Merkur 20c

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MikekiM, Feb 1, 2012.

1. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

No pics to share but thought I would offer some feedback on the razor. I'll try to add them or link up to some stock photos..

I bought a new 20c from Lee's Razors.. I met up with Lee and he had both long and short handle versions and I needed no time to decide.. the long, skinny and heavy handle was for me. The knurling is in a spiral pattern instead of the more common hex pattern. It quite deep and makes for an awesome secure grip. It was the black anodizing that first attracted me and in person the matte black didn't disappoint. I have to admit I would like the polished silver oval ball-ends more if they were brushed but they match the head perfectly and the finish is impeccable. Right down to the Merkur log cast into the bottom of the end-cap.

The head casting is perfect, as is the finish. I have a Lord three piece and the head is visually the same as the Merkur from a design perspective, but the finish on the Merkur is far better.

The safety bar head design had me a little concerned because I had tried regular safety bar razors in the past and found them too mild. Open combs and slants were my preferred head designs. But I have to think my technique has gotten much better as this razor gives me an outstanding and effortless shave. I find it as smooth and comfortable as a SuperSpeed or Lady Gillette, with the results of a Fatboy on nine or an iKon OC. My favorite combo is the 20c with a Personna Med Prep.. oh my!!

I have struggled to put any other razors in rotation.. I've used the 20c head on all sorts of handles and the shaves keep coming up spades.. Overall, I love the Merkur 20c!!