Merkur 25C OC Close, but no cigar...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by mwleach58, Jul 9, 2011.

1. mwleach58

mwleach58 Active Member

I use three different razors and two different blades.

Merkur 42N(1904) Bar
    Merkur 25C Open Comb
    Merkur 39C Sledge Slant

Feather
    Personna Labs

With the 1904 & the Slant, each loaded with a Feather, I have to check to see if I've actually loaded a blade. That's how smooth each is. I can achieve a BBS shave with the Slant in 2 passes... 3 passes with the 1904.
    When I load either the 1904 or Slant with a Personna Lab, I get the same smooth BBS, but I'm more aware of the presence of the blade. I think this is a function of the Personna Lab being quite sharp, but not quite as sharp as the Feather. Still marvelous though.

My 25C OC, on the other hand, is a different story altogether. I actually hear either blade (Lab or Feather) scraping my face. I'm very aware that there is a blade on my skin. I have never been able to achieve BBS with this razor. I have to resist the urge to keep making more passes and touchups. The final shave is still visually acceptable, but feeling my face, I like it less and less, knowing that the other two razors will do a better job. I imagine that this is a function of a different blade mounting angle in the razor coupled with blade gap etc etc. As a result, I'm wanting to use this particular razor less and less.

My quandry is, that I'd like to replace the 25C OC with something else, a middle razor of some sort, and something with a bit more bite, and of greater weight. My mental argument is that since I can easily obtain BBS with either the 1904 or the Slant, do I really need a 3rd razor?? Rationally, I don't, but there's a little voice telling me to get another razor.... most of you will probably identify with this urge!!!!

I'm still mulling over this problem in my mind, while browsing the offerings on Italian Barber.... (Oh look! New soaps!!!)

Does anybody else have similar observations with this particular razor, or perhaps suggestions as to the razor I might be looking for? I considered a 38C, as I like the heavy, long-handled instruments, but the 38 seems to be pretty similar to the 39, just with a straight gap rather than the slant.