Micromatic Monday

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by GAW9576, Dec 2, 2019.

1. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

I disassembled a broken Micromatic and made the handle usable for any of my other razors. I would only do it to a non usable razor. If you display the razor that's cool just don't dispose of it. Some of the parts could definitely still be useful.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Hogie like this.
  2. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I won't toss it in trash. It is complete with blade holder, 2 vintage GEM blades, and the box it came in. It operates fine. Shame it turned out to be this way.

Ijustmissedthe50s and GAW9576 like this.
  3. GAW9576

Just be sure to inspect pictures closely if you look for a replacement. They are not uncommon razors so you should be able to find a razor on its own from a reasonable price in good shape.

4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    If I am seeing it correctly, your stops appear to be worn away. They should look like this:
    IMG_3582.jpeg IMG_3585.jpeg

5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    BTW, @GAW9576 is correct, a razor, in good shape, isn't too expensive. You already have the expensive parts.

Ijustmissedthe50s, Hogie and GAW9576 like this.
  6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Good thing you looked at the blade stops, once they are gone the razor should not be used. It looks like previous owner filed them off. Very rare to see that , I was sent one with a blade stop gone but the owner told me it was in rough shape and it was a freebie. Looks like Greg makes some nice handles from them.

7. GAW9576

Actually I should look around and see if I have the blade tray from the one I disassembled. It would be fun to see if I could swap out the tray. I think @Hogie wants to keep it for display purposes though.

Ijustmissedthe50s, Ron R and Hogie like this.
  8. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I would use it if it could be fixed. I have to look more closely at it to see how it comes apart.It is nice except for the missing stops.

GAW9576 and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  9. GAW9576

I'll at least see if I still have the parts and let you know. The disassembly wasn't easy but I took pictures. I was planning on making a post but never got around to it. There really isn't normally a reason to take one apart. Then again I'm not exactly normal.:D

Ijustmissedthe50s, brit and Hogie like this.
  10. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEMonday, July 4th, 2022

Razor : Gem Junior bar- Mfg 1907-11, excellent tame mid range, very nice with a new Gem blade for a close shave, well built to test of time, very enjoyable audio feedback + it's like going back in time a little this morning with this razor[​IMG].
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(2) very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
    Soap : Razorock Irish Country side, nice mild scent with excellent lather qualities.
    Brush : Yaqi Rainbow 26mm brown whiskers, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, great scrubber + excellent painter.
    Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave : Proraso green with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] excellent shave with my Gem Jr bar with a coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

11. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Well I saw that handle @GAW9576 and @Rosseforp had on their razors recently and thought why not make one for myself also to join the Micromatic handle conversion club brought back to life from the damaged razor bin. I had a Micromatic that was sent to me with a broken blade stop and it was taken apart for pictures of what one looks like disassembled. So with my hand tools I hacksawed the nip off and filed it flat and drilled it out 4.2mm and hand tap it 5mmDia X.8 mm pitch with a old tap I had. It will make a perfect handle for steep (riding the bar) shaving because I like a short handle for that type of shaving(less leverage, less weight and easy to maintain angle near the collar bone area). Total length just under 2 3/4 inches which is perfect for my needs and we all know they have excellent grip who have used a Micromatic.
    [​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

12. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

ASRazor shave, July 5th 2022

Razor : Ever-ready 1912, made in England later model 1912-Mfg 1936-53, excellent mid range, very gripey handle with the raised corners, Proven razor for over 100 years of use by ordinary folks, state of the art manufacturing for it's time line.
    Blade : Gem SS PTFE (3) very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
    Soap : Ogallala Bayrum & Sandalwood, nice Bayrum scent(some clove) with excellent lather qualities, different lather foam but excellent protection when the blade hits the face IMO.
    Brush : Yaqi Robin 24mm boar bristle, excellent lather generator, soft spilt end bristle hairs, nice scrubber + great lather painter.
    Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave : Ogallala Bayrum & Sandalwood(some clove)[​IMG] + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG]Excellent shave with my Ever-ready 1912 with a coated Gem blade.(one of those shaves it does not get better!)
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

13. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Nice looking Frankenrazor..............

GAW9576 and Ron R like this.
  14. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I left a less than stellar review and the seller has offered to send me a replacement. He was not too happy with my 3 star review. I told him he best look at what he is sending and not to sell broken or worn out junk. We shall see if he comes thru with replacement.

15. GAW9576

That's cool. Hopefully he follows through with a good razor.

16. GAW9576

Just having some fun today with two incredible razors on custom modified Micromatic handles.

IMG_06072022_215205_(1100_x_1100_pixel).jpg

Ron R, Ijustmissedthe50s and Hogie like this.
  17. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I always get such a nice shave from the Star 1912. Today was no exception. Second use of the GEM SS blade.

Soap continues to be the MWF and today I blended a dollop of Proraso White cream to the lather bowl before whipping cream in as well and whipping both to a nice rich lather for this 3-pass shave.
    Pre-shave was Proraso white
    Being throw-back Thursday, I also used the old "Perfecto" brush that I revived and brought back from the brink of the trash. It has stopped losing hairs.
    After-shave is Thayers Aloe & Witch Hazel, Proraso balm, and a splash of Pinaud Clubman.

This 3-pass shave was really pleasant. WTG, ATG, XTG left me BBS. It is so nice running my fingers over the face after the second pass. SO smooth!
    Alum bar raised zero feedback for a most enjoyable shave.

Back to the Hawk tomorrow. I may try a mild blade again or the ProGuard blade.

I hope all had a very nice shave to start the day! :)

DSCN8157.JPG

mrchick, Ron R, GAW9576 and 1 other person like this.
  18. GAW9576

This is a beautiful and very efficient razor. Nuf said.

IMG_12072022_233341_(1100_x_1100_pixel).jpg

19. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I want one! :)

mrchick and GAW9576 like this.
  20. GAW9576

Just be patient and keep an eye out. It never ceases o amaze me how many beautiful 100 plus year old razors are still out there.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Hogie like this.