MdC, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by DDuckyMark, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Ronin

Ronin New Member

In my experience I find quite a few vegan soaps that performs better for me, ABC I find to be the best performing soap for me including tallow based , you can get it for less than $45 shipped, also klar seifen, Tabula Rasa, I Coloniani , SdM, Saponificio Varesino, Baume.Be which are all vegan soaps for under $30 are some of the slickest soaps have tried and find it better for me to MdC, YMMV

2. Bula

Bula New Member

I have a jar of the original and it is good stuff. Worth the money? It depends I guess. Mine rarely makes it in the rotation. I really like Cella, and La Toja, and Omega in the tub. I could probably buy 2 of each for the price of a single MDC jar. I was really on the fence between Regular or the Fougere, after buying the reguar, I'm not curious enough to buy another jar. For me it was the darned curiosity factor! If your posting the question, I say you go for it.

3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

'Worth' is different for each person. How do you put a value on the scent? Water also impacts the performance of soaps so your local water also changes the performance.

Is it my best soap? No but it is a high quality soap, the only soap that lathers easier for me is Arko. It is slick but not the slickest, it leaves my face a little dry. That said I enjoy and will keep in my den, plus it does last s long time.

If you want something similar try Caties Bubbles. If you want to investigate another big $ soap look at Santa Maria Novella. It is similar in price, last a long time and I find it slicker with a good post shave feel.

If you are looking for just pure value there is Arko and many other soaps out there. How does one compare the value of art versus a poster?

Try to get a a sample, if you love go for it.

Robyflexx and clint64 like this.
  4. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

5. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

About two months ago I purchased MdC Fougere....I am hooked. I have a hard time pulling any other soap off the shelf when I go to shave. The performance is unparalleled and the scent if just spectacular. After 40+ uses, you can barely tell that the jar has been used. I would say it is actually cheaper per use than most soaps because a jar will last years. It took me a while to convince myself to purchase MdC...now I will never go without it! Try it...it's a must have for any serious wet shaver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boojum1 and clint64 like this.
  6. JazzySilverTip

JazzySilverTip New Member

Gosh...that's such a subjective question. :(

It really depends on who you ask--but more importantly, what matters most to you. Some guys will argue it's the pinnacle of shaving soaps and that, if you're a serious wet shaver, it's a must have in your rotation/den. Personally, I've bought and resold 3 jars (both original and Fougere) of it because it holds its value. But at the end of the day I really didn't find that it excelled more than many of the artisanal soaps on the market today to justify keeping it and using it maybe once every couple months. Is it a great soap? Absolutely. Does it last? Without question. Is it worth 2-3x (even 4x) the price of comparable soaps? Meh...I just can't get (or stay) on board that wagon.

I'll say this: if you do buy it and decide it's not worth the $$, someone will take it off you hands and you'll only be out a few bucks. *shrug*

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    clint64 likes this.
  7. Tras Krom

Tras Krom Well-Known Member

It definitely worth it. Excellent soap.

MdC fougere

[​IMG]

ob1page, Derhey and clint64 like this.
  8. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

At times like these discussing things like this, one way of looking at it is, " well, it costs twice as much is it twice as slick? Does it lather twice as easily and twice as much? Do my whiskers come off twice as easily?" Well, no. But it is top notch in all those aspects and it does cost more and if you can afford it, if the dent it makes in your pocket is of no consequence the yes, it's worth it. Sometimes you are so well off that you don't care if something that costs twice as much is only half again better. The fact that it's better ( and sometimes the fact that the higher cost gives it an exclusivity and you're willing and can pay the price to be included.......it's not all relative.
    More often though it's subjective and what that scent, what that better, whatever amount that better is, is worth to you. The more money you have, the less significant that dent it makes is to you, the more it's worth it to you.......capisci?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    JazzySilverTip and George X like this.