May 2021 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion. All are welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Primotenore, Apr 30, 2021.

?

What's your plan for "Mayhem" May?

1. I plan on shaving with a DE blade, duck taped to a popsicle stick.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I plan on shaving with a Bowie Knife.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I plan on shaving with a Stihl chain saw.

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. I plan on shaving with a rusty tin can lid.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I plan on NOT contracting tetanus.

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. I plan on eating many cookies.

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  7. I plan on, once again, ignoring stupid polls.

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Beautiful shave as your learning curve with the various razor plate continues.

Hembree, 9nein9, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  2. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Such a wonderful set up Pierpaolo.

3. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Very nice shave Troy.

Hembree, 9nein9, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  4. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Wonderful shave Clint. I hope the missus will enjoy the scent while you are doing your errands.

5. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Unfortunately the “make an offer” option is not available. I missed it last week as it closed around the time I was dealing with my father’s struggling battle with COVID. Anyway, perhaps a silver lining as I may not have entered the raffle for the Taylor Eyewitness 1000 using my father’s hospital room number as the three number I used to select.

interesting story regarding your bid on the house.

brit, jtspartan, Hembree and 6 others like this.
  6. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Thank you Joe. You as well.

7. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

:signs001:

8. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks, Joe!
    My only accomplishments so far today is a shower and shave.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

jtspartan, Hembree, 9nein9 and 4 others like this.
  9. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Overtime Windfall

I have bought my share of new modern manufacture straights this year with overtime earnings and it is only May. I gotta stop this stuff.

Being the pearl tang enthusiast, I really wanted one of these Böker 6/8 extra hollow jobs, so I bought it. Paired the shave up with a recently acquired Simpsons Emperor 3 (another OT windfall) and Stirling for Him soap and aftershave from the top of the ranks on The Max Headroom List of Most Glorious Stanks.

Great shave other than the ‘stabby point’ mark on my cheek. As the Mrs and I headed out for our weekly grocery errands, she put her finger on it and gave me that smirky look and eyebrow thing (she is just plain mean at times, but still I love her). This razor has a rather short reach with a shorter blade, so I’m gonna take that point down a bit soon.

This is my first Böker so I decided to take it with a factory edge. I’ve never really understood the big deal on the ‘shave ready’ stuff. I’ve always thought that all shave tools will dull anyhow and the owner should accept the responsibility that it is up to him to deal with the sharpness as he sees fit.

I honed it up using my usual unapproved, unauthorized, and illegal methods that no one should ever try at home.

My initial examination revealed that in spite of the obvious beauty of this piece, it possesses the same manufacturing defects found in hand made shaving gear from century(+) old European razor makers still trying to compete with the Modern Chinese.

Odd that they can precision fit mother of pearl in the tang, but can’t even extra hollow grind metal to a few of thousands of an inch perfectly straight. As a lover or thin grinds, I do find it an acceptable trade though.

I did the sharpie thing on the edge to see where I was hitting first. Very odd that I was hitting on the edge side of the bevel first. I hope nobody is going to try and tell me Böker is using more illegal stuff than I am instead of the authorized gear. Didn’t take much time or need much metal takeoff. Spec’d to be 1.2210 carbon steel at 59HRC, very common and not difficult to work with.

Very happy with the acquisitions, and end results, uh except that stabby point thing.

[​IMG]

brit, Keithmax, jtspartan and 13 others like this.
  10. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Congrats on the new goodies, Bill! Overtime provided the bulk of my collection.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Hembree, 9nein9, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  11. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

12 hour days.......no wonder you need that underground mountain razor vault.
    ;)
    Also no wonder you retired.

I don’t want more than 8hrs OT a week. I’ll probably stay busy till I’m ready to go.

The way things have become, I couldn’t recommend young folks to pursue my trade.

I’d hate to have to train a greenhorn nowadays too. They have to learn.
    • how it is supposed to be done
    • how you have to do it
    • what you say is the way you do it

..............and why :confused:

Keithmax, jtspartan, Hembree and 8 others like this.
  12. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Bravo Bill on the new acquisition. I am sure you will get it the way you like. Regarding SWMBO’s look, I say TFB. Your face, your hobby, your pleasure.

13. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Wielding a Weck's sextoblade is not an easy feat Mike! Great shave!

Hembree, 9nein9 and clint64 like this.
  14. deepsea

deepsea Well-Known Member

Hello all. I’m still working through my samples and such. MDC soap sample is finished as is Southern Witchcrafts. Next will be a shave or 2 with what’s left of B&M Vespers. On the AS front SV 70th was just finished today and on to Stella Alpina. The lady couple of days were utility shaves without much throughly. It’s been a rough week as a friend/mentor passed on Tuesday due to an accident while working on his house. It’s a hard one to shake.
    Today’s shave was great though.

Vector w/ proline
    Greydog Badger
    Maggard Lime and Bergamot
    SV 70th AS and EDP

0C7578E3-530E-489C-AB14-E99C34BFBF25.jpeg

brit, Keithmax, jtspartan and 13 others like this.
  15. Trigger

May 8 SOTD

Hi guys! It's Artie's first video showing.

This one is for you Patrick @9nein9!

Straight Razor Shave #268
    13/8 ArtRazor 1000 Half Hollow Sq. Pt
    MrEE LE #10 Brush
    Stirling LE Blood on Steel 2019 SS and AS
    Dickinson's WH
    20210508_113435.jpg

Unfortunately, I had to make 2 videos because there was a technical problem. The second video is just over 3 minutes long and it is a continuation to do the final 1/2 pass that finishes my shave.
    So here they are:

Part One: Video for 2 passes

Part 2 Finishing the shave with the inverted 1/2 pass.

Enjoy guys!

brit, Keithmax, jtspartan and 11 others like this.
  16. Trigger

I am glad you got the razor you have wanted Bill. Great shave and setup.

9nein9, Hembree, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  17. Trigger

I am sorry that you lost your friend John. Praying for you at this time.

9nein9, Hembree, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  18. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

My condolences to you and all those affected by the loss of your friend and mentor.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

19. myles wilson

myles wilson Moth Ball Mouth

I gotta correct my self. The vinyl I showed yesterday I got in was actually a 33 1/2 RPM record. These 2 Bobby Vinton records that came in today are 45 RPMs. These vinyls are 1962 editions. Sound quality is great on these as well. Been staying in my room the past few days. I was due for another one and yet here it is again my typical season cold. This one hit me like a ton of bricks so I’m I’m listening to these while I recuperate.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brit, jtspartan, Hembree and 6 others like this.
  20. myles wilson

myles wilson Moth Ball Mouth

Thank you Blair!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.