Micromatic Monday

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by GAW9576, Dec 2, 2019.

1. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

The brush was from a PIF on another site. I can't take credit for that one. And this Treet is in very good condition. I've wanted one for a while bit the few I saw looked pretty rough.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    Ron R likes this.
  2. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MicroMaticMonday, May 11th 2020, Good morning with a hint of frost on my deck.

Razor: Gem Clog Pruf (Peerless model, 17 nib safety bar)- Mfg 1945- very nice mid range razor with good results.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (5) great blade, very sharp, great longevity and smooths out after a few shaves.
    Soap : Razorock "The Dead Sea" nice scent with good lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi timber-wolf 24 mm - just a great brush to use with tight packed fiber and soft tips - i'm spoiled.
    Pre shave: brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + clean up.
    Post shave: Razorock "The dead Sea" aftershave with witch Hasel + a tiny dollop of Nivea Men sensitive balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG] excellent shave with my Gem Clog Pruf.

[​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

Droo78, Ijustmissedthe50s and GAW9576 like this.
  3. GAW9576

So I had 2 ER visits today. Early shave late posting.

Yep that's right I used 2 Ever-Ready 1912s today. A British Peerless and an American with chain link handle. Unfortunately I am out of SS blades. I thought I had another 10 pack of them. Luckily I had a Pal carbon blade and I have a few Treet Carbons left that @Flintstone65 gave me. I'm not a huge fan of the carbon blades but it better than nothing. Oddly the British ER seemed milder than the American. Which os the opposite of what I've heard. I am going to have to take a closer look at both razors. Maybe some adjustments are needed. Anyway overall a good shave. I will have to revisit this comparison shave at a later date.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ron R, Droo78 and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  4. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEMonday May 18th 2020.

Razor: Gem Push button -Mfg 1958-65 I like the looks of this Razor and with it being black & gold sets it off to my eye.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(5) - One of the best all around blades in my den.
    Soap: Razorock Lavender- one of my favorites for scent with excellent lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi timberwolf whiskers 24mm - Very nice brush to apply lather to my face, soft tips & has not let me down.
    Pre-shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + clean up.
    Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender aftershave with witch hazel + a tiny dollop of Nivea balm on beard area.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 blemish weeper= [​IMG] Just a excellent shave with my Gem push-button.

GEMonday May18,2020 (2).jpg
    Have some great shaves!

Droo78 and GAW9576 like this.
  5. GAW9576

I had an excellent shave today with the GEMem MMOC and a creation by @twhite called the TAR. The TAR is on loan for a week so I'm trying to get as many shave as I can with it. The MMOC performed quite well with a 3rd use PAL carbon blade. And a mix of Cyril R Salter wild rose and alittle Cella made a great lather with the SHD two band badger.

[​IMG]

Droo78, Ron R and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SOTD, Thur, May 21st 2020

Razor: Gem junior 1912 parade with the baton handle-Mfg 1943, I find this 1912 model with this handle one of my favorites to shave with.The handle acts like a stand all in one. Also the corners of the base plate are rounded a little more than other older models IMO.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (6) just a great blade to use-very sharp, great longevity and smooths out after a few shaves.
    Soap: Razorock XXX- great freshness scent with excellent lather qualities.
    Brush: Razorock Plissoft 24 mm- great brush to lather with, soft tips, good splay with a nice scrub.
    Pre-shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + clean up.
    Post shave: Razorock XXX with witch hazel + a small dollop of Nivea sensitive balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG] excellent shave with my Gem jr. with the baton handle.

SOTD, Thur May 21st 2020 (2).jpg
    Have some great shaves!

7. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Tom White likes to collect and manufacture razors. He seems gifted with Machinist skills in making razors that are different and better than some of the mass produced stuff.
    His adjustable seems fatter in proportion than the Micromatic from the picture.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  8. GAW9576

Definitely an awesome razor. I enjoyed the week I had to try it out.
    It it definitely a thick handle and the razor weighs 164 grams.

Ron R likes this.
  9. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MMMonday + GEMonday, some of the fellows are using ASR circa razors during Memorial day shaving tribute to the Huge sacrifices on US citizens and world wide citizens. 1st and 2nd pass I used the my 1912-15 Damaskeene (used in WW1)open comb followed by 3rd pass with my Micromatic 1945 (Peerless model) Clog Pruf. The regular Micromatic Clog Pruf (mfg 1949-43) & Damaskeene closed comb(mfg 1915-19) were razors that were used also by US soldiers on the battle fields & oceans & air force soldiers during WW1 & WW2.
    In Canada we take time to think about the fallen & wounded on Remembrance Day.(11th hr-11th day-11th month .)

1918-Damaskene-military-outfit.jpg

Razor: Gem Damaskeene open comb - Mfg 1912-15 getting very hard to find in the wild but they do come up.
    Razor: Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf Peerless model -Mfg 1945 mid range razor that is well liked.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (7) great blade, very sharp,good longevity and does smooth out after a couple shaves.
    Soap: Proraso red sandal wood.
    Brush: Yaqi tuxedo knot 24mm synthetic- great brush for lathering, splaying and scrubbing with some back bone.
    Pre-shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
    Post shave : Proraso red sandal wood aftershave lotion with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 blemish weeper = [​IMG]great shave with my Gem razors.

MMMonday May 25th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ijustmissedthe50s, Droo78 and GAW9576 like this.
  10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

1914 . Handle is H&S.[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  11. GAW9576

I joined the Parade of Gem Junior Parades. I love the Baton handles and have 3 variations in my collection. This shave was excellent and darn near BBS. As always I love the Mer Shaving Fougere orange. This synthetic brush performs exceptionally well and is a joy to own and use.

Today's shave was with a fist use Gem SS PTFE blade. I ran the edge through a packing peanut before using to take out some of the potential harshness these blades tend to have. It seems to have payed off.

I recently received the RazoRock Hawk v2 from a friend and wanted to use it a little on this shave to test it out. Not a bad razor. I'll have to use it a bit more soon as I have been considering the Stainless V3 OC.

A splash of Thayers aloe cucumber was a great finish to a fantastic shave.

[​IMG]

Ron R, Ijustmissedthe50s and Droo78 like this.
  12. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SOTD, Sat May30th, 2020

Razor: Gem Micromatic open comb or MMOC- Mfg 1930-41, the razor that helped Gem pull through during the dirty thirties. One of best razors Gem made IMO and was revolutionary for its time with the first Twist to open(TTO) ever.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (10) great all around blade, sharpness, longevity and smooths out during its life cycle nicely.
    Soap: Tabac- great soap that lasts & lasts........triple milled with a mild floral scent with great lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi tuxedo knot 24mm with black marble handle, excellent brush that splays,scrubs,soft tips &paints well.
    Pre-shave:Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser+ a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups.
    Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender aftershave with witch Hazel + a small dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG] excellent shave with my Gem Micromatic razor today.

SOTD, Sat May 30th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Droo78, GAW9576 and jmudrick like this.
  13. GAW9576

I had an excellent shave with one of my favorite razors ever. The Gem Jr. Bar is an excellent smooth but efficient razor. This was my first use of this handle I recently made. I like longer handles bit I may have went a little overboard on this one. I'm planning on making myself another slightly smaller handle in a different color combo.

The Stirling soaps Almost Heaven is a wonderful scent and has good slickness. The jury is out on boar brushes. I want to like them but have not been impressed so far. The Thayers aloe formula with cucumber is so much better than the cheep witch hazel I had previously. I look forward to trying the rose when I'm ready to buy more shaving accoutrements.

[​IMG]

Droo78 and Ron R like this.
  14. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Nice handle with the marble effect to the eyes.

GAW9576 likes this.
  15. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEMonday, June 1st 2020, Good morning to all!

Razor: Gem Featherweight Generation 1 - MFG 1950-52 Gen 2 1953-54 .Nice milder razor to break in a new blade!
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (1) Great blade IMO.
    Soap: Razorock Irish Countryside- Mild scent with great lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi Rainbow brown whiskers(Mew) 26 mm- Very nice dense packed whiskers with soft tips with a good scrub.
    Pre-shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3+ pickups.
    Post shave: Razorock XXX [​IMG] with witch hazel + a small dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results : CCS,DFS,BbS + minor irritation + 1 blemish weeper=[​IMG]Great shave with my Gem Generation 1 Featherweight razor.

MMMonday, June 1st 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Droo78 and GAW9576 like this.
  16. GAW9576

Thank you @Ron R the white part is TruStone which is around 80% pulverized stone and 20% acrylic. Not sure what type of stone this one is. It may actually be marble. It can be a challenge to turn but finishes up beautifully.

Ron R likes this.
  17. GAW9576

I had a great shave with my oldest SE. This Kampfe Star Lather catcher is a great razor and I love the way this bullet casing handle feels and looks on this razor. The casing is from the honor guard at my Grandfathers funeral. The SR is a Challenge razor works Rifle razor. I figured it was a fitting combination.

[​IMG]

Enrico, Ron R and Droo78 like this.
  18. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SE SOTD, Wed, June 3rd 2020- I used one of the ASR family razor members today.

Razor: Everready 1914 (AKA little lather catcher)-MFG 1914-17> Just a great razor to use with a lot of Audio feed back, A mid range with excellent efficiency. This model has the first generation blade stops that are small IMO.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (2) great blade with sharpness, longevity, and smooths out during it's life cycle.
    Soap: Razorock Lavender- one of favorites with nice scent and great lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi tuxedo knot 24mm " Sagrada Familia" A Cathedral I visited in Barcelona Spain, Great brush to use IMO.
    Pre-shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser [​IMG] + a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pick ups.
    Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender with witch Hazel + a small dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + minor irritation + 1 Blemish weeper =[​IMG]great shave with my Everready 1914.

SOTD, Wed, june 3rd 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

GAW9576 and Droo78 like this.
  19. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SE SOTD, Thur June 4th 2020, Another ASR razor member today.

Razor: Everready streamline 2nd Generation model-Mfg 1949-53- Nice eye candy, but it needs good technique to enjoy even more IMO. Everready streamline razor 1949-53 2nd Gen-March 14 2019 (2).jpg
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(3) Great blade in all respects that checks most of the boxes,sharp,longevity & smoothness as the blade wears in.
    Soap: Barrister & Mann Seville- nice scent with good lather qualities IMO.
    Brush: Razorock Plissoft 24mm- great brush that I enjoy still after 3 1/2 years.
    Pre-shave: Brush wash my face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pick ups.
    Post shave: Razorock blue barber with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + minor irritation + 2 tiny weepers= [​IMG] very close shave with my ER Streamline razor.

SE SOTD, Thur, June 4th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

GAW9576 likes this.
  20. GAW9576

I tested 2 new to me razors today. A Gem 1912 and a Gem Junior. I didn't expect much difference in the shaves but the 1912 was more efficient/aggressive than the Junior. Both razors shave quite comfortably but there was a noticeable difference. The Sterling Almost Heaven with frost drops lathered very well with the synthetic brush. And the shave was very enjoyable all around.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Ron R likes this.