Merkur Vision

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by newb, Apr 24, 2011.

1. newb

newb Resident Newb

I've been intrigued by the looks of the vision since I started d/e shaving. But, the price has always seemed too high, so I've waited and tried to acquire one on the second hand market for about 1 year. No success. So I bit the bullet and ordered a new one from West Coast. SO the wait begins. First I had RAD, then I had str8 AD, now I just finished with a major case of Horsehair BAD. Now another razor:eek: All in all though, it was cheaper than some of the common fat boys and red tips I've seen sell recently on the bay for insane prices. :shocked003 SO, does anyone use one of these Big visions regularly ?

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I don't have a Vision, but fondled one on my visit to Pasteur's. They are big razors. I'm not sure about any good or bad with them, but if you don't wear a mustache technique will need to be developed to fit that thing under your nose. I'm thinking along the same lines as parallel parking a Suburban.

DesertTime likes this.
  3. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

No doubt about it--the Vision is a super razor, but I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner, because it's very aggressive.

DesertTime likes this.
  4. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

It is an awsome razor and harder to load blades and clean after shaving for those of us with stiff hands because of the tto action vis-a-vis the Futur where you can use the thumb to pop the top off. The weight and balance is outstanding and it is an automatic shave with very light pressure needed. It is part of the shaving experience and journey IMHO.:happy088

5. I'd love to have him one day ...

6. onotoman

onotoman Member

When your Vision arrives learn how to take it apart for cleaning - this is especially important if you live in an area where water leaves deposits in kettles, washing machines etc - I never remember if this is hard water or soft water.

Anyway, with the Vision - CLEAN IT OFTEN, it's a great razor but if it gets gummed up inside the shaft holding the silo doors will shear off. I've had a few returned with this problem and in each case, it's been because the inside has been gummed up with water deposits, soap and the like. Merkur supply service parts to replace the shaft, but better not to let it happen in the first place.

Enjoy it when it arrives :)

Tdmsu likes this.
  7. ColtJustice

ColtJustice Well-Known Member

I started with a Vision several years ago, and it was nicking me so bad, I stopped and bought an electric.
    Recently, I decided to start using it again. I'm still getting nicks, but not as many, as I've given it a new appreciation and went slow. Seems to always give me some irritation, just a little most of the time, and because of its size, I can't get it to shave my neck around the jaw very close.
    I've been getting better with it and was just getting to the point where I can shave without any nicks, albeit sometimes opening a couple of moles on my face. But the Alum takes care of it nicely, and a styptic pencil is always a must.
    But now I've broken it trying to clean it, so I bought a Merkur 34c (which, with only one shave, was awesome) and a Futur clone, which I haven't used as of yet (I just arrived today). I hope to get my Vision working again soon.

Tdmsu likes this.
  8. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I just got a Vision and it has a learning curve to be sure. The letters really don't help in setting the blade exposure. I have not disassembled it yet. Today was the best shave with it so far. It seems to like Personna Platinum blades better than Voskhod.

9. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Bringing this thread back!
    6b0952a6-7c0d-4afa-af66-1a7b69067853.jpg GoArt_20190920_062810_5772354086929591384.jpg
    I've really been enjoying my Vision!
    I used it wide open two days in a row and the second shave was better than the first. I was expecting some tenderness and even irritation, but going slow and using no pressure made for a superb shave today.

Edison Carter and Str8on2 like this.
  10. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

An excellent razor regardless of the material composition that it's made of. It's my No.2 in all my shave den only behind my RX. The Vision provides an amazing quality shave that is both smooth and incredibly efficient. A little maintenance required to keep it in tip top performance but, absolutely worth it.

Happy shaves....

brit, Edison Carter and Tdmsu like this.