May 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Apr 29, 2019.

?

What kind of MAYhem do you plan this year?

1. I'm new and just want to watch the rest of the idiots be idiots!

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. I'm a regular but I just want to watch the rest of the idiots be idiots!

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  3. I'm an idiot! I'm going to do stuff that will win a Shavey Award!

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. I'm only a sometimes idiot - so might be daring, might not.

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
  5. I'm going to get me some cookies, donuts, and ice cream to make it even more fun to watch idiots!

13 vote(s)
    34.2%
  6. I'm just gonna shave. And learn how to do it better. And enjoy it more. <Mic Drop>

18 vote(s)
    47.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I intend to continue training with my 'plastic doodad' Focus R21 shavette.

Believe it or not, a $20 tool that delivers fantasticly close and comfortable shaves.

I wish to learn how to shave those isolated areas 'blade forward' where, for me, the much maligned Focus R48 Dynamic SE razor still rules. That non plastic, 'plastic doodad' razor won't get much action because it's just too easy.

Even though I prefer blades renouned to be sharper, I'll go thru some more blades cause it is fun. Including......an uncoated industrial Accutec (the makers of Gem & Personna) double edge blade. And, if they work in the shavette I might throw in a few DE shaves as well as the Dynamic R48.

I'll be trying to get my honing game on with my straights too.

2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Mayhem Focus
    [​IMG]
    Vintage Williams~~Morris & Forndran Victorian I~~Boker~~Florida Water
    SR #71
    Happy May Day all!
    May is one of my favorite months. Spring is in full-swing and my lawn will NEVER look better.

Mayhem, as I stated previously, is what I do everyone I pick up a straight razor.
    With that said, I started this month following the theme, and except for the occasional DE
    shave,
    I plan on being a good lemming and sticking with Mayhem throughout the entire month.
    What a lather the vintage, bloomed, bombed Williams provided me. Unrivaled, exactly like the
    Boker...look closely.
    I am enjoying the M&F Victorian as well as any brush in my stable. Love the handle.
    The extra length is really comfortable; more so than the "chubby" style handles.
    The 24-25mm (not sure, don't own calipers) fan knot is not only super soft, with an
    abundance of backbone, but the fan shape provides YUGE (sic) coverage.
    To the Boker...this edge needs some work. It's sharp, but is lacking in the smoothness category.
    Three-ish passes resulted in the usual DFS/BBS shave. No blood=no complaints.
    Super-mentholated Florida water is still chilling me even as I type.
    Excellent start to the month.

AlDm, MR41, Paul76 and 19 others like this.
  3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

43A321A7-0BBD-46B8-86EF-D7CF9ABC48DE.jpeg

MAYhem 1 SOTD:

Razor: Hand
    Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless
    Brush: PAA The Green Ray
    Lather: PAA Sangre de Drago
    Aftershave: PAA Sangre de Drago
    Additional Care:
    Stirling Unscented PSB

I had a little extra time this morning, so I figured I would work a MAYhem shave in today. I went with my simplest razor, my two fingers to hold the blade. Definitely a little blade chatter as it moved across the face, but my right cheek went fairly smoothly. On to my right neck, and this is where things got a little more interesting/entertaining. I just could not get the blade to work in areas around my Adam's apple, and I have a few weepers to show for it. Nothing too bad, but a few nicks from the corners of the blade. I swapped my to my left hand for my left cheek, and once again pretty smooth. On my left neck, I used my right hand, and held the blade a bit differently, and was much better. My chin and mustache went without too much trouble. I did one pass, and ended with a CCS. All in all, I would call it a successful shave with a hand held razor blade. I hope everyone has a great day!

AlDm, FaceScraper, MR41 and 18 others like this.
  4. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Great picture, Joseph! I love some Florida Water on a spring day.

5. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Okay........ THAT IS JUST NUTS!

I vote you the winner.

Game over maaan!

6. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks, fellas!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

7. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Let the MAYhem begin!!!
    Great picture, Jim!

8. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I have been busy, but no way I could miss Mayhem! I’ll try and catch up on the thread later, but here’s my opening shave. All from fellow Shave Den members.
    277323C3-6FE9-471C-96D2-A5173D1059A4.jpeg

9. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

I yield sir!

10. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

So, y'all can't tell by the picture, but this was my 1st cold water shave. It wasn't bad using cold water. Not the worst, but not the best.
    Hope y'all have a great May! IMG_20190501_075419_254.jpg

AlDm, FaceScraper, MR41 and 17 others like this.
  11. Hembree

5/1/19

Omega 10049 Boar Shaving Brush
    Timeless Lathering Bowl
    Williams Mug Soap
    CVS SE Blade
    Kampfe Star Lather Catcher
    Nivea Post Balm
    Pinuad Clubman Classic

I don’t know if this one qualifies for a MAYhem shave but I was a little apprehensive about the lather catcher. It went from a bent-up mess to a decent looking razor with a homemade handle and a fabricated nylon blade shim.

The Williams was just thin this morning and I could not get it where I wanted it. I am sure it was the boar brush because I have the synthetic dialed in on the Williams.

The lather catcher really surprised me. It was not bad but it has a learning curve to it and I need more practice with. I would not want to use it as an every day razor but it is one to keep in the rotation.

I finished up and put the brush and bowl in the sink to start rinsing and applied some alum which was slightly warm. Rinsed the razor and then applied some Nivea and notice a few areas on my neck that needed some attention. With the razor disassembled and no Williams I grabbed the Cremo and the Rockwell 6C at plate 6 and finished up a few spots. Splashed some Clubman Classic on and was ready to take on the day.

Y’all take care and have a great hump day!
    20190430_184737.jpg 20190501_053240.jpg Screenshot_2019-04-30-08-28-39.png

SharptoothC, AlDm, MR41 and 18 others like this.
  12. Hembree

:lam:

13. Hembree

Great opening salvos guys!
    [​IMG]

AlDm, wristwatchb, Paul76 and 16 others like this.
  14. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Cool shave and photos, Danny!
    Thanks!

15. Hembree

Great shave I think. :shocked003: I am out of my league. I retreat to my corner and whimper like a little puppy dog with his tail between his legs.

16. Hembree

Adam..that razor is awesome! Great photo as well.

17. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

You guys are off to a flying start. Great pics and reports guys.

18. Hembree

Thank you!

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  19. Hembree

Thanks Patrick...the only way from here is up!

20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.