MdC, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by DDuckyMark, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Had the Brain Bowl (Lavender) Used it everyday for a month then PIF'd it. I still have a jar of the Fougère. Excellent soap. Unique and IMO worth it.

SRNewb, Bobcat and clint64 like this.
  2. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Yes.............may never finish this jar. 25 shaves so far. Hardly a dent

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    Paul Turner and KLF like this.
  3. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

There are a lot of soap makers that have tried to replicate the MDC recipe, this may help with the cost. Plus you could have several different soaps, rather than 1 big 200g jar. Variety is the spice of life IMO.

theFAT98 likes this.
  4. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Absolutely worth it IMO. I have the Brain Bowl of Fougere and a jar of the Lavender. MDC lathers easy, smells great, with good moisturizing, and lasts a long time.

5. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I will probably plunge into an order once I have enough of the little barely theres in my cabinet used up. I need to at least look like I'm low before I drop that much money on a soap. I'm more interested in the scented ones more then the unscented. @entropy1049 I appreciate the offer but I'm not a fan of unscented anything. As soon as I'm done demoing Artist club blades for my CJB I'll most likely make an order. That should take 8 to 16 weeks depending on blade longevity.

Thank you all for your opinions and descriptions.

Halvor and entropy1049 like this.
  6. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

With the exchange pretty good, be sure to check getting it from MdC.

entropy1049, dbersh and clint64 like this.
  7. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

I ordered the 200gr. Fougere and the butterdish with scented soap (I thought it was cute), last year. It's not really important, but they really took care putting the package together and there was a soap bar sample included that filled my living room with fougere scent as i opened the box.
    I would order again, but I probably wont have to :)

clint64 likes this.
  8. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that the shipping rate is basically the same whether you order one 200g jar or six. Good reason to buy in bulk.

Paul Turner and clint64 like this.
  9. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

Maybe be worth it to get in on a group buy. Flat rate boxes in soap size are pretty cheap.

entropy1049 likes this.
  10. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

I've only tried a sample (from shavedash) of the fougere. And I'm going to get the full product. Best soap I have ever tried!

11. Gabe

Gabe Well-Known Member

I believe its worth it. I prefer the Fougere to the Lavender but that just personal preference. The usual thing about MdC is the price. If you attach $20 shipping to any soap, it would make that soap expensive. That being said, the jar (not including soap) is very very heavy. That's what amounts to the $20 shipping. The best way to ship CONUS would be Flat Rate box. Still $20 shipped international isn't bad.

At current exchange rate MdC costs $47 plus shipping for 200 gram jar. That puts it at $23.50 for 100 grams. I believe that is very comparable to other premium soaps. MdC is hard and lasts a very long time. It is very easy to overload MdC. With a Plisson synthetic, it literally takes me 15 swirls (5-6 seconds) to get enough soap for 3 passes.

There is no discount retailer. Its either Old Town Shaving or direct from MdC in France. The current exchange rate is very favorable to the USD. There are a lot of good deals when purchasing overseas.

12. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

This is super long lasting soap and provides the best lather I have ever achieved. I did a 30-day rule a few months back, using only MDC. As I recall, I used such a small amount that I calculated the jar would last me almost 2 years. The longevity of the product definitely makes it a bargain.

I would buy direct from MDC again because they threw in a couple of free body soap samples and shipping was quicker than I had hoped for.

P.S. If I ever run out I will buy again.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    clint64 likes this.
  13. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Really dude?

14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I'm just not sure of what you're implying.
    The cost of this soap being beyond the means of some shavers ,perhaps, or that they'd prefer to spend their shaving dollar elsewhere.
    $60 for $200 that yields over a year's worth of daily quality shaves seems a small price to pay, for some.

15. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Ok so u understood what I wrote then, then why you typed ??? That's what I don't understand. Yes in my opinion with proper shopping u can stack up 12 variety of soaps that will last way longer than 2 years. Did you got offended because I used sarcasm/joke in my post?

16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

This is true for most any consumable product (i.e. Pay less for certain items and purchase more for the same price of a costlier item). $15 for a Gillette tech or $75 for a Gillette Model 195. Both will shave just fine. Some others may prefer to pay a little more for what they feel is a quality product with no regrets. Plenty of soap choices out there to spend as much or as little as possible.

:signs011:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2016
  17. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

I agree some people are more into soaps so they would not mind spending more on them, I'm more into razors itself and I guess I look more into putting the money towards them, if I knew people would take the sarcasm in a wrong way I wouldn't of typed anything at all. Anyways I don't see nothing wrong shelling money on soaps too, I have 2 creams Palmolive, 2 sticks Palmolive, 4 creams of Nivea, 2 creams of Old Spice, 3 Arko sticks, 3 Derby sticks, 7 Lavender creams... Just I'm more inclined of spending and getting variety to play with so I can test as many different stuff as possible.

18. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

Before you spend that kind of money on a soap I would suggest you try this stuff the best soap I've ever used...La Savonniere du Moulin donkey milk shaving soap. This soap is incredible. It has a masculine cologne type smell it loads easy builds tons of creamy thick lather is slick and cushiony it really doesn't get any better.

KLF likes this.
  19. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

I swear when I read the donkey milk part I thought you were throwing a curved ball LOL

20. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

I have SdM as well and actually find MdC superior in two ways. First, MdC lathers up in no time while I really have to work to get SdM to the same level. Second, SdM has a dry quality to it, as if being based on milk powder, and it also leaves my skin drier than MdC. Both are great soaps, though, and the differences cited here are more or less nitpicking.
    - But that's why we're here, isn't it? ;)