Micromatic Monday

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by GAW9576, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Shaves are always pleasant with my Star 1912 SE razor.
    GEM Personna SS blade 3rd use
    The Mitchell's Wool Fat is holding up well to the daily use!
    Trafalgar T2 brush

3-pass shave WTG, ATG, XTG with no cleanup.

No feedback from the alum bar after this very nice shave.

DSCN8489.JPG

2. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Looks like a great setup. Nice watch too.

Ron R and Hogie like this.
  3. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Today was a nice end to the week of pleasant shaves with my vintage open comb razors. I end the week with a Micromatic shave.

Razor - Micromatic open comb with GEM Personna SS blade (3rd shave)
    Mitchell's Wool Fat (I forgot to take the lid off for the photo!!!!)
    Simpson Trafalgar T3 brush
    Proraso Blue pre-shave
    Thayers & Pinaud finish the shave.

The shave was another pleasant one. The blade is still sharp and efficient. I did manage to get 2 small nicks but, the alum bar took care of them both. One was low on my neck where I ventured off the cream protected areas! :angry032:

I did a 2-pass shave with cleanup. WTG & ATG.
    Alum bar gave minimal feedback. I will call this one a good shave!

DSCN8504.JPG

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
  4. GAW9576

Another great looking setup. And again nice watch.

Ron R likes this.
  5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Here's the way it goes down for Saturday(16th):

prep-Nivea 4 Men Bodywash(in shower)
    shave-Mitchell's Wool Fat
    brush-Albion(1925)-synthetic
    razor-Gillette Sensor Deuce Pivot DisposeABLE
    A.S.-Osage Rub

jimjo1031, Ron R, mrchick and 3 others like this.
  6. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

The replacement for the bad razor came and it is VERY nice! Nicer than the first one and almost new! Shiny!

DSCN8548.JPG

7. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEMonday- July 18th 2022

Razor : Gem Featherweight Generation 1( original low profile top cap)- Mfg 1950-52,Generation 2 1953-54, (higher profile milder top cap installed) Excellent tame mid range, great handling, 1OZ, I really enjoyed my shave this morning with this excellent razor.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(5) very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
    Soap :Razorock Santa Marie del Fiore, nice vanilla scent with light tobacco scent with excellent lather qualities, I like the scent of the soap more than the Aftershave.
    Brush : Yaqi Moka 24mm synthetic, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle scrubber + excellent painter.
    Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave : Razorock Santa Marie del Fiore with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless)
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Excellent shave with my Gem Featherweight + a coated Gem blade.
    Brush collage  July 18 2022.jpg
    Have some great shaves!

8. GAW9576

I had an excellent shave this morning with the Ever-Ready 1909. Today's watch is the G-Shock GWM-5610.

IMG_20220719_221415_(1100_x_1099_pixel).jpg

9. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Today was another exceptional shave. My new Micromatic open comb was pleasant for 3 passes. :)

Took quick shower but, will need another before bed after the heat today. Cool shower was nice!

Razor - Micromatic Open Comb with a GEM Personna SS blade (4th use)
    Pre-shave - TOBS Herbal Gel
    Soap - Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Brush - Simpson Trafalgar T2
    After shave - Thayers Toner & dab of Proraso balm and splash of AS

I tried the Scupper today and I really like how it works. It retains heat better than just pre-heating my ceramic bowl. Easy to hold onto with that big handle. I think I will save this for winter shaves but, I hadta try it out!

I had a very nice 3-pass shave WTG, XTG, ATG for a smooth face. No cuts, nicks, or errors. Alum bar raised no feedback.
    A most pleasant shave!

DSCN8609.JPG DSCN8612.JPG

10. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I jumped into the shower and then shaved. The Proraso Menthol was very nice. It was very nice and cooling to the face. The Star 1912 gave the usual very pleasant shave with lots of feedback.

Razor - Star 1912 with GEM SS blade 5th use (still nice and sharp)
    Soap - Proraso Green Menthol
    Pre-shave - Proraso Blue
    Brush - Simpson T3 Trafalgar synthetic
    After shave - Thayers toner & Geo F. Trumper "Sandalwood"

The combo of the pre-shave cream and the soap works well. Cooling to the face. I rinsed the razor with cold water and rinsed face between passes with cool water. 3-pass shave was very pleasant. WTG, ATG, XTG with no cleanup got my face really smooth! Alum bar gave zero feedback.

I hope all you guys stay cool today!

DSCN8626.JPG

11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Much nicer than the old one.

Ron R, GAW9576 and Hogie like this.
  12. Primotenore

Article Team
    MMOC on Saturday. This razor is on loan from my pal in Texas. Third shave with the Gem blade.
    IMG_3740.jpeg

Hogie, jimjo1031, Ron R and 3 others like this.
  13. Primotenore

Article Team
    Keeping with the MMOC theme.
    IMG_3746.jpeg

IMG_3747.jpeg
    Soap courtesy of @Keithmax
    Finished with two sprays of Guerlain Jicky.

jimjo1031, Hogie, Ron R and 2 others like this.
  14. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Glad to see that the soap worked for you, I know the scent is awesome and Jicky is the perfect follow up.

Ron R, Primotenore and GAW9576 like this.
  15. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEMonday, July 25th 2022

Razor : Gem Junior 1912 with baton handle- Mfg 1943 variant, nice mid range, I like this handle a lot, well made razor, Gem sold millions of variants of the 1912 over their life span because they where that good a razor IMO. I find the 1912 patented razor design outstanding and excellent for roaming the face effortlessly for stellar results.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (7) very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
    Soap : Yaqi Green [​IMG]- Very nice fresh scent with excellent lather qualities. Designed for Yaqi by Master soap Creations SA.
    Brush : Yaqi Cavern lake 24mm synthetic, Excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice scrubber + excellent lather painter.
    Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave : Yaqi Green[​IMG] with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Excellent shave with my Gem Jr 1912 with a coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

16. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Razor - GEM Featherweight
    Blade - GEM Personna SS (6th use and still sharp!)
    Proraso Menthol
    Simpson T3 Trafalgar
    Geo F Trumper Skinfood

The Featherweight was so nice, I plan on using it again tomorrow. I may redo this whole shave. It was that nice! The shave soap was not as cooling without the Proraso Blue pre-shave cream.

I have mastered this razor! Very pleasant shave. WTG, ATG, XTG. No cuts, nicks, or weepers. Alum bar raised no feedback.

This razor shaves REAL close even after the blade had been used 5 times already!

DSCN8680.JPG

17. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Gem Junior w/Baton Handle Razor
    Gem Stainless SE Blade
    FS Extra Dense Two Band Badger Brush
    Art Of Shaving Sandalwood Soap
    Sea Breeze Astringent
    Nivea Deep After Shave

Untitled.jpg

18. GAW9576

19. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I got so busy yesterday that, I never did shave. By the time I could have shaved, it was late in the day so, I decided to hold off till today. I had 2 musician friends call me to coax me to a music jam at the local senior center. The Featherweight had shaved me so close that I really didn't need to shave. Today's shave was very pleasant with the GEM Featherweight. I think I have mastered this razor. No cuts, nicks, or weepers! ;)

Razor - GEM Featherweight
    Blade - GEM Personna SS 7th shave (still sharp!)
    Soap - Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Brush - Simpson T1 Trafalgar
    Pre - Proraso "Blue" (cooling)
    After shave - Thayers & Geo F Trumper "Skin Food" Sandalwood balm

I had a VERY pleasant 2-pass shave with cleanup on jawline. This is a very efficient razor! I can go 2 days after shaving with this razor no problem. WTG, ATG and no cuts! No red spots! No red cream! I like it! LOL

I am still keeping low profile today due to back still sore but MUCH better. I been living on pain pills. Oh, and it looks like Vance & Hines is replacing the whole exhaust system for me!:)
    I thought companies didn't support their products these days (buyer beware) so, this is a pleasant surprise. Totally unexpected! Must have been the nasty email. LOL

DSCN8731.JPG

20. GAW9576

Last night's shave.

I love the look of this brass Gem Junior with a red baton handle from a Treet razor. Tonight's shave was excellent. The razors audio feedback is wonderful, especially on a Bakelite baton handle. Cella has always lathered easily and tonight was no exception. The Ruger scope brush hit the bullseye too. Thayers after shave balm was barely needed even though the shave was very close.

IMG_20220731_051052_(1500_x_1500_pixel).jpg