Merkur Futur Love it/Hate it

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dougr, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Racso_MS

Racso_MS Enjoy Your Shave

I would be more than happy for you to give me this razor for safe keeping. Wouldn't want it to get rusty and all and I promise to never give it back. I only have several "MERKUR" razors and what's one more among friends. :happy102 I asure you I will use it and make sure it lives up to it's standards and will discipline it if it fails to provide me with the shave my other two provide. :D After all my avatar says it all.

v/r
    Oscar

2. Dandaman

Dandaman Member

I'm sure you would take good care of it. But I shall endeavor to come back to it later and try again. I have had a few experiences where the second time around was a different story. But overall, YMMV rules. At the moment, my 2nd generation "iCon" rules on my face.

3. skvinson

skvinson New Member

Just read through this thread. I've always loved the looks of the Futur. Now I'm really wanting one!

4. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

For about three weeks recently, I was traveling and some of it was by air. I left my Futur at home and traveled with a Trac II and a Flair tip Rocket. While the TV Special Rocket was packed in my checked luggage and worked very well, it is not the same nor as enjoyable as the Future. When I came home and brought the Future out of hibernation again..........WOW....:happy088

5. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Tim, dial it down to 1.5 and hold it lightly so as to let the heft of the

Futur do the work. Also, try several different types of blades; some will work for you better than others but it is a personal thing. Also, get your face really wet before each lather and put your razor in warm water until you get used to it.

6. Jason1977

Jason1977 Active Member

Never used it. When I get sick of my 34C, I guess I'll try new things, but I am very pleased w. it....

7. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

In case you have not heard, Merkur has discontinued making the 24k Gold Futur. Most of the stores that I checked are out of stock now.

8. Two shaves with mine so far---DFS the first shave----Fantastic shave this morning after a little tweeking-----4.5 with an Astra SP---WTG--ATG--ATG---same setting for all 3 passes.

9. Throughpoint

Throughpoint New Member

Hey guys. I have a regular Merkur HD 34C Safety Razor. Would you recommend a Futur for someone who's been shaving with a DE for about a year?

10. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Absolutely...I started with a 40's SS and after several weeks got my Futur and started shaving with it immediately. Do try 1.5 and get used to it before moving to a more aggressive setting. Enjoy:happy088

11. Str8shvr

Str8shvr New Member

THING IS SO BIG!!! Man I just bought the adjustable that they make w/ the ivory handle base and it is heavy but that thing is crazy!! feel like i am working out shaving if i had that!

12. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Think the Futur is big? Compare the Futur on the left with the Merkur Vision adjustable on the right side below.

[​IMG]

awake2shave likes this.
  13. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Great picture Bill and big is how you see it compared to what you have. I might mention that balance is also to be considered and the Futur is well balanced when I shave with it.:happy096

14. imabel2

imabel2 New Member

Futur enroute

My futur should arrive tomorrow or Friday. I am really looking forward to using this razor after reading all the posts in this forum. I love the Mergress (converted progress), but I can hardly wait to try the futur. I have used the Gillette Slim and Fatboy adjustables back in the 50's, and 60's to shave with but they don't hold a candle to the Mergress and I hope the Futur is even better. YMMV of course.
    Mike

15. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Mike, how is the new Futur going? The Mergress is a good comparison and quite different IMHO; they are a great rotation and I found a vintage 40's Feather several months ago that is fun and totally different as well.

16. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

James, what makes the vintage Iridiums so desirable that people pay over $1 a blade? And, do they preform well in a Futur or do you need a Feather-type razor to make them work?

17. Tuco

Tuco Member

Love it. My favorite.

18. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

The Futur or the Iridium blades?

19. Dandaman

Dandaman Member

I have another thought on this razor. This is one of those razors known for it's "singing" feedback. I'm thinking it makes the noise it does because the blade edge is exposed further back towards the center of the blade than in most razors, and this allows the thin metal more chance to vibrate. Perhaps the increased vibration causes more irritation on some people. Anyway, it's an idea. I find this razor to be high on the aggressiveness scale, even when dialed down to relatively low settings. I really like most things about this razor, but it's a chore for me to get a comfortable shave with it.

20. Gibbs

Gibbs Member

Are you positive about this? Was there something written up from DOVO/Merkur that says they are not making the gold plated model any more?

BTW I bought a used Futur for 50.00 and free shipping. It's on it's way here as we speak... waiting... waiting.. :D Her husband shaved a few times with it and went back to his Gillettes.... and there it sat. Inluded with it are the box, instructions etc. Just has been shaved with about 3-5 times is all. That's nothing in the life of a DE razor.