Medieval knight in shining armor sterling silver shaving brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by bladeshark, Jun 15, 2017.

1. bladeshark

bladeshark Well-Known Member

That's a really good suggestion! Thanks Mike.

2. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I feel it is just meant to be admired. If you want to use it, I would recommend changing out the knot for something better.

bladeshark likes this.
  3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Far out man!

bladeshark likes this.
  4. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Great story!

bladeshark likes this.
  5. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Beat me to it! I was also thinking Antique Roadshow.

bladeshark likes this.
  6. bladeshark

BamaT likes this.
  7. bladeshark

I used the brush for this morning's shave. I'm not a germaphobe but I did give it two thorough washings before use just to be on the safe side.

When applying the lather I noticed it had a "gamey" smell like a new badger brush gets. Opposite of a pleasant aroma. I'm wondering if it was actually it's maiden voyage. The brush did it's job fine. A little scritchier than I would have thought for a badger, but nice nonetheless. Easy to hold and work with. With it wet it went back into the holder pretty easy since the hair was all bunched together. We'll see how it looks when it dries. I'm sure it will be fine.

I don't plan on using it again. I'm glad I did, mind you, but I don't want to put it in the rotation. It was ok but not so outstanding I would rush to do it again.

8. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Were you able to set it into the stand bristle up?
    Most have a flat surface on the bottom to set it down on while full of lather, i thought from the pics you could set it in the stand upside down.
    Still very cool set, i have gotten vintage brushes that we're never used, they all smelled of wet dog(badger anyway), some of the boars were worse (maybe wet dog rolled in old pork rinds)

bladeshark likes this.
  9. bladeshark

Yep, it stands nicely in the stand bristles up. You can actually rotate it fully around once the side pins are sitting in their respective grooves.

10. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Can you post a pic of the little guy hiding on the inside of the stand?

bladeshark likes this.
  11. bladeshark

I wondered what you meant by that. I don't see a little dude on the inside of the stand. I went back to the original pictures and I assume you mean this:

Squire.jpg

Creepy. I think it was just a trick of the light at a certain angle.

12. bladeshark

For those who remember my little story of this brush... I have an update. I now know it's story and age. It's a sterling silver copy of a one-of-a-kind 14k gold promotional brush. It sold for $400 in 1947.

Knights_Head_handle_brush.jpg Knight_brush_Silver.jpg

TitanTTB, RyX, Edison Carter and 3 others like this.
  13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

WOW :eek: even the sterling silver at $400 would be almost $4500 today.

bladeshark likes this.
  14. bladeshark

Here is another view of it

3350_shave_brush.jpg

TitanTTB, RyX and Jorvaljr like this.
  15. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I'm wondering where the gold original got to. Hmm... Sherman, set the Wayback machine for Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, May, 1947!

BTW, I love the quote in that second article: "No woman today goes for a guy with a beaver."

bladeshark, Shadow Shaver and Enrico like this.
  16. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:sad027: and I thought brushes were getting expensive these days.

Thank you for posting that

bladeshark and Enrico like this.
  17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

It's funny when Rubberset stated that they sold many $1000 brushes in the 20's. WOW!!!

Keithmax and bladeshark like this.
  18. Shadow Shaver

Shadow Shaver Well-Known Member

I'm glad that you found such an amazing set. Thank you for sharing the history with us.

Keithmax, RyX and bladeshark like this.
  19. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Don't shave with it. Just lock it up in a vault for safe keeping and surround it by a motte..:transport024:

bladeshark likes this.
  20. bladeshark

I must say this one has been quite rewarding. I'm not going to wet the brush again. Knowing it's history and that right now it's 71 years old is just awesome. What a wonderful research project that finally came together.

It's going into the safe tonight to be appreciated only on occasion so that I don't take it for granted.