Micromatic Monday

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by GAW9576, Dec 2, 2019.

1. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Very true. Good way to look at it.

2. GAW9576

Great shave today with the Shovel head. I'm liking the weight and size of the adjustable handle on loan that @twhite made. The standard length is great for the majority of the shave and the extended length is very helpful for getting the back of my neck.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

3. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SE SOTD, Tue Nov3rd, 2020

Razor: Gem Flying wing, Guiding eye, MMBT...-Excellent daily driver, milder mid range and the heaviest of all the Micromatics.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (6) excellent blade, very sharp & smoothes out nicely, good longevity & predictable.
    Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch- excellent soap with mild refreshing scent with excellent lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi Timberwolf whiskers 24mm knot- excellent lather creator with cloud like soft tips.
    Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
    Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave: Proraso red sandal wood with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG] Excellent shave with my MMBT with a Gem coated blade.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

4. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SE SOTD, Thur, Nov05th, 2020

Razor: Everready 1914 with 1st generation blade stops [​IMG] Mfg 1914-17,mid range, very nice razor to use + great audio feedback. Also part of ASR razor family of company's.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(7)- excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely & predictable.
    Soap: Nivea sensitive cream- nice mild scent + great lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi timberwolf whiskers 24 mm synthetic- excellent brush with some backbone for a good scrub with cloud like soft tips.
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
    Prep: Cold water wash after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave: Witch hazel + Nivea balm +Nivea aftershave.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers =[​IMG]excellent shave with my Everready 1914 with a coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]

jimjo1031, brit, Droo78 and 2 others like this.
  5. GAW9576

I got to use 2 creations by @twhite today. The adjustable handle is great and worked very well with an ER 1914 head. The Wabbit is very efficient and delivered a close shave quickly. I see the Wabbit V3 has made some improvements and look forward to getting one printed.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

How has the Wabbit been treating you?

GAW9576 likes this.
  7. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEMonday, Nov 09th 2020

Razor: Gem Junior bar-Mfg 1907-11 Excellent razor, lower mid range, they got things right over 110 years ago with beauty.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(8) Excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity and smooths out nicely.
    Soap: Razorock Lavender- excellent lather with nice scent IMO.
    Brush: Yaqi lucky dice 26 + mm Tuxedo knot- excellent lather creator with cloud like soft tips.
    Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on my cleaned beard area.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 with pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave: Razorock King Louis lavender with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG]Excellent shave with my Gem junior bar and Gem coated blade.
    [​IMG]

8. GAW9576

I've had just a part of one shave with it. It shaved very close and comfortable but the handle angle is slightly awkward. I believe the V3 has addressed this issue.

Ron R likes this.
  9. GAW9576

Had a decent shave this morning. The blade was fading, this Gem 1912 usually shaves especially well. I binned the blade after only 6 shaves.
    I particularly like the adjustable handle by @twhite. It will be missed when it gets sent on its way. The Wickham 1912 Irish Fern has become one of my favorite soaps. It will be missed when it runs out, as I believe they quit making it.

20201109_074519~2.jpg

jimjo1031, Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  10. GAW9576

Trying out 2 recently acquired razors today.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

11. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

How was the Hussie, that is different travel razor? I have seen Jim Roe & Fuzzie use them.

GAW9576 likes this.
  12. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MMMonday, Nov 16th, 2020- Took out my ASR family member the Everready 1914 (AKA LLC)Little lather catcher for some folks who might not of heard that expression of this razor.

Razor: Everready 1914 or LLC+ 1st generation blade stops-Mfg 1914 -17>, excellent mid range, Excellent razor with great audio feed back.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(1) excellent blade in a lot of ways.
    Soap: Razorock Santa Marie del Fiore"Firenze" [​IMG] Excellent lather qualities with subtle mild vanilla tobacco scent that is addicting.
    Brush: Yaqi Rainbow brow whiskers 26mm- excellent lather creator with cloud like soft tips, great brush for big hands.
    Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on cleaned beard area.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave: witch hazel + Nivea refreshing after shave + a dollop of Avon "True Gent" balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers =[​IMG]Excellent shave with my ER1914 with a new coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]

jimjo1031 and GAW9576 like this.
  13. GAW9576

It was actually targeted as a woman's razor when originally sold from what I understand.
    It is an efficient razor and the shave was very comfortable, however the handle is a bit odd to use.

Ron R likes this.
  14. GAW9576

15. Dirtfarmer

Dirtfarmer Well-Known Member

Well, after being away for a while, I can maybe start posting a little more again. I was looking threw this thread and found the advert for the Gem with the "eye" and it dawned on me that I didn't have to put all my single edge razors in a shoe box under the bed. More angle dummy. Well, a while back I bought some Gem Persona PTFE blades and gave it a go in one of my Gem JR. 100% hated it and couldn't even get the first pass done. Switched to something else.
    Long story to say I used:
    Gem Micromatic Clogproof
    Gem Persona PTFE (1)
    Semogue 830
    Stirling Gatlinburg soap and splash
    Witchhazel with Tea Tree Oil
    Bulldog
    and a little more angle.
    3 passes with very little to no tugging and ended up with a very nice shave. I don't know if I could use it full time but it was nice to be able to use it at all.
    Does the Gem Jr's and that style razor use the same or close to the same angle?

jimjo1031, Ron R, GAW9576 and 2 others like this.
  16. GAW9576

To the best of my knowledge, with the exception of a few Ever-Ready razors most of the Gems and othar American safety razor family use the same shave angle.

17. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SE SOTD, Sat,Nov21st 2020

Razor: Gem Push button- Mfg 1958-65, lower mid range, I can crank out excellent shaves with beautiful looking razor.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (2) Excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely & predictable. Excellent $ Per/Sh.
    Brush: Yaqi lucky dice 26mm tuxedo knot, excellent lather creator with a lot more cloud like soft tips with a wee bit more back bone than the 24 mm Yaqi tuxedo knot, enjoy them both a lot.
    Soap: Gillette Pure & Remnants of tabac- excellent combo IMO, fragrance and lather qualities. Gillette has a nice scent IMO.
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar soap cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave: Razorock blue barber with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers= [​IMG]Excellent shave with my Gem Push button with a coated gem blade.
    [​IMG]

18. brit

brit in a box

cool shave and pic Ron,have a great weekend..:cool:

GAW9576 and Ron R like this.
  19. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Thanks Gary, have a great day!

GAW9576 and brit like this.
  20. GAW9576

I was out of town for the weekend but used the same setup today as Saturday. Great shaves then and today.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

jimjo1031, Droo78 and Ron R like this.