Merkur 34 G VS Gillette tuckaway

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by myles wilson, Mar 7, 2021.

1. myles wilson

myles wilson Moth Ball Mouth

I know I can't be the only one who visually thinks the Merkur 34 G looks like a hybrid design between a Gillette Bostonian and a tuckaway? Personally I might like the look of the Merkur more, as far as shave quality goes, the gillette might be better. I've never owned or tried the Merkur before so I can't judge the shave quality between the two.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    upload_2021-3-7_15-22-29.jpeg

2. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

I have the Merkur. The gold plating does diminish somewhat the knurling on the handle, but otherwise it's the same as the Merkur 34c. If you like Merkur razors, the 34 is a great daily shaver and can even tackle several days of whisker growth.

3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I've never used a Tuckaway, but own and enjoy a couple Merkur 34C which is the same as the Merkur 34G. The Merkur 34C is mild and intuitive, but very enjoyable; I would guess that a Tuckaway is more efficient.

:)

4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I can't compare it to the Merkur34C, but for me, the Bostonian is an excellent open comb razor. But the Merkur bakelite is also very good, smooth and efficient.

5. myles wilson

myles wilson Moth Ball Mouth

I used to own a Tuckaway (wish I still had it), just because it might be small doesn't mean that the open comb will not bite back ;)

6. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Wait, you're saying there are some razors that look an aweful lot like other razors?
    :signs089:

myles wilson likes this.
  7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

And some that don’t

Hussy
    Berkeley adjustable
    Early Schlick repeaters