop off the hair as seen in @HolyRollah's post earlier in the thread. After one pass - sideburn to jawline, it was going to be a troublesome day with the straight. I quickly turned to the whipped dog clover to finish the straight effort - WTG and XTG - overall, it went through the whiskers much better. In my effort to learn to strop, I probably effected the edge a bit. I ended up with a BBS, but have a little irritation on neck a couple of nicks - hit the stupid chin. Gotta keep telling myself it's progress not perfection. Now to learn to hone (or send it out to @gssixgun for tune up :))

Additional notes from today's shave:
    1. I really like Col Conk soaps- today was Lime - makes nice, slick lather I melted into my Grumpy mug yesterday. Fitting since bad shaves can make me grumpy.
    2. I'm struggling to find a comfortable, confident grip when going ATG on my neck. Any suggestions are welcomed.
    3. So thankful to have my original DE - Merkur Progress there to clean up the ATG pass.
    4. BBS doesn't mean my face feels good.

rsz_2015-05-05_081255.jpg

rsz_2015-05-05_081255.jpg

jakie55, wristwatchb, Troy M and 5 others like this.
  8. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

It just doesn't seem like it makes a difference. I'm not sure how tight you can stretch your skin but it seems very minimal.

9. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

@Seabs- For me going ATG on the neck, I do either scales folded at a 90 degree angle with two fingers and my thumb on the tang, and my middle finger on the tail, or scales straight out, and first finger down the spine and holding the tang. When I quit focusing on how I was holding it so much, and just looked at how to get the blade to where I needed it, I had a lot more success.

@txskimo- do you use an Alum bar? Seabs mentioned a few days ago rubbing your fingertips on the alum bar before trying to strech your skin. I was skeptical, because streching hadn't done much for me while shaving, but that was a game changer. My fingers were able to hold rather than sliping in the soap.

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Just holding/pulling the skin taut is all that's required.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Bama Samurai

We don't go too hard on the rules! A strict rule is probably best for a new shaver...but reading your posts are good for new shavers too!

Beautiful restoration to boot!

I am basically using that technique with my injector...it makes it shave very efficiently and with few strokes needed.

12. Bama Samurai

I keep a towel folded on the edge of the basin to dry my fingertips for the purpose you describe...will try your alum trick!

Last edited: May 5, 2015
    Drygulch, Seabs, wristwatchb and 4 others like this.
  13. Bama Samurai

This man grew 15 days worth of beard on Monday. That may be the issue...;)

14. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

May 5

Stirling Sheep facial soap
    Weber PH
    Feather blade (day 2)
    Rudy Vey Shavemac two-band silvertip
    MdC scented shave soap
    Two passes
    Alum, Thayer's Lavender witch hazel, unrefined shea butter, and Nivea Sensitive Post-Shave Balm

I plan to eliminate the glycerin for the next few shaves to see if it makes a noticeable difference in the lather. The first photo shows a 30-second load to the brush, and the second photo shows the lather remaining after face lathering. It's nice and slick, but I like a bit more for successive passes. I'll try loading the brush longer (like it owes me money) and working it longer tomorrow. Bottom line, I had a great two-pass shave with enough lather remaining for the back of my neck.

Happy Tuesday!

SOTD_050515a.jpg

SOTD_050515b.jpg

Drygulch, jakie55, Seabs and 5 others like this.
  15. Bama Samurai

I think once you get the water/soap ratio figured out it's all gravy!

clint64 and wristwatchb like this.
  16. Bama Samurai

Congrats on achieving Mayhem...braver than I.

17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

You're working with a very dense knot but I think you might have loaded enough soap. As you face lather add a little water several times as you continue to face lather. Pretty sure Chris is on track that it's a water/soap ratio. I used MdC daily for March and once I had it dialed in I was able to reduce my load time down a lot. The only negative with MdC is the lack of post shave conditioning but I found a balm cures that problem. I'm sure you'll have it figured out shortly.

Drygulch, jakie55, txskimo and 2 others like this.
  18. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Brush Focus: Day 4
    Brush: Whipped Dog Sliver Tip 2, 24/65
    Gillette Super Speed, 1947 Birth Razor.
    Gillette Platinum Blade
    Bowl: KO Shave
    Soap: Jack's Soap
    AS: Clubman lime
    Old Spice Coffee Mug.

The Whipped Dog brush with marble handle (not much marble) in a fine brush. Has a very weak backbone (I believe this is the correct term) and it is better to use a painting motion. It does hold a lot of lather well and water. It is floppy to my touch, but does the job. Not my go to brush. I like the Clubman Lime A/S. Three passes and a clean up.
    FocusBrush 5 5 15.jpg

Last edited: May 5, 2015
    Drygulch, jakie55, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  19. wristwatchb

Thanks guys! I appreciate the feedback. I will keep the same brush-loading routine for now and experiment with the water/soap ratio. Just in the time required to set up and take photos, the lather on my face dried quite a bit. That also supports what you both are saying. I always use unrefined shea butter during my post-shave routine, so I'm good there. Thanks again, and I'll report on my progress tomorrow.

20. wristwatchb

I have used a few drops of glycerin in my lather for quite some time. It allows the lather to hold more water, and it generally provides more cushion. You can see it "go to work" immediately after it is added. A 6-ounce bottle costs less than $4 at the local drug store. Might be worth a try? I'm currently skipping the glycerin to understand the impact on the MdC lather. You really shouldn't have to "help out" such primo soap. :)

It has been fun, albeit somewhat scary, following your progress this month. :D

Drygulch, jakie55, NCoxSTL and 2 others like this.