MdC, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by DDuckyMark, Mar 12, 2016.

1. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I've become interested in this soap but I can't find it for any cheaper then $57.58 US and, I had to flip back and forth to a translator since google translate didn't touch the drop down menus. That seems rather steep for a soap. Is it really that much better than other soaps? Where do you guys who use it order it? Is it possible to try without killing my wallet? Then scent descriptions sound good, what are your favorites. And lastly, How long will a puck last? Is it super long lasting like Tabac or is it softer and quicker to be used up?

Bobcat and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

I imagine there's a reason its regarded as the best vegan soap one can buy... I have never had the pleasure of using it but want to ASAP. If you have the extra money go-ahead and grab it. If you don't like it you can PIF it lol...

3. DDuckyMark

If I get it I still want to know if anyone has any "secret deal" website that I can save some money on. Seems pointless to spend more on it if I don't have to.

4. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Watch the B/S/T on all different forums and you'll see it sometimes for a good price. Or just bite the bullet and try it.

PickledNorthern and Bobcat like this.
  5. DDuckyMark

I'm hesitant to spend that much on a soap. The smaller jars are cheaper but 50g for $42.79 isn't that much cheaper than 200g for $57.58. I think I'm buying time to think and also getting opinions on it at the same time. I will probably end up with a jar but then the decision is fern, scented, unscented. I've seen it much more on the ''What straight razor did you use today'' thread then anywhere else. Since I use a straight pretty often Thats a huge plus in favor of me getting it. It couldn't be that bad if @entropy1049 has as many jars of it as I've seen in his posts.

entropy1049 likes this.
  6. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

start with saponificio varesino.....held in the same regards as MdC and A LOT cheaper...I say if you do, go with the 70th anniversary.

7. DDuckyMark

After shipping the 70th Anniversary isn't much cheaper but the fern is only $27.95 shipped. I might try it instead. I may have to sleep on this a few nights.

8. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5¢

The only US vendor I know of is www.oldtownshaving.com
    The price is close to what you found on the French website. Oldtown Shaving's review is that it's overrated. They recommend ABC or Xpec instead. Both of those are equally costly however.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I believe MdC is worth the price, ive had my jar for sometime and I'm finally making a dent in it. The quality of the soap is legendary. Many try to duplicate it. I bought my MdC at Old Town Shaving, fantastic customer service.

Primotenore, Papa Roy and entropy1049 like this.
  10. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

It excels in slickness and post shave conditioning. My face can be very dry in the winter and when I use MdC I can get away with an alcohol splash alone, no additional moisturizer necessary.

I do have one unopened jar of unscented laying around. PM if you're interested, it will ease the pain of shipping costs.

11. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I sold the jar I bought. It irritated my skin. It was one of the scented varieties, but I don't remember which one. I think it's good stuff; I don't think it's worth my dollars though. I mean, c'mon man, we're talking about soap here. Soap.

12. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

I am firmly in the worth it camp. It is 200g which is more than most soaps, it takes seconds to create amazing lather. They claim one jar lasts a year of daily shaves and I think they are close to accurate depending on your loading habits.

Buy some soap or two jars from France to save on shipping. My wife loves their products.

13. KLF

KLF Doctorin

I'm at my second jar, fougere scent. It lasts quite a bit, excellent quality. I have a lot of artisan soaps some very very good but for now MdC is still the best,for me. It's not hard soap like Tabac but you need only a little to make tons of lather, I always end up with more lather than intended.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    Robyflexx likes this.
  14. DDuckyMark

Sounds like great stuff for most people. I've been reading that the unscented still has a woodsy scent, does that sound accurate?

15. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

In my opinion its not worth it. I have tried tons of soaps. High end and low end and to be honest i dont see much difference.

Also i have NEVER found a vegan soap to be as good as a tallow based soap. There are some very good ones but ill take tallow all day.

But if you can afford it and you want it then i say go for it.

178-bplatoon and Chaddy187 like this.
  16. Lfs70

Lfs70 Member

It loads and lathers easily, has a very nice scent and will last a long time but it dries my face out badly.
    Almost worth the price paid, for me.

17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Yes.

I have several tubs of both the Fourgére and original scent. Superb,
    constant performance. Some folks dont care for the unique herbal scent, particularly the fougére, but I enjoy both. They also have an unscented version.
    Would i buy it again? yes. But I'm in no hurry as the jars last FORVER!

Easily in my top three of shaving soap
    Deja vú! MdC: Worth the $$

ARGH likes this.
  18. Papa Roy

Papa Roy Active Member

Well worth the price.

19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Put me in the camp of well worth it. I have both the Fougere and Original scents. Both are very good scents with the Fougere being fresh and the Original having a lavender medicinal scent. The soap is super easy to lather and seems to last forever. The soap is so easy to lather that I feel many do not properly hydrate the soap as they lather. When hydrated properly, I find it to be more than slick enough. Unlike others, I do not think it excels at post shave feel. I find it to just leave my face feeling fresh and clean with no residue at all. Is it the best soap ever? I won't say that but it will be one I always have. The fact that it last so long helps to offset the costs somewhat. Like mentioned earlier, check the BST threads on forums and you will find it for sale often.

The best retail prices I have found were from Martin de Candre.

Bobcat and ARGH like this.
  20. Alejandro S

Alejandro S Active Member

I'll buy again if I ever make it through the two jars I have. I prefer the foguere scent, but the original is great too.

Worth it to me!

Bobcat and clint64 like this.