May 2022 30 Day Rule/Focus and Discussion. All Are Welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Trigger, Apr 30, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Fabulous shave kit, Daniel! Glad your shave went well, despite the initial overwatering! You’ve peaked this old boozer’s interest with Sima. I’ve enjoyed traditional English Mead, but never had Sima! You’ve got to share the recipe! I’d like to try it!

2. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Very nice shave Daniel! I also appreciate that you introduce your cultural items that most of us would not have experienced.

JACarbone, jgreenepa, brit and 2 others like this.
  3. MrDaniel's

MrDaniel's Well-Known Member

Thanks, Jeff!

https://www.thespruceeats.com/finnish-spring-mead-sima-2952646

I found a recipe that is very close to what I did. What I did differently is that I boiled only half the water, poured that over the mixture, stirred so that the sugar melts, and added the rest of the water cold. Less time to wait for it to cool down. Also that recipe recommends to seal the bottles tightly. If you do so, keep an eye on them, because the pressure will build up in the bottles.. I closed the bottles just enough that some of the pressure could release.

It will be very low alcohol, it's impossible to get a buzz with sima. Unless you decide to make it stronger.

E.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilju
    This also exists. It can be awful though, but I've tried a well made one too.

Last edited: May 1, 2022
  4. MrDaniel's

MrDaniel's Well-Known Member

Thanks, Joe! It's nice to share.

5. palmolive fox

palmolive fox The British Birdman

I had not long joined TSD, and yes i recall seeing some of Jason (@jtspartan ) postings....I haven't used the Perma-sharp for some time, and reminded myself to compare them with the feather hi Stainless, which are almost near the same in efficiency & smoothness...I'll be doing a SE shave week, commencing 7th May..Starting it off with my new favourite head-shaving tool the Supply V2.

My green tea tipple was wonderful this morning...Have a great Sunday as well & a great safe coming week my Yankee Doodle Dandy friend.:happy088:

Last edited: May 1, 2022
  6. palmolive fox

:signs001: Daniel.

7. palmolive fox

:signs001: Joe...Have a Super Sunday as well my friend.:happy088:

8. brit

brit in a box

.thank you Jeff.absolutely great shave this morning.:):eatdrink047:.if only i learned about this type of shaving in my 30s instead of my 50s.:)

9. brit

brit in a box

thank you Daniel.:):eatdrink047:

10. brit

brit in a box

fine shave and pics Daniel.:):eatdrink047:

11. Trigger

Don't fret Gary. I came late to this party at age 63.

12. brit

brit in a box

thank you Joe.it was fabulous.the old spice invoked many memories,but glad i don't own a turtleneck sweater..:D:eatdrink047:
    hqdefault.jpg

13. brit

brit in a box

true enough..:):eatdrink047:.and the leaps and bounds you have made.:)

14. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I posted in the wrong place this morning! Not thinking....Well, I started off on the right foot then with my blending of soaps. I havve seen other speak of doing this here so, I tried it and liked it. I am not sure how I will do this month. I still have plenty of blades and combos to try out. I seem to have re-perfected my technique (it's like riding a bicycle). Maybe I will use one of the 3 new razors I have coming this week with one being a Feather Artist Club clone that Jeff is letting me try out. (Thx, Jeff!)

(REPOSTED in proper thread)

I tried something different today with my soap. I blended a dab of lavender into the Col. Conk "Amber" soap. I first put some hot water on top of my Amber to bloom it. Washed face with HOT cloth. Applied TOBS Herbal Pre-Shave Gel. Poured water off the Amber soap into my mug to save for later face wash. I whisked the brush over my lather bowl and then added a small dab of the Castle Forbes Lavender cream. Whisked some of the best cream I have whipped up so far! RICH FOAMY LATHER. Brush was my Classic Shaving synthetic brush.

Razor of choice was my Parker 87R with a Parker blades second use. I can really feel the blade with this razor. It is one of the more aggressive razors I have and one of my favorites. The Parker blades really do complement this razor. Excellent blade feel!

Alum block conditions the face. Almost no feedback from the alum. No cut's, nicks, or burn!

Finished off with a face wash using the bloom water and then Proraso after-shave balm.

I really liked this blend! REALLY rich lather. Thick. Made for a very slippery mix that gave me a very close comfy 3-pass shave.

DSCN5883.JPG

15. Trigger

Thanks. :)

jgreenepa, MrDaniel's and brit like this.
  16. Trigger

Hogie, anything that's shaving related can be posted here. Sometimes, we post info that's not shaving related and that's OK too as long as the disclaimers of this thread are followed.

17. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Okay, I have deleted the post

18. brit

brit in a box

awesome shave and pics Gary.i have a jar or 3 with blended soaps and creams.mostly for experiment with performance and to condense half used tubes/sticks/pucks as i have way too much to use only one at a time..;).welcome to the super lathers club..:cool::eatdrink047:

19. Trigger

You could have kept the post on your motorcycle exploits. I think you misunderstood my post.

20. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

No, I really should not have posted it here....I saw that the part of this site where such posts belong is rarely visited. Posts there are old. I will stick to posts about the shave. No problem. This is a shaving forum, afterall! (My bad)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.