Merkur DE Throwdown

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by hyperwarp, Jul 12, 2007.

?

Merkur DE Throwdown !!!!

1. 1904

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  2. Long Classic

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. Classic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. HD

11 vote(s)
    22.9%
  5. Slant Bar

16 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. Progress

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  7. Futur

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  8. Vision

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  9. 12c

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  10. 38c/Barber Pole

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. hyperwarp

hyperwarp New Member

Vote for your fave Merkur mowing machine.

Heck Vote Early & Vote Often....Multiple Votes allowed to Smackdown for your favorite Fixed Blade model & SlamDunk your fave Adjustable model while you're here.

Comment on your choice to help educate other members.

2. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Comments

#1 Slant Bar

Would never be without it. Great mowing-machine

#2 Progress

Had it, sold it. Will buy it again.

Futur (didn't vote on, but .02-->) - Had it, sold it, got another one.....still evaluating, but again not sure if I like it. Too heavy?

3. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I voted 38C and it's my goto when I need a break and my HD slant is my #1 used razor but I have a 12C on the way. Who knows. :D

4. hyperwarp

hyperwarp New Member

Am going back 'n forth on my 1st adjustable....Prog, Fut, or Vis...so many fine choices...But if you've had it, sold it 'n got it again, that's a purdy good sign !!!

Then again, i wanna 38C too !!!!!!!

Hawk likes this.
  5. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Yeah, its a good sign alright.........a sign that I am a sick, sick pup :happy001

Switchermike likes this.
  6. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

SLANT !

......jury's still out on the Futur :eek:

7. herzi

herzi Active Member

Voted HD and Futur. The Futur is a very nice shaver and I had a HD but I sold it. Now I miss my HD. I will probably get another

8. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

I voted Slant and HD.. Dont wanna live without either one..

9. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

HD for me - the only one I've tried ;)

10. johnniegold

johnniegold New Member

23c. The Long Handled Classic. This is the only razor I've used that I felt compelled to write a review about. For me, it is my favorite razor. Something about the longer handle helps me attain a better blade angle, perhaps more appropriately stated, provides easier manueverablity at the right blade angle than shorter handles. All the Merkurs I have are excellent shavers (Futur, HD, Slant, EJ B&B) but it seems that I always look forward to getting back to the 23c. YM... ah heck, you already know that.

* awaiting the arrival of the Progress from Vintage which will probably end up a Mergress.

11. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

You should try the 38C or 12C then if you like the 23C so much.

12. icemncmth

icemncmth New Member

I have three that I use in rotation...

LHC...Slant..and Mergress!

13. hyperwarp

hyperwarp New Member

LOL...now that I think about it SLANT used'ta mean sumtin' a whole lot different 2 me !!! But then I was young, single, well-off 'n living in lotus-land (California)...now, am old, married, broke 'n living in the Third World part of South Florida -- SLANT's a RAZOR....It figgers...

14. johnniegold

johnniegold New Member

Sorry. I excluded the 38c from my list. I do have that one and my preference is still for the 23c. As to the 12c, I do not own any open combs. Ummmm.... no, no snap out of it.

15. Padron

Padron Active Member

I voted slant, I don't have an HD or 38C yet :(

16. hyperwarp

hyperwarp New Member

FLASH ALERT !!!! MERKs R JUNK ????

If you haven't read Mike Sandoval's stunning, indeed, shocking interview with Charles Robert's, you are really missing something good. Something very good.

Here's the link. Clik it & proceed to QUESTION #5 for a real (imho) controversy. Then weigh in with your thoughts & opinions based on your Merkur experiences.

http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1968

17. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Everyone is welcome to their opinions. No need for controversy.

18. hyperwarp

hyperwarp New Member

Level of Expertise often elevates an opinion

to the realm of controversy.

Nothing wrong with controversy. Great things come of controversy. When a highly regarded Shavist classifies the complete line of razors that most of us use as unworthy & clownish, that's controversial to me....:eek: and very stimulating.

If I'd have expressed the same opinion, it wouldn't be controversial because it's just an opinion from an average joe that doesn't mean doodly squat. Coming from one of the great living Shavist's, an icon of modern shaving, it's deliciously controversial & provocative. Agree or disagree this is something to really SAVOR & RELISH.

Mike's interview was absolutely top notch & "extractive" in a way that hardly any professional journalist's are able to achieve. They'd love too but they usually just end up failing to do so.....Mike really rose to the heights by asking great questions that got great responses from his subject.

I'll be reading and re-reading it many times in future....Just hope another installment is coming from his pen...

19. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Unless of course the person making the comments was maybe planning to create their own line of razors or selling competing razors or maybe got locked out of selling the razors by the manufacturer. :D I'm not saying this is the case at all. I'm just playing devil's advocate because I own a very competitive retail business and see all sides of our product industry. Razor industry would be no different.

20. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I guess if that is how you look at it.

By the way, questions were submitted by TSD members, relayed to Charles by Mike, and answered by Charles. Mike does deserve a great deal of credit, but so do others.

Thanks everyone for a great interview!