Michael Nesmith

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by gorgo2, Dec 10, 2021.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Dead at 78. I appreciate much of his solo work. Now there's only Mickey.

Paul Turner likes this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Right, like Barry Gibb being the only BG left. But right-Mike was the one with the big guitar-loved his opener for "A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You".

gorgo2 likes this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Read today that he was behind the idea of MTV.

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I think it was more the idea of the music video was his, and MTV developed out of that but wasn't his per se.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  6. jimjo1031

Yeah, it was his idea, and from an article I read in Rolling Stone, they credited him for being the "architect".

7. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

The Monkees was one of my favorite TV shows when I was a kid. To be honest, I am surprised that any of them lived this long. That show was over 50 years ago, and the band members were adults even then. It is good that Mike was around as long as he was, and sad hear that he passed.

8. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

They were adults but barely, ranging in age from 19 to 22 when The Monkees started.

I imagine Micky is feeling mighty lonely right now. Davy passed in 2012, Peter in 2019 and now Mike.

RIP to an American icon and legend.

Sara-s and jimjo1031 like this.
  9. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

He inherited a fortune after his mother died. She invented Liquid Paper, which at the time she branded as Mistake Out. After trying to sell the invention to IBM, and they declined, she continued on with her company, eventually renaming it to Liquid Paper, until 1979 when she sold her company to Gillette for $48 million plus royalties.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  10. jimjo1031

Yeah. He used some of his inheritance for music projects.

IAmTheJody likes this.