Memorial Day Weekend

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Scorpio, May 24, 2008.

1. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I wanted to remind you all to take a moment to think about the meaning of this weekend. Please take a moment to thank and pray those brave men and women of our armed forces who put their lives on the line and for those who made the ultimate sacrifice for you and me.

Travel safely and buckle up!!!

To the colors that never run!!! May the wings of freedom never loose a feather!!

Raf

2. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

May God bless everyone who has fought and died to keep us free.
    Thanks to all who have served and are serving our country now.

Happy Memorial Day

3. soulshine

soulshine Flower Power

To any Vets here on this board who may have served, their families & anyone who is currently involved in protecting our Country....thank you and God Bless.

4. dmikel

dmikel New Member

Where do we get people like these that serve our country? We are so lucky to have them.

SGT E-5 67-70

5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I spent yesterday visiting the D-Day Memorial. A very nice and educational memorial to some of the many who have served to protect our country's and other's freedom.

I'm also reading, The Bedford Boys. An excellent read, and an emotionally charged story.

Thanks and God bless all who have served and are currently serving our country.

6. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

+1

7. SuperSpeed

SuperSpeed New Member

How can we repay those who have made the ultimate sacrifice? How can we honor those who are in harm's way as I type this for their unselfish dedication??

I know of no way to fulfill our obligation to these fine human beings, save to take a moment and reflect on the magnitude of it all. Whenever you are presented with the opportunity...THANK A VET! :D

--Morrie

8. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

My son is in the Navy and he says that when he is off base, but in uniform, people come up to him all the time and thank him - one guy even bought him and his buddy lunch when they were at the airport waiting for their flight! So very different from the Vietnam days. Thank God!!!

Will, has that been your experience?

9. Will

Will Nevermind

I try to lay low. I don't do this for praise.

When people do find out it happens, and it is much appreciated.

Oh yea, thank a vet this weekend.

10. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

He certainly doesn't do it for praise either, but he is grateful that people appreciate what you guys do.

11. Will

Will Nevermind

My apologies, it sounds like you took what I said as hostility, it is not I a sure you.

12. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Huh? Not at all, my friend. If that's what it sounded like, it was certainly not what I intended! We're good.

13. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

"As we honor their memory today, let us pledge that their lives, their sacrifices, their valor shall be justified and remembered for as long as God gives life to this nation. And let us also pledge to do our utmost to carry out what must have been their wish: that no other generation of young men will every have to share their experiences and repeat their sacrifice."
    --Ronald Reagan, Arlington National Cemetery, Memorial Day, 1982

14. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Letter to Mrs. Bixby:

Executive Mansion,
    Washington, Nov. 21, 1864.

Dear Madam,--

I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle.

I feel how weak and fruitless must be any word of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save.

I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.

Yours, very sincerely and respectfully,

A. Lincoln

15. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

I know I'm not a US citizen, but Aussies and Americans have had a long and friendly history when it comes to service in war. I'd like to add my personal thanks to those American men and women who serve, who have served, and who have died in that service. My country owes a lot not only to our domestic service men and women, but to those of our allies as well. From our ANZAC day memorial service:

James.