May 2022 30 Day Rule/Focus and Discussion. All Are Welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Trigger, Apr 30, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I am amazed at how THICK and RICH the lather was with this blend! VERY pleasant shaving with it.;)

JACarbone, jgreenepa, Trigger and 2 others like this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

As I said before, I'd love to install the SHULTON Old Spice jingle into my alarm clock. Would be lovely to arise to.

3. Paul Turner

Hi Daniel.....I'd love to get the ORIGINAL Aqua Velva, but the current one is quite all right.

4. brit

brit in a box

well good morning gents.after this mornings fine shave i have decided to spend a few days doing a menthol mixer May theme.i have a few frankensoaps that need the dust removed and are really outstanding in performance,scents aren't bad either..;).most are infused with menthol crystals also,just for that cooling punch.my trusty weapon of choice for this week will be my new/tech hybrid,nacet blade,and various brushes..:):eatdrink047:.for monday.

gillette new/tech hybrid-french tech handle
    nacet
    simpson synthetic
    frankencream-leah,pacific,proraso red
    twisted thayers lemon

20220501_074627_edited.jpg

have a great sunday everyone,
    :eatdrink047:

5. brit

brit in a box

do you have a cell phone Paul?.i am sure it could be found and installed on it's alarm settings..;):eatdrink047:

6. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

That's a cool twist Gary.

7. brit

brit in a box

thank you Joe.should be some cool shaves,both cream and splash are mentholated,and work friendly.:):eatdrink047:

8. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I don't have any soaps or creams that are menthol. I am not a big fan of it but, I do have some Proraso Blue that cools my face! Maybe I could use that all month under different soaps/creams to see how it interacts with their scents. I want to keep up my rotation of razors/blades combos. So many to try out!:bounce017::transport016:

9. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

9AEA3A09-0AA2-426F-8743-78787123FBC1.jpeg
    SOTD SUNDAY MORNING, MAY 1, 2022

Just a great shave for the first day of May. The Genco 35 5/8 was the first straight razor I ever acquired after 5 years of Dovo Special ownership. I traded a couple of beat up Gillette old types to one of my former hunting buddies for it. It was his grandfather’s. It had been well maintained as the sole straight razor in his knife collection, but never used. I learned one basic lesson from this razor. There's a reason new straight shavers are encouraged to start with a round Dutch point.

The racing stripe I experienced on my first down stroke taught me to routinely blunt the blade tip on my square points. Of course, my technique has greatly improved since those days, and I suppose I could get away with no longer doing so, but my Parkinson’s coupled with the women in my family looking for any excuse to pry this old man away from his few remaining pleasures argues otherwise. In any case two and a half mug passes left me oh-so-smooth!

I own many vintage and a few modern artisan safety razors, but as time has passed find myself shaving with mostly my vintage ones. Many in this hobby collect widely produced Gillette or Schick models, at least when getting started. I did as well, but being more of a user than a collector, never worried too much about cased models. Do I have a few? Of course, but most of my safety razors are uncased. One of my absolute favorite vintage SE’s is the Mk1 Bakelite handled G.E. Jones Shake Sharp.

Shake Sharp razors were initially developed at the end of 1930’s to provide the thrifty souls of that era with a tool that would dramatically extend the blade life of the carbon steel DE blades then prevalent. However, WWII delayed their introduction until the mid 1940’s. There are three models, the original Bakelite handle, and two cased metal handles - one gold and the other nickel plated. Both Bakelite and metal handles shine with two stacked DE blades.

And no, I’m not senile yet! I did describe these razors as SE’s. They are quite unique in that this is the only SE that I’m aware of that was designed to use DE blades. Since one only uses one edge at a time, the benefits are obvious, but really only for single blades, and not for stacked doubles. But at this point in my life I don’t really worry about economy. All I know is that Shake Sharps are my best noggin shavers followed closely by my Speed Shavers. Two ATG passes left me glassine smooth from noggin to neck.

RAZOR: Genco 35 5/8 (Mug), Shake Sharp Mk1 (Dome)
    BLADE: 2 Stacked Feather DE
    PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a heavy scrub with Argan Oil
    BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T400 Rubberset Homage w/ 26mm Silvertip Badger Ferrule
    SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys WH. Finished with Chiseled Face Natural AS Splash.

10. brit

brit in a box

very cool.proraso blue is excellent stuff.:cool:

jgreenepa, Hogie and Trigger like this.
  11. Paul Turner

Back again for another month...course this one begins with my birthday, and I had a fine birthday shave (I'll list it in a different post). One thing I miss about Mayhem is the daughters of @BaylorGator , helping their old man with his presentations(and sometimes we'd hear the girls themselves). Hope they're doing fine. @Trigger is right, the warm weather is coming! I'm still moving my warm-weather shave paraphernalia to the front of my "den". Tough project!! With the presence of two unscented soaps, I hope to be able to do more soap shaves. this spring/summer. Here's to another month of fun, good chat, and great shaves!!

JACarbone, jgreenepa, brit and 3 others like this.
  12. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

That works!

13. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I too purchase my razors to use. I have no vintage cased models of any razor. I have some cased new ones! LOL Also a couple new ones I may never use again. It's an adventure of sorts looking for my perfect razor. I have found several that I really like. I do not know what happened to my grandpa's razors. I should ask my older cousin. He collects a lot of the old family relics. He has grandpa's pocket watches. He sports a fulltime beard so, maybe I can sweet talk them from him if he has them. Grandpa did use a straight razor too.

14. Paul Turner

Worth asking about Gary, yes I do....actually it's a different one now than before. Thanks!!

15. brit

brit in a box

awesome start to may Jeff.very cool.my intent is to have a few of my favorites to use for the rest of my days also.many razors and sets have been passed along as it can get quite overwhelming keeping all of them.while i still have a few to go i have moved along over 60+ razors/sets to date.most to my close friend who will lend me one if the urge arises..;):eatdrink047:

16. jgreenepa

Thanks!

17. MrDaniel's

MrDaniel's Well-Known Member

Happy birthday!

18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

As I've posted recently I've reached the point in my shaving life that I'm more content using the Shake Sharp daily than constantly rotating less satisfying razors.

You mention a late 30s development -- Is there something predating Friel's Jan1943 patent application? That's the earliest I know about.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

19. brit

brit in a box

look for a custom ringtone app on your phone and put "old spice jingle" in the search box.or ask a knowledgeable friend to help you,all phones are different so may be different procedures..then add it to your alarm settings.make sure you crank up the volume as so your neighbors can benefit as well.:D:eatdrink047:.and happy birthday..:greet002::greet002::bounce017::bounce017:

20. jgreenepa

Castle Forbes Lavender and their Lime are two of my favorite shaving creams, the other being Nancy Boy Signature. Great shave, Photo and commentary.

JACarbone, Trigger, Hogie and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.