May 2020 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Apr 30, 2020.

?

What will you be "mixing up" in May?

1. Razors I rarely/never use

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Blades I rarely/never use

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Soaps I rarely/never use

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Brushes I rarely/never use

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. A combination of everything just thrown together like a salad!

15 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. Who said you could suggest a salad?! We eat cookies here!!!

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  7. Gonna PIF some stuff and try to win some PIF'd stuff to replace it!

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  8. I miss Chris's intros with only two questions. This is just ridiculous!! Sheesh!

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Wonder if it can be done ? Hmmmmm

clint64, timabababaluka, brit and 2 others like this.
  2. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Last month was Antique April and it meant that I would use vintage razors. This month is Modern May for me because I will only use non-vintage razors this time around. It will include my 6 modern straights, my 2 shavettes and my 6C, Model T and VDH TTO.

3. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Awesome idea. That will be fun to watch.

4. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Patrick is indeed the Master of MAYhem. I remember the year he first participated...we thought Adam @Drygulch had gone off the deep end. Hell, he hadn't even passed the 4 foot line when Patrick showed up.

5. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

One of the serrated steak knives maybe?

jluc, clint64, Trigger and 3 others like this.
  6. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

The pressure is on this year but I have a few ideas up my sleeve Neal. And Thank you for the kind words .

Keithmax, jluc, clint64 and 5 others like this.
  7. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

If its sharp enough....yes.

jluc, clint64, Trigger and 2 others like this.
  8. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

Must-Shave May for Me!

For May, I must use every item in my den in a shave: razors, brushes, blades, balms, AS, Menthol, and I've even got my poor styptic pencil that I have had for over 6 years in the mix. Most of you are saying: Tim, you madman! No one can eat 50 eggs shave with their entire arsenal in just one month; it just cannot be done. Well, behold the glory of my shave den...

20200430_205821-01.jpeg

not so crazy after all... :happy102:

I have ruthlessly paired down my den since January: 3 DE's, 2 shavettes, 3 Soaps, 4 AS, 2 brushes, 1 balm, some menthol, and an assortment of blades.

This focus also allows me to continue my 100 run on shavette shaves. Sundays I will use the DE's, and every other day I will focus on a new blade until they have all seen action. I will admit that the lone GEM blade is an item of concern--I PIF'd all my SE razors. I have a plan for this, but am not fully looking forward to its implementation just yet. It's probably a leisurely Sunday stroll for the likes of El Scratcho, but I lead a sheltered life, and it's got me... nervous.

Can't wait to see the awesome May ideas you all have lined up--always fun; always instructive; always a pleasure! :D

9. brit

brit in a box

cool May line up Tim..have fun..:)

9nein9, jluc, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  10. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

Nice Kit... what if someone did a low down thing like PIFd you something else?

wristwatchb, 9nein9, jluc and 4 others like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

:D

9nein9, jluc, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  12. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

I would squeeze it in and find something else to PIF through the revolving door--I've learned the 30DC's wiley ways and have planned ahead.

It's funny. I'm looking at my den photo, and most of the items there have been PIF'd to me from someone here. You all are an insanely generous group of folk. :D:happy102:

13. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Sure. If you send me that welded one your wife freaked out about, I’ll give it a go. :)

wristwatchb, Keithmax, 9nein9 and 6 others like this.
  14. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Quarantine day 40-something means:
    1. I will not be tied to one choice. There must be some variety in my life.
    2. This is not the time to end up in the hospital.

I am planning on an easy-going, safe, luxurious and varied month of shaves with zero rules applied apart from getting a good shave out of whatever combination strikes my fancy on a given day. The worst thing I might do is try some oddball scent combos that should not work together. Arko and Tabac combo, anyone?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

15. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Very busy gearing up for a working weekend. Didn’t have time to post or read along yesterday, today likely the same.

Wanted to check in about Sam though, and found your update. Nothing but positive thoughts and prayers for Sam’s recovery, Jeff, and for all the family worrying & waiting for the same.

Edison Carter, brit, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  16. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

In for Mix up May. It’s pretty much what happens in my shaving world anyway!

Always fun to see the software, hardware, and read along with everyone’s shaving & shenanigans, as well as further those along working towards a better shave!

17. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

9871D44E-E880-47CA-AEA6-5346A20550C4.jpeg 6A26A35F-7B0B-4FCF-9256-382D2E9C8E68.png A17527B2-6E1C-4059-B03A-4053EEA1BD52.png Thank you, Blair! He’s still with us as of this morning! Keep those prayers going! I’m going to kick off May with the toughest razor in my den, the French Spadson, originally designed to have a supposed normal side and an aggressive side, it actually has a hyper-aggressive side and a positively assaultive side! We’ll see how this shave goes!

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I’m in for Mix It Up May. I will go through some favorite razors as well as some that have not been used recently. I will continue to work on knocking out some soaps and creams.

wristwatchb, brit, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  19. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

C24922FA-81FE-4621-944A-5866BB4B4D97.jpeg B60B5013-E8E4-4F31-8731-247128328238.jpeg
    SOTD FRIDAY, MAY 1, 2020

To kick off May, I decided to go old school, since I fit the category. It’ll be a May Mayhem launch. I selected my French Spadson DE that dates from the late 20s to the early 30s. It was originally designed to supposedly have a mild side and an aggressive side. Frenchmen in those days must have had Kevlar beards, because the easiest way to characterize the two shave sides of this razor head for me is as insanely aggressive and positively assaultive.

In order to anesthetize my two shave surfaces - face and noggin - I selected one of the coldest menthol combinations in my den, Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite Soap and AS. I then added 3 drops of M-Bomb to the soap. In hindsight the M-Bomb was a bit much! But I was hoping for numbness to help deal with the potential bloodshed. El Scratcho (@9nein9) would be proud!

I selected my favorite Boar brush, the Omega Pro48 and soaked the tips in ice water, and set aside a bowl of ice water, totally influenced by my old FB friend, Joe (@JACarbone). I normally start every shave with a cold water rinse right out of the tap, but must admit that the ice water rinse was much more refreshing. Now the M-Bomb salted Snake Bite was close to my menthol limit, but the ice water lather felt great.

Everything seemed to be going swimmingly when I picked up the Spadson and loaded a Voskhod in the vain hope of mitigating future mishap. I thought I was using the insanely aggressive side of the head, but quickly discovered that it was the assaultive side as I experienced a set-down error by my right sideburn which my styptic put to rights. An auspicious beginning you ask?

Well I quickly flipped the head and very carefully rode the cap through the rest of that first WTG pass using very careful short strokes, with special attention devoted to my dome, and managed to complete it without further bloodshed. A check with the alum did reveal considerable heat around my usual trouble spots. That first pass did shear through my whiskers right down to the skin line.

In the interest of self preservation I confined the second pass to very careful WTG buffing around my problem areas and ended with a nick above my Adam’s Apple and three weepers on the back of the noggin that the Thayers dealt with. A check with the alum revealed a fair bit of irritation around the buffed areas leaving me with a shave hovering between CCS and DFS, pretty much what I expected. I feel a bit sore, somewhat smooth, but definitely very cool and content that I managed to keep the damage under control. Time to store this torture implement until Awkward August rolls around.

RAZOR: French Spadson DE
    BLADE: Voskhod
    PREP: Ice water rinse
    BRUSH: Omega Pro48 Boar
    SOAP: Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite
    POSTSHAVE: Ice water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH and Snake Bite AS Splash. Finished with Cremo Cooling Post Shave Balm

20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Fantastic shave report and photos Jeff.

brit, 9nein9, Trigger and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.