Mergress XL vs Ikon OSS - a review

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PhilNH5, Jan 31, 2012.

1. PhilNH5

PhilNH5 Member

Ikon OSS versus Mergress XL

I received both of these razors for Christmas. I have been using them exclusively since then.
    I thought I would write a comparison of the two.

Study design is as follows.
    New razor blade in Mergress
    Day 1 -Soap A
    Day 2 – Soap B
    Day 3 – glycerin soap
    Repeat with same type of blades and soaps using Ikon. I used Feather, Israeli Personnas and Gillette 7 O’Clock blades
    PICT0010 (800x600).jpg PICT0011.JPG
    I included a ruler in the pics. But here are the dimensions in inches.

XL OSS
    1 ½ Head(w) 1 5/8
    3 5/8 Handle(L) 3 ¾
    4 1/8 Overall(L) 4
    These razors are similar in heft and size to the Merkur 38C barber pole HD. The XL has a shorter handle but due to the bottomplate thickness it is longer than the OSS. I find I prefer long handled and heavier razors.

Mergress XL

PICT0008 (800x600).jpg This is a hefty razor with a nice fit and finish. It is adjustable. The settings are from 1 to 5 plus. However there are no “stops” making it infinitelyadjustable. To adjust the XL is simple – you simply turn the knob. This makes it easy to change the setting during the course of the shave. Which I do depending on the pass number, the soap, the quality of the lather on a particular day, which part of my face I/m shaving or just for whimsy.

I started out with the low number setting but quickly moved to 3 and above. I use 5 for my first WTG pass. Across the grain I set it to 3. Against the grain is back to 5 for by face and neck. I use 3 or 4 for my ATG when shaving my chin and around my mouth.

This razor gives more acoustical feedback than any of my other razors. Everyone says their razor “sings” but this one truly does.

This is a heavy razor (sorry I do not have a balance so I do not know the actual weight). But it is well balanced. I think the long adjustment knob sets off the head nicely. I do not have to bear down.

Ikon OSS
    PICT0007.JPG This too is a nice hefty razor. The fit and finish is excellent. A beauty to look at hold and even fondle. When I first received it the head was squeaky and hard to attach to the handle. I was disappointed and considered returning it. But my future son in law who works in a machine shop and is also a wet shaver said it was nothing to worry about. He said after a few uses that would go away – and he was right.

The OSS has an open tooth side and a bar side. The head is an 1/8” wider than most. This covers up the ends of the blade. Aesthetically very pleasing but no effect on shaving for me.

When I started shaving with the OSS it became obvious that the open tooth side is more aggressive than the bar side. I pondered over when and how often to use each side. I was worried I would favor the tooth side and essentially have a single edge razor. After using it I don’t really think about which side. I do make sure I get the final ATG on my face with the tooth side. Other than that I use it like any other DE.

This razor is a singer as well. Not as loud as the XL but louder than most of my other razors.

This razor is also hefty. But a little handle heavy. I have to bear down a little to get the smoothest shave. I do it automatically and it is not an issue

Overall
    Both are excellent razors and I would recommend either. But I give a nod to the Mergress XL.
    I consistently get excellent shaves with it. The Ikon OSS is almost is good. But I have to work harder to get an excellent shave though one not quite as good as the Mergress XL.

I have a total of 20 DE razors, most vintage and some new. I can see myself using just the XL and OSS from here on in.

dadvest likes this.
  2. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Excellent review. Thanks for sharing. I've thought the concept of the dual sided OSS is a nice idea and wondered how it would play out in day-to-day use. It sounds like you will keep enjoying both razors for quite some time.

3. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Nice, thorough review. Thank you. :eatdrink047:

4. bdlehr

bdlehr Member

Thanks for the great review.

Barry

5. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Great review. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

6. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

Thanks for the review and the images..

I have been a big iKon fan.. And, though I have owned two Mergress razors, I returned both because they each left me disappointed for different reasons. I've given up on them. Same for the Futur, which was my first razor.. Can't seem to get them to give me an enjoyable shave.

My thought on the new iKon is that the open tooth is best for your first past, especially when you have a day or two of growth, and the safety bar side is to be used for your final pass and touch-up. Clearly we know there are no rules and we should use our razors however ever we find them most comfortable and effective. That said, I think you said you don't pay attention to which side of the razor you're using and I find that odd. Can you elaborate??

7. PhilNH5

PhilNH5 Member

"I think you said you don't pay attention to which side of the razor you're using and I find that odd. Can you elaborate?? "

MikeIM,
    With the OSS I find the tooth side to be more aggresive and for me a better shave. I was worried that I would favor the toothed side and wind up with essentially a SE, making half as many passes and doing twice as many rinses. I didn't want to shave that way. I also did not want to fret over which side was being used. Am I favoring the tooth side? If so is this side of the blade more dull than the other? Should I flip the blade? If so, when? Way to complicated at 5 AM.

My shave is a relaxing ritual. By pondering all of the above it would be decidedly less pleasant. So I made a conscious decision to use the OSS as I would any symmetrical head DE. I shave until one side of the razor is filled with soap. Rotate the razor handle and shave with the other side until it is filled with soap. Rinse. Repeat as neeeded.

I do my last pass always with the tooth side. For me this gives the best shave. It is the same reason I crank the Mergress XL back up to 5 for my final pass. And even at 5 AM I can remember to do last pass with with the tooth side. SoI really give an OSS shave no additional thought compared to a "normal" DE razor. And I still get an excellent shave.

Phil

8. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Kind of an interesting "versus" thread since it's like comparing apples to bell peppers... adjustable to 3-piece. But a nice read.

9. Shayne Redfearn

Shayne Redfearn Active Member

thanks for the review...i enjoyed reading up on these razors, I have considered many times buying one...but the price is awful hefty lol

10. PhilNH5

PhilNH5 Member

I did the comparison because of three reasons
    1. I got them both at the same time.
    2. Due to bullgoose's sale on the ikon both the Mergress and the ikon were similar in price.
    3. Both are relatively high end razors

but you are right - it is an apple to oranges comparison.
    I thought if someone was considering a high end razor this might help.

IAmTheJody likes this.